Sugarshack Frosting Recipe Questions

Baking By meredith1851 Updated 2 Apr 2010 , 2:57am by meredith1851

meredith1851 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meredith1851 Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 7:58pm
post #1 of 9

Hi, I just came across Sugarshacks frosting recipe...the one that uses coffee creamer. Instead of using all shortening, could you also use a combo of butter and shortening? Anyone try this and have any feedback on how it turned out?

8 replies
llbesq Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llbesq Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 8:10pm
post #2 of 9

I use 1/2 sweetex and 1/2 butter with this recipe instead of all sweetex. This has worked great for me!

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 8:18pm
post #3 of 9

I don't see any reason it wouldn't come out great if you substitute equal amounts of butter for the amount of shortening that you took out. I've been intending to try this also, but i always forget. I'm sure it's delicious, because her recipe is already great.

Elaine2581 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elaine2581 Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 9:12pm
post #4 of 9

I love this recipe and I just use store brand shortening and real butter; sometimes I use only 1/4 butter if the weather is warm and humid but in the winter I usually use 1/2 butter and 1/2 shortening. Haven't made it with HiRatio shortening yet but hope to do so in the future. It is delicious and I just use store brand PS and don't find it to be "grainy" as some say because I do beat it the required amount of time.

meredith1851 Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 2:21am
post #5 of 9

Ok, so I tried it with 2 cups shortening and 1/2 cup butter. I used French Vanilla as they flavoring. It was good, but had the air bubbles...maybe the butter caused it to have more of that 'whipped' looked??

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 2:56am
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine2581

I love this recipe and I just use store brand shortening and real butter; sometimes I use only 1/4 butter if the weather is warm and humid but in the winter I usually use 1/2 butter and 1/2 shortening. Haven't made it with HiRatio shortening yet but hope to do so in the future. It is delicious and I just use store brand PS and don't find it to be "grainy" as some say because I do beat it the required amount of time.

i always use storebrand powdered sugar and Crisco shortening and i'm satisfied with the results. i tried hi-ratio and i liked it, too.

Bettycrockermommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettycrockermommy Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 6:42pm
post #7 of 9

I use store brand shortening, margarine, and powdered sugar. I also only use milk and lemon extract, but I follow Sharon's techniques, and it makes the smoothest, most wonderful icing I have used.

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 6:56pm
post #8 of 9

I normally use store brand shortening (hi-ratio - Harris Teeter brand). But I have made it 1/2 shortening and 1/2 butter with half and half - super rich BC - put it on cinnamon WASC cupcakes - took to work - disappeared by 11 in the morning! (I took in at least 2 cuppies per person working)

meredith1851 Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 2:57am
post #9 of 9

One more question. Does this recipe have to be used with the powdered non-dairy creamer or can you use the liquid kind? (The liquid comes in so many more flavors.) If so, would cakes frosted with this need to be refridgerated?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%