Help!! Fondant Decor. On Cupcakes Bent Over And Shiny

Baking By CypressCakes Updated 5 Apr 2010 , 2:02am by CypressCakes

CypressCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CypressCakes Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 2:01pm
post #1 of 4

I am new to posting, so bare with me icon_smile.gif

I made cupcakes yesterday (Friday) for Easter weekend. I made a swirl of buttercream on top. I used some mini Easter cookie cutters to cut out Easter shapes from fondant. I let the fondant decorations dry most of the day, then drew faces, etc. on with edible markers. Last night, after swirling the buttercream on top, I stuck in the fondant decorations. I put them in my cake carriers, and covered them for the night. This morning I go in the kitchen and look, and all the fondant pieces on top of the cupcakes have belt over and are very shiny. I took off the lids and the fondant is sticky. HELP!!! Should I have let the fondant dry longer? Did I make a mistake by covering them last night with my carrier lids? Did the fondant absorb the oil from the buttercream? Should I have waited until I was ready to serve the cupcakes to stick the fondant pieces into the buttercream?

I am thinking about re-cutting the fondant pieces, taking off the bent ones, and replacing them with new cut outs but I don't want it to happen again. I would appreciate your suggestions!!! This was my first time putting fondant pieces in buttercream and I guess I messed up! icon_sad.gif

3 replies
Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 11:09pm
post #2 of 4

If you put fondant in a closed enviroment where they can't breathe, yes they will become soft and sticky, I learnt the hard way. I had mine in a plastic cupcake carrier. Now I just put the lid on when transporting them, but as soon as they arrive, lid comes off

Dreme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dreme Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 2:05am
post #3 of 4

In general its ok to have the fondant on the cupcakes. That normally the problem. I have dummy cupcakes with fondant decorations that have lasted for years. The problem is usually due to humidity and an enclosed enviroment. I also suggest making your fondant at least one day in advance and letting it air dry overnight before using them. Cuts down on the fondat wilting.

CypressCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CypressCakes Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 2:02am
post #4 of 4

Thanks for your help and advice. After posting my initial message, I stopped and thought about what had happened. I guess I just wasn't thinking when I put them in my cupcake carrier and covered them for the night. I know that fondant covered cakes should not be covered because the fondant will get soft and your fondant accents/decor. will get soft and sticky...guess I should have know that would happen on my cupcakes, too. When I make cakes, I always leave them uncovered, or if I put them in a carrier/box, I leave it cracked. I've learned for next time. BTW, I was able to pull off the bent ones...remake the pieces again, let them dry over night, and stuck them on the cupcakes right before serving!! They looked great!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%