Chocolate "brownie" Cake

Baking By lecrn Updated 8 Apr 2010 , 4:48am by honeyscakes

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 1:00am
post #1 of 27

I need a delicious chocolate, brownie like cake.
Does anyone have a recipe they could share? It has to be a study cake that can withstand stacking.
thanks!

26 replies
stampinron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stampinron Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 2:30am
post #2 of 27

I've been using Toba Garrett's chocolate fudge cake on epicurious. Last time I made it....got this "MMMmmm, just like a brownie" response.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 2:45am
post #3 of 27

I use the DH Dark Chocolate Fudge cake mix, 4 eggs, 1 c. sour cream, 1/4 cup oil and 1/2 cup chocolate syrup instead of water. Yummy.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 6:22am
post #4 of 27

I love the Scott Clark Woolley "Fudge Brownie Cake". It is dense and super chocolatey, especially if you use a high quality dutch chocolate which I ALWAYS do. It is quite sturdy and carves well too if frozen first. I have carved it 3x for turvey-style tiers.

Here's a link to the recipe http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-52587-30.html --it's the first post on p.3 of a Hershey's cake thread.

honeyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
honeyscakes Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 5:08pm
post #5 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceshell

I love the Scott Clark Woolley "Fudge Brownie Cake". It is dense and super chocolatey, especially if you use a high quality dutch chocolate which I ALWAYS do. It is quite sturdy and carves well too if frozen first. I have carved it 3x for turvey-style tiers.

Here's a link to the recipe http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-52587-30.html --it's the first post on p.3 of a Hershey's cake thread.

YES I remember you just recommended this recipe on my recipe request post this week icon_biggrin.gif
I got all the ingredients and I will be making it tonight or tomorrow.I will be sure to post here and in my post how it turned out.
I read in the Hershey's cake post,someone wrote about how it is delicate and anything bigger than 8" breaks! I am a little nervous icon_redface.gif since the wedding cake will be 6".9" and 12" stacked cake.ceshell, do you think this will be a good cake recipe for a 3 tier wedding cake?
I think for my test run I will make a 12" round today to see how it "handles" icon_biggrin.gif
THANK YOU SO MUCH for the recipe and advice...now the baking temperature scares me...since you said 275'- 300' and you said your first one was underbaked....
do you have any advice,idea on how long I should bake my 12' round? and at what temp? 300 or 275?
THANK YOU!!!!
EDIT *** SORRY! my bad ,I went and looked again, ceshell, you didn't recommend the Wooley Fudge cake recipe in my post,but " tavyheather" did icon_smile.gif but you can still help me out by answering my questions icon_smile.gif Pweeeeeeeezee!! THANKOOOOOO icon_lol.gif

lecrn Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 11:05pm
post #6 of 27
Quote:

Thanks so much for all the suggestions! I can't wait to start trying some of these recipes.
Ceshell, do you fill your pans with batter to the top before baking? I read that you said this recipe doesn't rise well.

ceshell Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 12:17am
post #7 of 27

I am pretty sure I bake all of mine at 300 but I couldn't say for sure how long a 12" layer takes. I could practically guarantee that it will be more than an hour, just because a 9" round takes somewhere in the ballpark of an hour. The first one that underbaked was just my very first try, four years ago, before I got the hang of it...I didn't know how to ensure a cake was baked, I just went by the time icon_redface.gif.

Personally I wouldn't hesitate to bake this for a 6/9/12" cake. If you want to peek in my photos, you will see a 2-tier green cake in the top row; the bottom tier is that recipe (mostly; I used Guinness beer instead of water or coffee) and is a 10" round tapered to 8". It is quite dense (but not so dense to not be like cake!) and holds up well IMO. I do always freeze it as the recipe requests.

You have probably baked your test cake by now so I am curious to see how it went!

m1m Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m1m Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 12:51am
post #8 of 27

Those sound so good!

I'm so hungry right now!!

ceshell Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 12:52am
post #9 of 27

I do try to fill the pans somewhat full but if you fill them up TOO much, that is when I find the cakes tend to dome. There are fussy things about the recipe (like that) but honestly the taste is SO good I have never wished to bake another kind...and I have tried a LOT of chocolate recipes, including a lot of the all-time favorites around here such as Hershey's cake, Epicurious "double chocolate layer", "darn good" chocolate cake...etc. Can't find one that tastes better than this SCW cake, for me anyway.

lecrn Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 8:29pm
post #10 of 27

Haven't made it yet, ceshell. I'll probably try in over the weekend. I let you know what I think. I guess the toothpick trick doesn't work with this type of cake? Does it separate from the sides of the pan when it starts to get done?
The cake tiers will probably be 14, 11, 8, & 5 rounds. I've never made a 4 tier before.

ceshell Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 10:56pm
post #11 of 27

Nah, actually the toothpick test works just fine. I was just lame icon_redface.gif (I think I didn't poke it in the absolute center). It does pull away from the sides, just a bit, but not a lot. I have shrinkage problems with some of my white cakes but never with this one.

lecrn Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 12:58am
post #12 of 27
Quote:

Nah, actually the toothpick test works just fine. I was just lame icon_redface.gif (I think I didn't poke it in the absolute center). It does pull away from the sides, just a bit, but not a lot. I have shrinkage problems with some of my white cakes but never with this one.

