Did You Ever Agree To Do A Cake...

Decorating By Jayde Updated 31 Mar 2010 , 2:54am by mamawrobin

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 10:51pm
post #1 of 13

and then last minute want to scream because you were stupid to agree to do a replica of someone else's far better work?

I am supposed to replicate this:

OMG I am freaking out, and its not because of the figures, its actually the volcano, which I already know how I am going to do it, I just am having issues with the irregular shape and carving and oh, I just dont wanna do it anymore...
LL

12 replies
robyndmy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robyndmy Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 11:14pm
post #2 of 13

Ack, I've never done any shaping like that before, so unfortunately I have no tips... but I have support!! Go Jayde, you can do it!! icon_biggrin.gif

No, in all seriousness though, I'm sure a few of the experts will drop by in a bit with some helpful hints for you. In the meantime, don't underestimate your abilities! I'm sure your cake will still turn out amazing, and we'll all want to see pictures once it's done. icon_smile.gif

Tiffany29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffany29 Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 11:15pm
post #3 of 13

Yes, I absolutely know how you feel. I was asked to do a bulldozer cake once. It almost had me in tears. I know that sounds stupid, but I am not good at carving and didn't want to mess up and have to start over.
(starting over really makes me want to quit, or have a beer!)
Then I kept putting it off and was trying to pull it together at the last minute, I literally finished the cake 15 min before pick up.

Stick to your plan. Take your time. I am sure you'll do a great job icon_smile.gif
Tell your customer their cake may not look exactly like the pic, but you'll do your best.

CCCTina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CCCTina Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 11:43pm
post #4 of 13

Do you have the Wondermold pan? You can probably use that and just put ropes of fondant on it to create the bumps, then cover the whole thing with fondant. So you would be building up instead of carving. That may get you close. Good luck.

lilyankee5688 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilyankee5688 Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 11:47pm
post #5 of 13

I'm no expert, but I think the volcano looks like the Wilton Wonder mold.. and fondant logs. then covered in brown fondant. at least if it isn't, that is how I would do it. I made a princes cake and had the logs under the layer of fondant and it made it look the same way as this, just my logs were smaller. This would need thicker logs and curve them down the side.. Hope this helps...

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 11:54pm
post #6 of 13

I just looked at your pics...and you can SOOOOOOO do that! Looks like to me they let the fondant "fold" over the volcano. Looks to be rolled pretty thick.
Good luck, you have the talent to do that cake for sure!

Jayde Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 12:08am
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTina

Do you have the Wondermold pan? You can probably use that and just put ropes of fondant on it to create the bumps, then cover the whole thing with fondant. So you would be building up instead of carving. That may get you close. Good luck.

That is exactly what I am thinking. I have to get started on those GP figures, sheesh they dont charge enough to have me make those things, what a PITA.

And bones, and nests, and rocks. Thank goodness I dont have to make the cavemen. Its going to take me 2 hours just to color all of that fondant!

I get exhausted just looking at the picture...

Madiken Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Madiken Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 12:14am
post #8 of 13

I also was thinking the wondermold pan would be great for this...

Kims_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kims_cakes Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 12:21am
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialtyCakesbyKelli

I just looked at your pics...and you can SOOOOOOO do that! Looks like to me they let the fondant "fold" over the volcano. Looks to be rolled pretty thick.
Good luck, you have the talent to do that cake for sure!

I agree! You can so do that cake, you've got some talent.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 12:30am
post #10 of 13

Yeah you can do it but leave off the rather suggestive accessories the cavemen have. There is a way to hold a spear to make it look like a spear and a giant....! The other one holding a bone looks like he is watering the rocks.

Jayde Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 12:37am
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadsmile

Yeah you can do it but leave off the rather suggestive accessories the cavemen have. There is a way to hold a spear to make it look like a spear and a giant....! The other one holding a bone looks like he is watering the rocks.

I know right? I am glad I dont have to make them, sheesh this is is already costing a them a fortune, not that I mind though icon_biggrin.gif

I am still pondering about that flying dude up there on the ledge. I can do the body, but I am wondering about those stinkin wings. They look like they are all one piece. I will probably attach them to the back and put him up against the cake.... Again ughhhh!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 12:46am
post #12 of 13

Actually it looks like the wonder mold pan as mentioned above...then ice it and use a huge round tip and pipe the buttercream ridges. Then chill.....then cover in fondant, ridges and all. Then go back over it and make the marks.

Your figures in your photos are great! You will do this cake no problem.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 2:54am
post #13 of 13

You will do a great job. Just be sure and post pictures! Heck, yours may even look better than the origional icon_wink.gif . Good luck to you. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%