Need Advice And A Recipe. Last Minute Cake

Baking By chellescountrycakes Updated 3 Apr 2010 , 8:45pm by chellescountrycakes

chellescountrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chellescountrycakes Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 4:27pm
post #1 of 11

Okay, I have been bad adn havent went to church in a few weeks. (we have a farm, and have been really working hard on Sundays- Hubby's only day off)
anyway, tomorrow we are going, found out this morning that the members are bringing a desert.
I wanted to make a cake.
I was thinking a SIMPLE sheet cake (yes the dreaded S word) with a sculpted cross laid on top. (carved from a 2nd sheet cake)

I have a Wilton 11X15X2 cake pan.

I need to fill it up twice. This will be a 'stacked' cake, but only with a 2 inch high cross, that is porportioned to fit the sheet cake on bottom.

(do I need supports?? I have some wooden dowells)

I am OUT of box cakes. OUT.
Town is 30 miles away.

I just want a normal white cake, one I can 'stack' and is moist. I have normal cooking ingrediants here. Milk, water, flour, bakin powder, cornstarch.

I have a small amount of fondant left from my last cake, not sure what I will use it for. I dont have any marshmellows to make more.

I am thinking a sheet cake in a pastel color, with a 'wooden' cross on it. SO I would need to cover the cross in fondant to paint. which means the sheet would be in buttercream.
I thought if possible, and if I could do it I would make some dogwood flowers out of extra fondant. (no way to 'paint' in white) Unless someone has a better idea.

Please help me. I feel guilty not having been to church in a while, and my kids want to stay for the eating and egg finding, so I need to throw together something NICE and pretty. and that tastes good icon_smile.gif

And I know y'all are the best at doing that sort of thing! icon_smile.gif

10 replies
honeyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
honeyscakes Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 4:38pm
post #2 of 11

Ok! I hope this helps...
http://sugaredblog.blogspot.com/search?q=cross
I love Ms Sharon and her work.perhaps you can find some ideas and inspirations from this link to her posts on the communion cakes with cross and simple decor on them.
Basic yellow cake without the box from wilton.I like this recipe a lot.Everyone who ate this cake asks for this recipe.VERY DELICIOUS and easy!!!
http://www.wilton.com/recipe/Basic-Yellow-Cake

Hope this helps.Good luck.
- h

MyDiwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MyDiwa Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 5:05pm
post #3 of 11

Recipe:

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/2165/A-Better-White-Scratch-Cake

I understand you can substitute butter for the shortening if you prefer and 5 eggs instead of 10 eggs whites if you don't need a white, white cake. This recipe makes 10 cups of batter so you can scale down according to your need. It meets your requirements - white cake, simple ingredients, moist and stacks well. Here's a loooooong discussion on it:
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-654467-.html

I like the design on Sugared's blog with the strips of fondant on the bottom layer. Since you dont have that much fondant, you could ice everything in buttercream and then use fondant accents like that. Just find something with texture to roll over the fondant, even shelf liners.

As for supports, you will need supports under the cross, 3 dowels placed along the length should be sufficient.

chellescountrycakes Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 6:02pm
post #4 of 11

OMG!! THANK Y"ALL!!!!!

SOOOOO much!!!

I might just can pull this off! icon_smile.gif

the guilt is killing me- LOL

Me and the 4 kids are also dyeing eggs today. So, I cant spend ALOT of time working on a cake- or not as much as I usually do. LOL

KarmaStew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarmaStew Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 6:06pm
post #5 of 11

All people who don't go to church are not bad. Just like all people who go to church aren't good.

MyDiwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MyDiwa Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 6:41pm
post #6 of 11

chellebyerly - I think you're missing the whole reason Easter exists! Well at least the Christian part. Why are you feeling guilty? The whole point of Jesus' sacrifice is for us not to be or feel condemned. There is no condemnation in Christ! A little guilt is ok, but there's a difference between being kept in check by your conscience and being riddled with guilt and condemnation. The latter is not from Christ because it gives you a wrong motivation for doing things.