Thanks so much!
When you use beer in the recipe, can you detect the taste in the cake? I've seen this in other choc. cake recipes, but I've always been afraid to try it. I can't stand the taste of beer.

ceshell Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 3:45am
post #13 of 27

Oh yeah, you can, but in my case that was the point. I was making an Irish-themed cake and didn't care for the texture of the Guinness Stout cake, which was otherwise quite similar to this cake (way too coarse of a crumb for my liking though.) So I opened up some Stout a few days early to let it go flat, and then used it as the liquid in this recipe. Honestly though, the taste was still subtle, but at least I could say the cake was made with Guinness icon_smile.gif (with Bailey's filling of course.). But if you don't like beer, it would be silly to use it. Just use water or coffee; you can't taste the coffee if you make it weak.

lecrn Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 9:32am
post #14 of 27

Thanks! I'll probably stick with coffee.

honeyscakes Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 4:22pm
post #15 of 27
Quote:

I am pretty sure I bake all of mine at 300 but I couldn't say for sure how long a 12" layer takes
You have probably baked your test cake by now so I am curious to see how it went!

ceshell,OK I am back ,sorry about the delay in posting my reply here.
I tried baking the cake on Thursday at night.I baked a 10"round ( with half recipe)
I baked it at 300'F and it took close to 45-48 mins.
The cake didn't rise as much but it did dome a little bit.I covered it with seran wrap about 5 mins after it came out of the oven.
I checked the cake after 30 mins and to my surprise the dome was gone!!! and all I had was a perfectly leveled cake surface!!!! I took the seran wrap off and had a piece icon_biggrin.gif YUMMMMYYYYYYYY deeply chocolate cake.its almost like eating a VERY good quality brownie.My 8 yr old son LOVES McCallister's Deli's chocolate cake and he said that this cake is exactly like that one icon_smile.gif I agree!!!
then I wrapped the cake real good and left it in the freezer.
The next morning I took it out and let it defrost for a few mins.
Then I cut bite size cubes of the cake to store in the fridge and to give to my friend icon_smile.gif the cutting was so easy because it was still a little bit frozen and I was able to cut straight lines without messy crumbs.
Anyone who ate this cake LOVED it!!!! I like the fudgy texture...melts in your mouth.
I give this recipe 5 stars!!!
Friday,I made Dede Wilson's chocolate cake from her book, Wedding cakes you can make". LOVE IT!!!
I am so glad you shared your recipe with us.THANK YOU!!!!
This cake is a perfect treat for any chocolate lover.All you need with it is a few strawberries, a comfy chair and a patio to sit on ! ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh summer breeze icon_biggrin.gif
THANKS AGAIN!!! I appreciate your time and help.
- honeyscakes.

ceshell Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 4:41am
post #16 of 27

Yay yay yay yayyyyyyyyyy!! I am so glad you had a good result with the recipe, and that your dome flattened out too icon_biggrin.gif. I was so excited to have found such an incredible chocolate cake, I always am eager to share it with others so that they can wallow in the same chocolatey goodness LOL.

You are most welcome and hopefully lecrn will have the same fantastic results!

honeyscakes Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 7:52am
post #17 of 27
Quote:

Yay yay yay yayyyyyyyyyy!! I am so glad you had a good result with the recipe, and that your dome flattened out too icon_biggrin.gif. I was so excited to have found such an incredible chocolate cake, I always am eager to share it with others so that they can wallow in the same chocolatey goodness LOL.

You are most welcome and hopefully lecrn will have the same fantastic results!

