Seriously Debating On Cake Flowers? Mine Or Theirs?

Decorating By joy5678 Updated 2 Apr 2010 , 5:58pm by jammjenks

joy5678 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joy5678 Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 10:22pm
post #1 of 14

I have always made my own cake flowers but since they can be purchased and they are so pretty and "quick" I'm thinking about using purchased ones on my cakes (especially wedding). I feel kinda "cheaty" doing it and wonder what I would say to someone who asked "did you make all those flowers yourself?" My time is limited since I also work full-time and this would be fantastic for me but..........What do you think? Do you make all your own gumpaste flowers? Would you or do you use store bought ones? Need some input on this before I make my "final decision" ! Thanks all.

13 replies
jhay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jhay Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 10:29pm
post #2 of 14

Remember that flowers can be made weeks ahead of time. However, I know what it's like to work full time job and try to make cakes for others...if you want a particular look and buying flowers would get you there and the bride will be thrilled...that's all you need to worry about. If they ask you if you made them, just say, "Ya know...I usually do, but I've been swamped at work lately and these are actually handmade by ... doesn't he/she do great work?"

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 10:32pm
post #3 of 14

You could simply say "It saves on your cost for me to purchase premade flowers. When I make them, I would have to charge alot more for them based on the hours I spend making flowers. I can purchase premade for XYZ, or I can make them myself for ABC, what would you like?"

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 10:33pm
post #4 of 14

i think one way to look at it is simply money. paying you for the time it takes is a lot of money. ordering them works out far cheaper.
id say your flowers are likely to be a higher quality (at least, compared to what i can find in the uk to buy) and so it is worth the extra cost.
so if the client is happy to pay, and you are happy to do it = custom flowers.
if the client is on a budget or you simply dont want to put in the time, then you find a 'fantastic' supplier, which you can personalise in terms of colour.
flowers are a ton of work which the average cake muggle wont appreciate at all. so if they insist on wanting your flowers, the extra cost will probably change their mind!
xx

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 10:49pm
post #5 of 14

"Oh you couldn't afford me if I had to make all of those myself!" icon_rolleyes.gif

anasazi17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anasazi17 Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 12:38am
post #6 of 14

I didn't know you could by them until recently...I like to make them myself though...I am a bit OCD icon_wink.gif

joy5678 Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 3:00am
post #7 of 14

Hmmmmm, think I'm leaning more towards the store bought ones right now. Not sure why I feel guilty buying them instead of making them....it's kinda like I'm taking credit for something I didn't do or being deceptive???? Am I making too big a deal out of this? It's just a flower and no one will know the difference.......right? icon_sad.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 4:47am
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by joy5678

Am I making too big a deal out of this? It's just a flower and no one will know the difference.......right? icon_sad.gif

Yes, you are. And no, no one will know the difference.

I have also told brides, "They're made by hand. Somebody makes 'em by hand ... it's just not me."

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 5:08am
post #9 of 14

Is a matter of how much they want to pay. If they want quality they need to pay more. If they want to pay less, then buy the one online.
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

iAmBrendaLee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iAmBrendaLee Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 7:15am
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by joy5678

Hmmmmm, think I'm leaning more towards the store bought ones right now. Not sure why I feel guilty buying them instead of making them....it's kinda like I'm taking credit for something I didn't do or being deceptive???? Am I making too big a deal out of this? It's just a flower and no one will know the difference.......right? icon_sad.gif

There are lots of bits and pieces that go into making the perfect cake. Whether you buy them or make them, the end product is your work.

joy5678 Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 12:05pm
post #11 of 14

hehehehe! That's right IndyDebi.........they were made by somebodys hand weren't they.....luv it!!! I agree with you too Edna, I just thought it would be less expensive to make them by hand..........the truth will set you free! Yea! Its gonna be store bought for me this time and it will be guilt free icon_smile.gif Thank you gals!

krisann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krisann Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 3:46pm
post #12 of 14

I happened to be in a cake supply store and saw a "famous" decorator buying their flowers premade. Not saying where or who. I have no problem with it.

Kris

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 5:26pm
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

"Oh you couldn't afford me if I had to make all of those myself!" icon_rolleyes.gif

lol..My thoughts exactly..icon_wink.gif
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 5:58pm
post #14 of 14

There are some gorgeous suger flowers online. I am 100% in favor of buying them if I want to. Sometimes I feel like making them, sometimes I don't. It is not cheating. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%