The Flower Nail Doesn't Work To Even Out My Cake....

Baking By brooksie429 Updated 5 Apr 2010 , 4:30pm by TexasSugar

brooksie429 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brooksie429 Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 4:00pm
post #1 of 10

I baked an 8in last night and I read that if you put a flower nail in the middle then it will cook evenly and more flat so that you don't have to level the cake because it will already be even. When I did it it still had the big bump in the middle... has this worked for anyone else and did I do something wrong?

9 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 4:05pm
post #2 of 10

Hi, I always use a flower nail and cakes come out flat. I never had a big bump. But I remove the crust on the top using my cake leveler. icon_biggrin.gif

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 4:06pm
post #3 of 10

I don't use the nail to level out my cakes, but to make sure the middle is done in the larger ones.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 4:16pm
post #4 of 10

I use a nail in larger cakes, not smaller ones (10" or down). I do bake on 335 degrees instead of 350 and it helps. I do still get a small bump sometimes but nothing bad. Sometimes I level it and sometimes not.

MyDiwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MyDiwa Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 5:09pm
post #5 of 10

One trick someone shared with me was to spin the pans once you've put the batter in. It helps even out the batter because you generally never pour it into the pan evenly.

I have never used the nail, but I have used the baking strips and they worked for me.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 5:25pm
post #6 of 10

All the usual tricks (flower nail, baking strips, mashing down the top) reduce the bump, but you ALWAYS need to level. You may not be taking a lot of cake off, but you ALWAYS level.

katies_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katies_cakes Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 12:41am
post #7 of 10

The flower nail wont make your cakes level, if your lucky it will reduce the bump slightly but you still need to level it. the nail is used purely to promote even baking (so that the edges of the cake dont overcook before the middle is done)i use a nail in all pans 8" and over, but i do use 4"deep pans. and i always get a small bump. HTH

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 1:15am
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by catlharper

I don't use the nail to level out my cakes, but to make sure the middle is done in the larger ones.

This is my understanding of it's purpose... icon_smile.gif

brooksie429 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brooksie429 Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 3:54pm
post #9 of 10

Thanks guys! I had no idea! I will definitely continue to use the flower nails to help it cook more evenly in the middle icon_smile.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 4:30pm
post #10 of 10

The flower nail helps the center bake faster, so that it bakes more evening and you will have less of a hump. The bake even strips slow down the baking from the outside in, again reducing the hump.

I bake almost every cake with both bake even strips and a flower nail. I also bake at 325, thus baking slower.

If I am doing a single layer cake I don't worry with the little hump I get. By the time it cools upside down on the rack the little hump doesn't bother me. If you are doing layers of cake, or stacking as Leah said I'd still trim/torte.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%