I KNOW!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!
How can I return your favor icon_biggrin.gif
I've tried 3 different cake recipes in last 4 days and this one is a winner!!! OK Get this...my hubby who is absolutely not a fan of chocolate cake,he LOVED this cake!!! BIG TIME.
I came up with a name for this cake icon_smile.gif EXTREME CHOCOLATE CONCUSSION CAKE!!! haha
I am making this recipe for the wedding cake for my chocoholic friend icon_smile.gif filling and icing it with Sharon Zambito's chocolate ganache.YUM!!!
If anyone is interested ...I tried this recipe as well.This is a VERY yummy and moist chocolate cake.But it is not fudgy like the recipe ceshell gave us icon_smile.gif
here it is.
http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/alain-roby-devils-food-cake
- h

lecrn Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 3:19pm
post #18 of 27

honeyscake,
What kind of cocoa did you use for ceshell's recipe?

honeyscakes Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 4:50pm
post #19 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by lecrn

honeyscake,

This is what I had on hand.so I used this icon_smile.gif
http://www.hersheys.com/products/details/cocoa/
try this recipe! O M G!!! You will be hooked icon_wink.gif

lecrn Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 5:30pm
post #20 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeyscakes

Quote:

honeyscake,

This is what I had on hand.so I used this icon_smile.gif
http://www.hersheys.com/products/details/cocoa/
try this recipe! O M G!!! You will be hooked icon_wink.gif

Thanks. I have Hershey's right now & will try it.

ceshell Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 6:02am
post #21 of 27

I couldn't tell which Hershey's you used from that link - it just said it was for both the regular and the Dutch processed (i.e. Hershey's Special Dark). I always use Dutch process cocoa for the cake (although I use a different brand). If you use normal everyday Hershey's do let us know the results as I've never seen anyone post results on this cake using regular cocoa. thumbs_up.gif

lecrn Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 12:31pm
post #22 of 27

Okay. I've tried the recipe & tasted:
I used 1 cup natural Hershey's cocoa, 1/2 cup Hershey's dark, & Land'o Lakes butter (that's what I had on hand). I baked the cake in a 9 x 13 pan & used a flower nail. I followed the recipe exactly.
It took the cake 1 hour to bake @ 300. It was frustrating b/c the sides of the cake was done sooner than the middle. I knew that I was over baking the sides so the middle would be done. It did dome & crack as suggested in the recipe. The cake sit all night wrapped in plastic wrap & I tried it this morning.
I tried an end piece first & it was over done. The middle was much, much better! The crumb was nice & it was very moist. I think that it had more of a choc. bitter taste than I'm used to & less sweet. I usually use a doctored choc. mix recipe. My DH tried the cake & he had the same opinion. I probably won't use the recipe for a layered cake b/c I would have to waste so much of the cake when I levelicon_sad.gif
Have you tried to bake the cake @ a higher temp? Used bake even strips? Wonder if adding some baking powder would help it rise?
Maybe it would be less bitter with a better quality cocoa? If yours ain't broke, don't try to fix it!
Anyway, thanks so much for the recipe. I have a few more to try (one scratch & one mix).

ceshell Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 5:58pm
post #23 of 27

Aw rats, I am sorry for the problems you encountered. I have baked it with and without the strips and I must say, it tends to perform better with the strips. I don't know how to help you with the baking time though icon_sad.gif as I have never experienced that problem...but I always use round pans. 1 hour to bake @ 300 sounds about right so I am surprised to find that your edges were over done. I have never had to trim anything off of this cake except for the occasional dome.

If you can resolve the baking time issues, I would definitely attempt it with dutch process cocoa. You know, the cocoa can affect the baking too, as there is a different ph (acidity) level of alkalized cocoa. I have never found this cake to be bitter, and the last group of people I baked it for called it the best chocolate cake they'd ever eaten...so something is definitely up! I mean, not everyone will like every cake, but if it's kind of bitter, that doesn't match up.

lecrn Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 6:49pm
post #24 of 27
Quote:

Aw rats, I am sorry for the problems you encountered. I have baked it with and without the strips and I must say, it tends to perform better with the strips. I don't know how to help you with the baking time though icon_sad.gif as I have never experienced that problem...but I always use round pans. 1 hour to bake @ 300 sounds about right so I am surprised to find that your edges were over done. I have never had to trim anything off of this cake except for the occasional dome.

If you can resolve the baking time issues, I would definitely attempt it with dutch process cocoa. You know, the cocoa can affect the baking too, as there is a different ph (acidity) level of alkalized cocoa. I have never found this cake to be bitter, and the last group of people I baked it for called it the best chocolate cake they'd ever eaten...so something is definitely up! I mean, not everyone will like every cake, but if it's kind of bitter, that doesn't match up.

Oh, I believe that it could be a very delicious cake! Maybe it was b/c of the type of cocoa. I believe that i read that natural cocoa has to be paired with baking soda. Dutch process doesn't react well with soda.
http://www.joyofbaking.com/cocoa.html
The cocoa that i used was natural, but maybe it would work better with a better quality cocoa or dutch process.
Maybe we just don't have sophisticated palates. All of my recipes (with the exception of 2) are cake mix based.

honeyscakes Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 7:19pm
post #25 of 27
Quote:

