Tapered Edges Noodles Seen On Lots Of Cakes..help

Decorating By dcabrera Updated 2 Apr 2010 , 9:09pm by dcabrera

dcabrera Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dcabrera Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 8:23am
post #1 of 9

How do I get the long skinny gumpaste swirly noodles with tapered edges to stick on top/sides of my cake? You know, like the ones seen on the Cake Nouveau website? Do they get inserted into the cake? Or do you attach them with something? Help...I'm busting my brain

8 replies
Nacnacweazel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nacnacweazel Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 9:13am
post #2 of 9

Funny you should ask. I, just recently, asked this same question of my local cake supply shop. They know I am VERY new and are always extremely nice and helpful to me. The pro there smiled at me and said, "What, do you think they just float there? Stab them into the cake! It's as simple as that. Not every decorating technique is a secret process." So, that's pretty much it. Stab'em! icon_biggrin.gif

neelycharmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neelycharmed Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 9:51am
post #3 of 9

stab them with what?
the easier the instructions, the harder time I have trying to understand... lol
icon_smile.gifJodi

Nacnacweazel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nacnacweazel Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 11:28am
post #4 of 9

LOL!!! You stab them into the cake. Sorry, I guess I was a little vague. icon_wink.gif

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 11:30am
post #5 of 9

I wasn't quite sure what you were talking about so I checked out their website and I am assuming you're talking about the pieces going into the cake (example "Ocean Waves" on page 1).

Just make them out of gumpaste in advance so they have enough time to dry. But make the straight part longer and that is the part you stick in the cake.

Hope that helps.

Oh, and if that isn't what you're talking about can you point us in the direction of a cake that has these on it?

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 12:19am
post #6 of 9

One thing to note about sticking gum paste directly into cakes--especially if the cake has buttercream in/on it, any filling, and/or is quite moist--the longer the gum paste is stuck in the cake before serving, the greater the odds are that it will soften in the cake and then break off.

I strongly suggest either doing them on wires that are then inserted into straws or coffee stirrers or dipping them in chocolate up to the point where they will go into the cake. This can stop them from absorbing moisture and "dying".

HTH
Rae

ladij153 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladij153 Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 1:27am
post #7 of 9

If you are talking about the swirls and curls sticking out of the cakes....the delicate swirls that are sticking out were probably attached with melted chocolate....the fondant curls were most likely just stuck into the cake....you could stick a toothpick into the end and stick them in that way too....

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 12:18pm
post #8 of 9

Yes!! to what BlakesCakes mentioned - it took my first attempt at "stabbing" gumpaste into cake less than 6 hours to fail. The spirals were delicate and slender, but......

dcabrera Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dcabrera Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 9:09pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by leily

I wasn't quite sure what you were talking about so I checked out their website and I am assuming you're talking about the pieces going into the cake (example "Ocean Waves" on page 1).

Just make them out of gumpaste in advance so they have enough time to dry. But make the straight part longer and that is the part you stick in the cake.

Hope that helps.

Oh, and if that isn't what you're talking about can you point us in the direction of a cake that has these on it?

[/quote]

Funny! I was actually talking about that same cake. Yes, I didn't give a clear description. Thank you for taking the time to look it up and give me a helping hand.
I have tried sticking gumpaste onto wires but it just falls off. I know I have to let it sit for a few days, but it still dislodges it's self one way or another. I usually crimp the wire then insert it. I think I need lots more practice.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%