Piping Buttercream Dots Over Real Ribbons

Decorating By 2winboyz Updated 2 Apr 2010 , 1:17am by Joybeth

2winboyz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2winboyz Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 12:44am
post #1 of 3

I have a bride who wants to use real ribbons around the bottom of each tier of her cake but wants dots piped around them like in the attached photo. Her cake will also be covered in fondant. In the picture, it looks like the ribbons is 'painted' onto the fondant? If I use real ribbons, will the grease from the buttercream leak onto the ribbons? Or should I make ribbons out of fondant instead? If so what's the best way to make them look as real as possible?

Thank you for any tips you can provide.
LL

2 replies
juleebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleebug Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 1:09am
post #2 of 3

The grease will absorb into the ribbon. I had a bride who wanted real ribbon and what I did was to ice the back of the entire ribbon so the absorbtion would be consistent throughout. Just remember you would need to start with a ribbon that is a few shades lighter than the color she wants to end up with.

Joybeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joybeth Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 1:17am
post #3 of 3

I did a cake with real ribbon and buttercream dots...it was a huge pain...the buttercream kept falling off after it dried. I love using fondant ribbon it is SO much easier to attach and the buttercream sticks to it better...(at least I think so) However if you use the real ribbon like juleebug says go a few shades lighter as the grease from the cake does make it darker.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%