How Long Does Ganache Last In The Refridgerator?

Decorating By sherylshirley Updated 5 Apr 2010 , 9:27am by Relznik

sherylshirley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherylshirley Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 5:21am
post #1 of 10

I've had some for 2 months in an airtight container in the refridgerator.

9 replies
ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 7:30am
post #2 of 10

I think that is longer than normally recommended. I believe it's only supposed to last a few weeks in the fridge. You can always taste it - you will know by the taste and a little bit won't kill ya icon_wink.gif.

For future reference, ganache freezes really well, so next time pop that container in your freezer!

noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 9:08am
post #3 of 10

mine never lasts more than a week.. mostly because it magaes to draw me in with its seductive charm....

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 9:51am
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by noahsmummy

mine never lasts more than a week.. mostly because it magaes to draw me in with its seductive charm....

icon_lol.gif When I read the title of this thread I had to laugh "how long does ganache last in the refrigerator?" Are you serious?? icon_eek.gif I'm lucky if I have enough for my cake. I have three teenagers in my house that love the stuff so leftovers is never an issue with me.

However, if I were to have some in the fridge I'd toss it after a couple of weeks.

ChoueiriCakeCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChoueiriCakeCo Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 10:12am
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceshell

For future reference, ganache freezes really well, so next time pop that container in your freezer!

About how long will it last if it's frozen?

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 10:34am
post #6 of 10

The last demo we had at my branch of the BSG (British Sugar Craft Guild) was on chocolate work.

The (very experienced) demonstrator said it will be fine in the fridge for a good 4 weeks.

However, there's more chance of me flapping my arms and flying to the moon, than managing not to eat any left-over ganache!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Honestly? I'd taste some. If the cream's gone off, you'll know!!!

(ps did you know you can make ganache with butter instead of cream? This will keep in the fridge for up to 6 months!!!!)

Relznik Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 10:35am
post #7 of 10

Why will CC not allow me to type the word

S u g a r

and

C r a f t

???

suzied Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzied Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 12:17pm
post #8 of 10

My ganache has been hidden in the freezer for the past 3 weeks. My question is, how long more can i keep it. It has double cream in it along with the dark chocolate. A total of 1, 2,..... months? If some one knows, please let me know (scared about the double cream) Tks

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 11:49pm
post #9 of 10

I don't think ganache really goes "bad" in the freezer, at least not for some time; you just want to wrap it up tight to avoid freezer burn. I've used frozen ganache at least as old as 6 mos...maybe longer; I always try it first to make sure it still tastes normal. As for the s-u-g-etc. mystery...whew, that's a long story. Let's just say it's related to an unfriendly vendor who did not want to be mentioned on this site...and the only way to honor their request was to block their name. Definitely gets weird when people want to use that same common term for decorating and it gets blocked icon_rolleyes.gif

Relznik Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 9:27am
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceshell

As for the s-u-g-etc. mystery...whew, that's a long story. Let's just say it's related to an unfriendly vendor who did not want to be mentioned on this site...and the only way to honor their request was to block their name. Definitely gets weird when people want to use that same common term for decorating and it gets blocked icon_rolleyes.gif

Ahhh... I see. Thank you for explaining. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%