Ok Guys,

Decorating By Zeebadeeba Updated 4 Apr 2010 , 4:32am by ceshell

Zeebadeeba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zeebadeeba Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 9:47pm
post #1 of 5

I have been asked to make a Strawberry Shortcake with whipped cream frosting & fresh berries for 15-20 people by next saturday... Help me please?? I just need a really awesome shortcake recipe.

4 replies
ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 12:28am
post #2 of 5

Do you mean you want real shortcake, which is kind of like a biscuit? Or a cake that tastes like shortcake?

If I were making this out of cake I'd use the Rebecca Rather/Pastry Queen "White on White Buttermilk" cake which is my favorite vanilla cake. I'd add a bit of orange zest to it to give it the hint of orange I often find in real shortcakes, then proceed with the rest of your filling/frosting.

If you are looking for an actual shortcake (biscuit) recipe, I have one of those too. Last time I served it my friend begged me for the recipe. I suppose you could bake it up big--the size of a cake--and take it from there. Biscuits are drier though and I think people might get confused and think the cake is dry LOL. I'd stick with the vanilla cake. I like the above recipe because it is very buttery and flavorful, just like a good shortcake biscuit.

Zeebadeeba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zeebadeeba Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 2:44pm
post #3 of 5

Thank you so much!! icon_biggrin.gif I think I'll go with the cake recipe just to be safe LOL I'll do a practice one to make sure the lady likes it.
Oh, One more, how much should I charge for it, i was thinking $35 maybe?? I really have no idea...

KatieKake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatieKake Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 3:02pm
post #4 of 5

Check out what strawberry shortcake would cost at one of your good local restaurants, and I am pretty sure you will find that they are charging at least $3.50 per serving, and probably more, I would not be surprised at $5.00 per serving.

That being the case, you will have to decide what you want to charge per serving, figure the cost of the berries, the cake, labor, etc. I am sure that you will find that for that many people that $35.00 is not nearly enough. I would charge at the very least $3.50 per serving.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 4:32am
post #5 of 5

And of course you also have to decide what kind of cake recipe to make! I love the one I recommended, but of course at the supermarket they always sell those little "shortcake" shells to put your berries in, and those are actually sponge cakes. So you might decide to opt for a sponge cake recipe if you think that follows the theme. Personally I hate those spongy things LOL but I figured I'd toss that idea out there anyway icon_smile.gif. Another great, flavorful yellow cake recipe that I could totally see tasting good with berries is the Sylvia Weinstock Classic Yellow Cake. It was one of the winners (or was it the #1 winner?) of a yellow/white cake "scratch-off" taste test we held last Summer.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%