Painting Freehand Or Use A Stencil For 3D Teacup.

Decorating By Kiddiekakes Updated 10 Apr 2010 , 1:08am by Elise87

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 10:18pm
post #1 of 13

I am making a few 3D Teacups for a teapot and tea cup cake.I have made the cups with a tutorial and they are drying but how do I go about painting pretty pink roses and levaes and vines on it after it dries..I am a terrible artist.Is there a stencil I can use or something to go by to help me? I want to paint the trim gold and have the cups look really pretty.

Any suggestions or stencils you are willing to post?

Thanks

Laurel icon_wink.gif

12 replies
ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 12:45am
post #2 of 13

Try contacting Elise87. She has done great painting work on her cake projects! Take a look at her photos - you are sure to be inspired and encouraged thumbs_up.gif

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 1:04am
post #3 of 13

Well hello there, looky who i came across....HI PTANYER!!! long time no speak, nthanks for the nice words icon_smile.gif

N yes i freehand paint mostly on my stuff and unless you have a really flexable stencil to work with i reckon it might be a bit tricky.

Have you thought about maybe lightly sketching a design on the cup with greylead pencil first? (it's safe as there is actually no lead or anything and if a kid can eat a whole pencil and be ok then i reckon it's ok to draw on a tecup! lol). Then after that you can paint over it with your food colours and you shouldn't see the greylead underneath if it is light

Just take your time and don't rush it and it should be good icon_smile.gif

HTH

ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 1:15am
post #4 of 13

Hello Elise icon_biggrin.gif It's so good to talk to you again. Everytime I see a teacup I think of you! Your work is so awesome...maybe you should make a video tutorial! BTW - I finally found a teacup I really want to make. I recently received a teacup and saucer from my parent's china pattern and plan to use it to make a gumpaste one. May take me a long time, but I'll be sure to send you photos (and questions along the way, I'm sure!)

Take care!
Pam

Teenz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teenz Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 4:21am
post #5 of 13

Id love to see the tutorial you guys are using for your teacups!

PatricesPieces Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PatricesPieces Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 4:51am
post #6 of 13

There is a member on CC that does a great job with tea cups. I saw her do a demo at Orlando ICES. She is amazing and has info on the stencils she uses for her tea cups. I did some teacups (they are in my phots) after taking her demo. I did not have the silicone stencils that she has. I actually used one that I bought at a craft store. It was more challenging, but I made it work. Good luck with your teacups. They are soooo addicting!!

Oh..the CC member is tatetart. Take a look at some of her teacups. They are amazing!!!

PatricesPieces Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PatricesPieces Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 4:53am
post #7 of 13

I forgot to put the link to her teacup. Take a look.....

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=39290

Elise87 Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 5:07am
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptanyer

Hello Elise icon_biggrin.gif It's so good to talk to you again. Everytime I see a teacup I think of you! Your work is so awesome...maybe you should make a video tutorial! BTW - I finally found a teacup I really want to make. I recently received a teacup and saucer from my parent's china pattern and plan to use it to make a gumpaste one. May take me a long time, but I'll be sure to send you photos (and questions along the way, I'm sure!)

Take care!
Pam

Yay that's exciting and yes please send pics!

I still havn't gotten around to making another teacup cose i want to do a way more detailed painted one this time so will do that eventually too lol

P.S me make a tutorial.....HA! lol icon_wink.gif

Teenz: Here the tutorial i based my teacup on but changed a few things:

http://sugarteachers.blogspot.com/2009/03/how-to-make-gumpaste-teacup.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenatea

I forgot to put the link to her teacup. Take a look.....

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=39290

that's very nicely done indeed!

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 12:15pm
post #9 of 13

I LOVE the teacups and saucers....something I have wanted to try to do. Please let us know when you are done, so we can see how it turned out!

Kiddiekakes Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 1:18pm
post #10 of 13

I still have yet to paint mine since it is due next week.I am kinda scared of wrecking it..I am not a good freehand painter so I am very intimidated!!! I may just do small dot flowers...

Elise..Do you have any tips on where to start? Flower first? Leaves/vines first?How do I get that antique look of the cup whem mine is white?Would you use airbrush colors or gels?

Ahhhhhh icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

Laurel icon_wink.gif

Elise87 Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 1:32pm
post #11 of 13

I have only done one teacup and i kept it simple with a single flower painted on the front and decorated the rims with some simple patterns cose i was scared as well to do more cose i thought i was going to wreck my cup too by mucking the rest of my painting lol

But I think that planning what you are going to paint with light greylead sketches will be a great help and if you draw a wrong line you just rub it off with your finger and start again! that way you will know exactly what u have to do and where it will be so you will be more confident thumbs_up.gif

Now i am use to painting more i am going to have another go at a more complicated cup and you will probably be more confident after your first one too.

My last cup was white and didn't plan an antique look so not sure about how to go about that.....have u already made them white? if not could you use an ivory colored gumpaste?

Kiddiekakes Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 3:19pm
post #12 of 13

What about printing off an edible image and then cutting around it and placing that on? I found a few rose pictures on a wallpaper site.

Elise87 Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 1:08am
post #13 of 13

never worked with an edible image and don't know how to stick it on etc but if it's flexable enough and can stick on well i don't see why not

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%