Okay. I've tried the recipe & tasted:
I used 1 cup natural Hershey's cocoa, 1/2 cup Hershey's dark, & Land'o Lakes butter (that's what I had on hand). I baked the cake in a 9 x 13 pan & used a flower nail. I followed the recipe exactly.
It took the cake 1 hour to bake @ 300. It was frustrating b/c the sides of the cake was done sooner than the middle. I knew that I was over baking the sides so the middle would be done. It did dome & crack as suggested in the recipe. The cake sit all night wrapped in plastic wrap & I tried it this morning.
I tried an end piece first & it was over done. The middle was much, much better! The crumb was nice & it was very moist. I think that it had more of a choc. bitter taste than I'm used to & less sweet. I usually use a doctored choc. mix recipe. My DH tried the cake & he had the same opinion. I probably won't use the recipe for a layered cake b/c I would have to waste so much of the cake when I levelicon_sad.gif
Have you tried to bake the cake @ a higher temp? Used bake even strips? Wonder if adding some baking powder would help it rise?
Maybe it would be less bitter with a better quality cocoa? If yours ain't broke, don't try to fix it!
Anyway, thanks so much for the recipe. I have a few more to try (one scratch & one mix).

awww I am sorry!!!
here try this recipe.
http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/alain-roby-devils-food-cake
This is a VERY durable cake.I plan on using it for topsy and scuplted cakes.It was very moist and easy to handle without all the pesky crumbs etc.
I even took pictures of the cake for anyone who would like to look at the crumbs and texture icon_smile.gifI tried adding them here but I think the resolution is making it difficult for them to be attached to the message.If you /anyone like..I can email the pictures to them.
Good luck
- honeyscakes.

lecrn Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 5:21pm
post #26 of 27

I found the winning recipe!!!
After trying many recipes (scratch & doctored box) I've found what I've been looking for. It's actually a doctored box recipe submitted by cakemommytx here on CC:

TRIPLE CHOC FUDGE CAKE:
1 box BC Triple Chocolate Fudge Cake (w/ mini choco chips)
1 box DH Dark Chocolate Fudge cake
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup cocoa
2 cups sourcream
2 4oz pkg chocolate fudge instant pudding
8 eggs
1 cup veg oil
2 2/3 cup chocolate milk
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup mini choco chips
Sift dry ingrediants together and then add wet, mix until incorporated and then mix for 2 minutes. Bake at 325 until toothpick comes out clean. You may have to test a few times, sometimes I hit a choco chip and my toothpick comes out all messy.

I halved the recipe using 1/2 of ea mix. I only had sugar-free choc. pudding, so I added 1 cup sugar. I also added 1/4 tsp of salt (b/c of the added sugar). I subbed 1/3 strong black coffee for 1/3 of the choc. milk and used Hershey's dark cocoa and chopped Ghiradelli choc. chips.
I used a 10 x 3 round pan & the cake rose flay all the way to the top without doming or cracks (used flower nail & cake strips). It was so moist & chocolately! It had a great texture that i can use for carving or stacking.

I'm so excited! Thanks everyone for your help. I was hoping for a scratch cake recipe, but this one is going to be hard to beat!

honeyscakes Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 4:48am
post #27 of 27
Quote:

I found the winning recipe!!!
After trying many recipes (scratch & doctored box) I've found what I've been looking for. It's actually a doctored box recipe submitted by cakemommytx here on CC:

TRIPLE CHOC FUDGE CAKE:
1 box BC Triple Chocolate Fudge Cake (w/ mini choco chips)
1 box DH Dark Chocolate Fudge cake
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup cocoa
2 cups sourcream
2 4oz pkg chocolate fudge instant pudding
8 eggs
1 cup veg oil
2 2/3 cup chocolate milk
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup mini choco chips
Sift dry ingrediants together and then add wet, mix until incorporated and then mix for 2 minutes. Bake at 325 until toothpick comes out clean. You may have to test a few times, sometimes I hit a choco chip and my toothpick comes out all messy.

I halved the recipe using 1/2 of ea mix. I only had sugar-free choc. pudding, so I added 1 cup sugar. I also added 1/4 tsp of salt (b/c of the added sugar). I subbed 1/3 strong black coffee for 1/3 of the choc. milk and used Hershey's dark cocoa and chopped Ghiradelli choc. chips.
I used a 10 x 3 round pan & the cake rose flay all the way to the top without doming or cracks (used flower nail & cake strips). It was so moist & chocolately! It had a great texture that i can use for carving or stacking.

I'm so excited! Thanks everyone for your help. I was hoping for a scratch cake recipe, but this one is going to be hard to beat!

Oh my!!! This sounds awesome! I am glad you found the perfect one icon_biggrin.gif isn't it the best feeling! WTG cakemommytx thumbs_up.gif I can't wait to try this recipe,but for that one wedding cake,I think I will stick with the Whooley recipe.this one...I might save it for ME!!! for my birthday in May icon_lol.gif
- h

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%