Crusting Buttercream Cracking...help

Decorating By kgeane0 Updated 2 Jun 2010 , 2:05am by kgeane0

kgeane0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kgeane0 Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 8:17pm
post #1 of 7

I have decorated 2 cakes with pink colored crusting buttercream lately. Both seem to have "cracked" on me before I even left the house with them.
1st cake applied buttercream the morning of...
2nd cake applied buttercream the evening before...
My recipe is 1/2 cup shortening, 4 cups powdered sugar, 4 tbls of water, and extract.
How can I prevent the cracking?

6 replies
ebredhawk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ebredhawk Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 8:29pm
post #2 of 7

have you moved the cakes since you iced them? a lot of times i get cracks if i move cakes when the support underneath isn't strong enough and it causes them to bend a little. a spatula dunked in hot water and wiped off can help do the trick to smooth out cracks.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 8:57pm
post #3 of 7

your sugar to fat ratio seems too high.

rule of thumb is one cup shortening to one pound ( 4 cups) of sugar for a nice crusting yet workable BC. also, try a liquid with fat rather than water, water seems to increase cracking, IMO

agree with above that you also need a form board under your cake or any icing will crack when moved.

HTH!

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 11:25pm
post #4 of 7

i had a friend that made the most beautiful cakes, and her frosting was wonderful, we lost touch i think she moved, but when i picked up a cake she alway's said support it in the middle, sometimes i'll get a cake that starts cracking it's so moist, i watched Edna's frost a cake and she uses alot of frosting, so i do that it hides my mistakes if i don't trim really even, and have used the hot spatula also.

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 12:07am
post #5 of 7

I agree with Sugarshack... too much PS to fat ratio.... it's too dry...

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 1:01am
post #6 of 7

The type of support is key. how many cardboards or what kind of plate was the cake on?

kgeane0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kgeane0 Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 2:05am
post #7 of 7

Thanks everyone for the help. I will try the recommendations that were mentioned!! The support also sounds like it could be an issue and will change that also.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%