Lime Green

Decorating By sister340 Updated 11 Apr 2010 , 4:33pm by sister340

sister340 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sister340 Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 3:03pm
post #1 of 13

I have an order for a lime green fondant covered cake. I have not been able to find a color called "lime green", I've read use 1 leaf green to 3 yellow. This worries me as I'm not sure how to color enough fondant to cover 3 layers and have it all exactly the same.
Can someone give me an idea of the best way to accomplish this?
j.

12 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 3:21pm
post #2 of 13

you can mix leaf green with lemon yellow.

I use americolor electric green for lime green though, it's perfect.

Here are some cakes where I've used it so you can see the color of it!!
LL
LL
LL
LL

greengyrl26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greengyrl26 Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 3:25pm
post #3 of 13

Americolor Electric Green is amazing!! It's exactly what you need! It's what I used for the lime green bow on my zebra cake.

Edited to say: I couldn't get the image to post here, but this is a link to the cake: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1569284

granola02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
granola02 Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 4:29pm
post #4 of 13

Do I have to buy the Americolor Electric Green online? Or do you know of local stores that sell it?

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 4:47pm
post #5 of 13

If you have a cake store in your area you may be able to find it. You won't be able to find Americolor in a craft store though.

I think Wilton's leaf green is pretty bright and a little bit of yellow would probably make it lime green.

When I've needed alot of color I color a bunch of smaller batches (easier on my hands) then I kneed all of those together. That way if one batch was lighter than the others they all end up the same in the end.

sister340 Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 4:52pm
post #6 of 13

Thank you all. I have a lot of good ideas now. this cake also requires a tooled leather-look overlay. Been experimenting with that. Lots of imagination in today's brides!
j.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 4:56pm
post #7 of 13

I use Wilton leaf green/lemon yellow. Works great. I do the same as Texas_Sugar when I have to color alot of fondant. I color smaller amounts then mix them together. So much easier on your hands that way.

sister340 Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 2:59pm
post #8 of 13

today is the day. Would you mix the yellow and green together before adding to fondant?

langranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
langranny Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 3:05pm
post #9 of 13

To get a tooled leather look, I imprint my fondant with one of the Wilton fondant mats (I use the vines one) and then airbrush it with some vanilla vodka mixed with my airbrush color. Gives it a nice shiny leather look finish. I've heard that steaming fondant has the same effect, but haven't tried it (don't have a steamer)

cakemamaP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemamaP Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 3:08pm
post #10 of 13

I would start with the yellow and keep adding green until it's right but I'm still new to this so I'm sure there might be a better way.....good luck

iheartcupkakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iheartcupkakes Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 3:17pm
post #11 of 13

i agree start with yellow and add green in small amounts.. works perfect good luck cant wait to see how it turns out

sister340 Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 4:07am
post #12 of 13

the lime green fondant turned out just right! Thanks for all your support! I now know how to color enough fondant for a big cake and have it all the same color icon_smile.gif
I still need work on getting the fondant wrapped around the corner of a square cake and next weekend is a hexagon...............I guess thats how you learn. I don't charge much for my cakes yet as I let them know I'm a work in progress.
I'll post the finished cake when it's done.
j.

sister340 Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 4:33pm
post #13 of 13

The cake turned out fine. The two horseshoe cakes are fondant covered stryofoam. The lime green was just right, the leather look turned out fine. They turned down the lights and you'd never know the leather look was on the white fondant, but oh well. It was like she ordered, and another box checked off.
Thank you so much for your helpful input!
Don't know how to post it here, so put it in my photos.

I love CC!
j.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%