Just relax and enjoy this for what it is, a celebration of God's love for you and His ultimate gift to give you life. Chuck the guilt out before globs of it drop into your batter!

chellescountrycakes Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 7:04pm
post #7 of 11

LOL Thanks MyDiwa! icon_smile.gif You are 100% right. icon_smile.gif But when you drag 4 kids to a party, you try to bring a little something... LOL

Honestly, I've always heard about people who go to church and think it always has flowers around the alter (poinsettas or Easter Lillies) cause they only go twice a year. LOL I try hard NOT to be that person icon_smile.gif LOL

I just hate to go anywhere and not come with something.. ya know? and I really didnt know they were doing a big Easter thing, it just so happens that Hubbys day off was changed to not being Sunday anymore, and we can start back going to church, on the same weekend of Easter. which to me is VERY poetic and maybe a sign icon_smile.gif

He would go, and was going, but the last few month or so- with planting, babies being born, and just normal farm stuff, we couldnt. and since he only gets one day off, its the day we work from daylight to dark on things we cant do wtih out him.

I just dont want to be viewed as 'one of those' I reckon icon_smile.gif and hey- any excuse to make a cake right?? icon_smile.gif LOL

KarmaStew, I never said they were, or wernt. That was not my point. I'm sorry if I offended you. We do go to church, but are still the good people we were before we started going. No better, no worse, just happier with ourselves. I just hate to show up anywhere where I havent been for a while, and there is a party and I am the one not bringing anything. icon_smile.gif

Never meant this to be a debate on religion. I just posted why and where, because I talk alot. and tend to be VERY specific. And wanted to show WHY I am making a last minute cake that has to be wonderful. and why I want what I want ON the cake.

Now I just have to see if I can make a dogwood flower... Mine are all in bloom and are SOOOO beautiful. I dont think there is a prettier tree ever made.

KarmaStew Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 7:07pm
post #8 of 11

It's not a debate on religion, and you didn't offend me. I just feel sorry for you that you feel guilty for not going to church.

chellescountrycakes Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 7:27pm
post #9 of 11

NONONONO- thats not the guilt!! LOL!!! icon_smile.gif I didnt mean it to sound like that. I didnt grow up going to church (I grew up being told about God and knowing him, but can count my church going on ONE hand. LOL)

I just misworded it or didnt get my point across right.

I feel guilty showing up anywhere for a party where everyone else brings things, and I am bringing 5 extra mouths to feed and havent done a thing. icon_smile.gif

But I am also the one who volunteers for everything. PTA, baseball, differnt committees, LOL So I cant imagine not having done my part and then sitting down to reap the rewards.

maybe I put my comma in the wrong place. I feel guilty that I havent been in a while, didnt even know this was happening, and here we are walking in and throwing ourselves down at the table. My first thoughts were to just go to service, and then come home for our own stuff. (because I really didnt know this was planned--) BUT the kids want to stay. And they are homeschooled, so they really enjoy the extra kids around-- and I'd really like to also (real adult conversations... THAT is SOOO nice... LOL ) . But not with out bringing something. I am comfertable with my decisions to skip church and work my farm. That gives me no guilt at all. icon_smile.gif

Is that clearer?? LOL

KarmaStew Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 7:32pm
post #10 of 11

yup!

chellescountrycakes Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 8:45pm
post #11 of 11

whew! Thats better icon_smile.gif My husband says that he needs cliff notes to follow me when I get on a roll. cause even though I hear the thoughts in myhead, noone else does- icon_smile.gif

I made the white cake with the sour cream. its in the oven now- Only had one thing of Sour cream, and did have 2 box cakes, so I made the batch cake and put it for the large sheet cake- then made a smaller cake for the cross. Hope the two dont taste awful together, BUT one will be covered in Fondant, the other in BC, so maybe that will help. LOL

Thanks again!! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%