What Color Is A Martini?

Decorating By kaseyrconnect Updated 3 Apr 2010 , 3:36am by kaseyrconnect

kaseyrconnect Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaseyrconnect Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 3:08am
post #1 of 8

I was asked to make a cake with a martini in a glass. Are they clear or do they have a color to them? Also if anyone has any ideas as to what else I can do to this cake so it doesn't look so plain. I would very much appreciate any ideas you have. It will be a full size sheet cake.

7 replies
pearlydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pearlydi Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 3:18am
post #2 of 8

Martini can be any color blue, green, yellow and to decotate you can make a fondant olive in a toothpick HTH. Here is a pic http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1413478

kaseyrconnect Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 3:24am
post #3 of 8

Thanks pearlydi, that helped a lot. Now I have a direction to go in.

lorieleann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorieleann Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 7:41am
post #4 of 8

a classic 1950's/mad man-style martini with an olive or an onion would always be clear liquid. A newer 'fruity' martini (such as a cosmopolitan or a lemon drop) would be served with a wedge of lime or a lemon, sometimes other fruit garnish like a cherry or orange rind curl. Just to make sure you might want to clarify what color the glass should be. If she is meaning a 'real' martini, then it would be clear with an olive--and a pink or colored drink would be as odd has having a blue horse on a cowboy cake. However if she wants color, then you don't have to try to dress up a plain clear cocktail glass (i'd see this as a girls night out cake or something Sex-in-the-City-ish with a fun cocktail).

mindy1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindy1204 Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 1:47pm
post #5 of 8

The one I was drinking last night was green icon_smile.gif. I would ask the person who requested it. I do not drink the original martinis so if I had a cake made for me that was like an original martini I would be like what is that.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 1:57pm
post #6 of 8

I would check with the customer... if they asked for a "Martini" (versus a pear martini, or a cosmo) then color would be a no-no. A classic martini is clear, so confirm with the customer what they're look for and go from there.

elliespartycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elliespartycake Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 2:01pm
post #7 of 8

The original classic Martini is gin and dry vermouth which produces a clear drink which usually has a green olive on a cocktail pick in it. I know because I've been drinking them for YEARS. All of the green, pink, blue, etc. drinks are not true martinis IMHO, but rather they are called that because of the type of glass in which they are served. Check with your customer to see what color they expect it to be.

kaseyrconnect Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 3:36am
post #8 of 8

Thanks to all of you for your help. I talked to the gal that ordered it for her sister, and she said "just do whatever you think would be good." I decided to go with the clear martini and an olive.
Thanks again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%