Making Realistic Dragonfly And Bee's Wings

Decorating By ChristineJ Updated 4 Apr 2010 , 4:49am by paulstonia

ChristineJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristineJ Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 2:52am
post #1 of 6

Hello
I really am needing help on how to make realistic wings for dragonfly and bee's. I am making the bodies out of gumpaste and I really want them to look real. Any suggestions?? Thanks to all

5 replies
Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 2:59am
post #2 of 6

Make them out of gelatin. You can do it without a pattern if you want to. Just make it into a sheet and then cut the wings out of it. See the posts on gelatin in the "How do I" section, but justdi. They are like paper thin and you can color then any color you want to.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 12:50pm
post #3 of 6

I use wafer paper.

ChristineJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristineJ Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 11:59pm
post #4 of 6

Thank you all.

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 2:55am
post #5 of 6

Here is the recipe I use when making wings or even glasses lenses. You can see an example in my photos of my dragonfly. If you cannot draw them, images can be downloaded and the dried gelatin is easy to trace and cut out. I find gelatin really fun to work with, but prefer the stiffer recipe here for wings.

1 Envelope Knox softened in 1/4 cup water. Heat to dissolve then pour, or spread smoothly onto a sheet of acetate . Set aside for a day or so, (it will start to peel away when thoroughly dry). At that point, it will be like plastic and you can cut it with scissors. It takes marking readily with food color markers, and also makes fine dragonfly wings, or even windows or windshields. I love to work with it.
If you want to color them, add a little color with the water, or highlight with an edible marker.

paulstonia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paulstonia Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 4:49am
post #6 of 6

wow milkmaid, your dragon fly is beautiful!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%