The Bismarck Tip Failed Me!

Baking By ToniMarieLovesCuppies Updated 31 Mar 2010 , 7:56pm by Sara789

ToniMarieLovesCuppies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ToniMarieLovesCuppies Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 2:51pm
post #1 of 9

So I was making a test run of the cupcakes that I am making for Easter yesterday, and I made a strawberry whipped cream filling to put inside the cupcakes. Problem was, when I filled them using the Bismarck tip, even shoving the tip in as far as I could, they barely got any filling at all.

I'm wondering if it might be the cake recipe I used? I used a buttermilk cake recipe, which is really dense, but I also don't want to make cupcakes that will fall apart (I'm decorating them with fondant basket handles and gumpaste flowers to look like flower baskets)!!!!!!!

I just don't want to waste the filling I have! Any advice?

<3ToniMarie princess.gif

8 replies
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 3:26pm
post #2 of 9

When I use this tip, I stick it in and then "swirl" it around to move some of the cake out of the way and make more room for the filling. Then fill as normal.

I have seen others mention using a melon scoop or something similiar in size and scooping out the middle to get more filling in there.

HTH

ToniMarieLovesCuppies Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 5:16pm
post #3 of 9

Thanks Leily! I'll definitely give that a try. icon_smile.gif

<3Toni Marie

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 5:19pm
post #4 of 9

Definitely. I squirt to the left, then squirt to the right, then squirt on the way up.

sounds like a song. Cupcake Hokey Pokey.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 5:27pm
post #5 of 9

i love your post leah. will start doing this . thanks

ToniMarieLovesCuppies Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 5:30pm
post #6 of 9

So it doesn't matter what kind of cake recipe I use? I just figured it was because the cupcakes were a bit dense...

<3Toni Marie

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 5:50pm
post #7 of 9

During Martha Stewart's Cupcake Week a while back, she had someone who used an apple corer to pull out a little core from the middle of the cupcake before filling.

Not wanting to have ANOTHER tool in my drawer, I used a great big piping tip (I think it's called the french star?) with the little sawteeth? I slowly twist it into the center, not to the bottom, then angle to pull up a perfect little center. Then I just pipe the filling into the empty hole.

In Elinor Klivans cupcake book, she just uses a paring knife to carve out a little cone shape.

adamsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adamsmom Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 6:01pm
post #8 of 9

I have been trying different pairings of flavors with the bismarck tip and I found that it doesn't really matter what density the cake is. I use the same method that leah uses, but it sounds like the other method of taking a small section of cake out of the middle works good also. Good luck! Let me know what method ends up working best for you. icon_biggrin.gif

Sara789 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sara789 Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 7:56pm
post #9 of 9

How thick was your filling? I was having a problem getting filling in my cupcakes with the Bismark. I thinned out my filling and--problem solved. Could be a cake problem, could be a filling problem, could be a combo of both. I've been there.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%