Plaid

Decorating By Stephanie7 Updated 6 Apr 2010 , 6:15am by Ballymena

Stephanie7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stephanie7 Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 10:41am
post #1 of 8

What is the best way to create plaid on a cake? I would like to make a graduation cake using the same plaid as the school uniforms.

7 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 12:00pm
post #2 of 8

Glad that you ask this question. I've been wanting to do plaid on a cake.
Anyone?

sewsweet2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewsweet2 Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 3:10am
post #3 of 8

If you have an airbrush, you can make stencils and spray the different stripes. Check out my tutorial on an even plaid at:
http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/570194886qYatNu
Click on the photos and read the explaination below the photo for more information.

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 3:46am
post #4 of 8

I made a skateboard cake for a co-worker's son a few months back (see my photos) and wanted to get the plaid exact, so I had my co-worker take a photo of it and I made an edible image of it at Sobey's. I investigated all the options and that one was the simplest, cheapest and most precise.
There was a chocolate transfer option too, but that was expensive to order...There is also the painting fondant option (Aine2) has a tutorial, I believe.... good luck!

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 4:37am
post #5 of 8

Thanks for that information.

Justbeck101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Justbeck101 Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 12:39am
post #6 of 8

I did plaid with an edible image that I had walmart print out for me. I just took them a pic of a print I wanted. It is on the ribbon around the cake in my avatar.

smitakasargod Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smitakasargod Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 5:19am
post #7 of 8

If you want to do plaid on fondant, it is quite simple. I used edible markers and a ruler on the tablecloth on the animal party cake and used a brush with dilted food colors in the plaid bird cookies. Buttercream may be a little trickier.

Ballymena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ballymena Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 6:15am
post #8 of 8

If you don't have an air brush use the cans of spray food coloring and a stencil cut from plastic, I use transparency sheets available at most stationary stores such as Staples.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%