Size Of Us Ovens!!!!

Decorating By jayne1873 Updated 7 Jun 2010 , 2:48pm by miss_sweetstory

jayne1873 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jayne1873 Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 10:39am
post #1 of 15

We arrived in Orlando on our hols last night and were all up really early 5am this morning as we couldnt sleep but it is 10am in the UK but the first thing I noticed in our villa was the size of the oven it is HUGE!!!!! you guys are so lucky it is twice the size of ovens we have in the UK how jealous am I!

14 replies
AnotherCreation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnotherCreation Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 10:56am
post #2 of 15

i would have never thought that How big are your ovens? or small Should I say?

jayne1873 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jayne1873 Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 11:01am
post #3 of 15

Ours are half the width of your ovens so you can imagine how many cakes we can get in at one time!
If you imagine the 4 cooking rings on top there is quite a large gap between them in the uk they are much much closer and basically if you have 2 pans on the ones next to each other they are almost touching then equate that to the size of the oven underneath. Hope that makes sense

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 11:02am
post #4 of 15

That is probably why so many of us (Americans) are overweight, we can really bake up a storm in our ovens. LOL. Have a great holiday.

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 11:36am
post #5 of 15

i hate my oven . Its teeny . . . TEENY tiny! the biggest tin i cant fit in mine is a 12!

Kayakado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kayakado Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 8:40pm
post #6 of 15

I have a huge 27" wide oven and a 10" wide side oven next to the big oven. Not to mention our huge refreigerators. All the homes in Britain I visited only had a small under the counter refrigerators.

My theory was the proximity of the average British citizen to the shops. Some US citizens live 30 minutes or more from a grocer.

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 3:23pm
post #7 of 15

It's more about the size of kitchens than proximity to grocery stores. The average British kitchen is very small, and it is usual to have laundry equipment in there also, so there simply isn't room for gigantic appliances! Combination washer/dryers and under counter fridges and freezers are popular for the same reason.

jennywenny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennywenny Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 4:53pm
post #8 of 15

Imagine my surprise when I went back home to the UK and tried to bake a wedding cake in my mum's oven! It took a while! My oven is around 27" in the US and mums is tiny!!

Roxybc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Roxybc Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 12:40pm
post #9 of 15

I moved to the UK from Canada where our applicances are the same size as American ones, and I was shocked at how small our oven and fridge are! The fridge doesn't bother me so much, because it's hidden in a tall cupboard, and is larger than most UK fridges, but the oven is SHOCKING! I hate it!

A standard UK oven size is 60cm or 23.4 inches. I went to the US and bought a Wilton 24 mini cupcake pan, brought it home to the UK and it's too big to fit in my oven!!! It's so frusterating living here! The things I used to take for granted when I lived in North America. I don't understand how people here in the UK bake large things.

When we move to a new house, I'm planning on purchasing an industrial size oven. It was so hard to cook Christmas dinner here, I really had to time everything carefully, and thank goodness I had a crockpot to cook my stuffing in! I can only cook 24 cupcakes at a time in my oven (1 pan on each rack), and tonight I have to start baking part of my 150 cupcake order I have to deliver for Thursday.

I've also just sent a request to my hubby's mom who's visiting Virgina right now to pick me up some boxed cake mix. Here they only have 4 kinds of Betty Crocker cake mix, which is very expensive and they don't even have a plain Vanilla flavour!!!!

When we went to Texas a few months ago I brought back 23 boxes of cake and brownie mix and 12 boxes of Jello Pudding, and 7 boxes of Kraft Macaroni and Cheese, because they don't have any of that here. I don't know why they don't either! So frusterating. Ok, sorry, had to vent about that!!!

Roxybc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Roxybc Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 1:19am
post #10 of 15

Just wanted to bump this post because I did a blog post today about the size of our ovens in the UK vs the size of US ovens. Actually, my blog (website is in my signature below) will have a lot of US & UK comparisons. Anyways, since I finally took pictures of the size difference I thought I'd post them in this thread.

Here's one of the pictures.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 1:51am
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayakado

My theory was the proximity of the average British citizen to the shops. Some US citizens live 30 minutes or more from a grocer.

We had friends from England spend a couple of weeks with us and one of their revelations was about the perception of the American's fascination with cars. While they were here, however, they discovered that American's pretty much HAVE to have cars because we have to drive EVERYWHERE!! They have pretty much anything they need in walking distance ... post office, grocery, shopping, doctor's, etc. The fact that we had to drive every time we wanted something they found astonishing.

That and the size of our desserts in restaurants! icon_biggrin.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 2:06am
post #12 of 15

How do you feed a family on an under counter refrig???? Or does nobody in the UK have very many kids???

Wow.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 2:08am
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

How do you feed a family on an under counter refrig???? Or does nobody in the UK have very many kids???

Wow.

Shoot, our apartment 'frig, while it's a regular (U.S.) size 'frig, is still MUCH smaller than the one I had at the house. And there's only 3 of us here! icon_surprised.gificon_lol.gif

Zeebadeeba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zeebadeeba Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 2:23am
post #14 of 15

Don't feel bad, My "oven" is my convection oven/microwave... The original builder of my 75yr old House, didn't put much thought into the design and construction of the kitchen, and, as a result, it's falling apart. Thus, Tiny appliances...

miss_sweetstory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss_sweetstory Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 2:48pm
post #15 of 15

Oh... have I been through this. For quite awhile after moving to the UK I fed my family of five with an under the counter fridge, with a TINY built in freezer. My oven maxed out at a 12" pan. The worst part was that the closet grocery was 20 minutes away by car. (I could get milk and eggs and fresh meat at the farm shop, but no other staples.) We live in a village in the English countryside, and don't have any village shop. In many places here, the "big box" groceries have meant the demise of village shops and post offices. I have adjusted, and over time invested in a US style fridge (stuck in the corner of the breakfast area), and a chest freezer for the garage.

Know what I can't adjust to? The TINY parking spaces! They are all Ford Fiesta sized!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%