I Need Advice

Business By Michelle032176 Updated 1 Apr 2010 , 3:08am by JanH

Michelle032176 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle032176 Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 1:26am
post #1 of 4

Right now I'm making cakes for families and friends but I want to know how I need to do the right thing. Do I only need a tax ID number and a business name? If I register the business name does this mean I will get visited by the health department. Or, should I just make business card and keep track of what I buy and sell and report it at the end of the year. As you can tell I am lost. I don't want to beat the system I just want to do it right. I want to sell to family, friends, Sami shows and other businesses. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

3 replies
JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 1:30am
post #2 of 4

Where are you located? There are different rules for different places.

This sticky is a good place to start to find out what you need to do in your state in order to be "legal."


JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 2:37am
post #3 of 4

Yes it is different for each state , but most states require you to be inspected by the health department and some states will not allow the sale of home prepared food items at all... You will have to find out what the laws are for your state.


JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 3:08am
post #4 of 4

What do I need to open a bakery?
(Or even a home based business.)



Quote by @%username% on %date%