Help With This Cake!!!!

Decorating By alvarezmom Updated 6 Apr 2010 , 6:34pm by alvarezmom

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 8:20pm
post #1 of 12

Can some one please help me to make this cake. Wedding is not until July so I have plenty of time.

I am just not sure where to start.

I am pretty sure the bottom half of the cake is not real leaving the top half cake covered in fondant (as well as the bottom portion). Support????
LL

11 replies
alvarezmom Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 8:21pm
post #2 of 12

Oh and the cake is to feed around 75ppl

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 8:35pm
post #3 of 12

It looks like the bottom half would be about 5 or 6 styrofoam dummies (circles) cut in half and placed side by side (glued together to form one long half cylinder. ) Then just looks like wooden dowels painted black for the 'legs'.

ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 8:38pm
post #4 of 12

You could use cake dummies, cut them in half (across the diameter) and stack them up for the length you want the grill to be and use that for the support portion. Then do the same for the top portion with a sturdy cake. So you would end up with the real cake on the top and the cake dummies on the bottom. "Glue" each layer to the other using icing and lining up the cut edges and then the same to hold the top onto the bottom. If you use six 8"x2" layers, cut in half, would give you 24" of cake from left to right (6 x 2 x 2"). You could adjust the size smaller or larger by using a different number of cake layers and different size cake layers. You could even make the cakes in advance, cut, stacks and crumb coat and freeze until a couple of days before it is needed.

Just a thought! Hope that helps icon_smile.gif

Misdawn Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 11:50pm
post #5 of 12

ok ptanyer...that's what I was trying to say, only you said it better!

ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 12:39am
post #6 of 12

I didn't know you had posted until after I posted mine...lol! Guess great minds really do think alike icon_biggrin.gif

alvarezmom Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 12:49pm
post #7 of 12

Misdawn/ptanyer-Thanks for the feed back. I figured it would be something along those lines, but I kept th inking "it CANT be that easy"!! LOL The only thing that has me a little worried are putting this cake on 4 dowel rods. I feel like it wont be enough to keep the cake up. Bride wants chocolate cake. The only chocolate cake recipe that I have is very moist.

Motorhead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Motorhead Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 1:07pm
post #8 of 12

try the guiness choc cake, delicious, dense and great for carving. holds up really nice. HTH icon_rolleyes.gif

alvarezmom Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 2:09pm
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorhead

try the guiness choc cake, delicious, dense and great for carving. holds up really nice. HTH icon_rolleyes.gif

Is the recipe in the recipe section?

endymion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
endymion Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 2:18pm
post #10 of 12

I'd try to figure out a way to somehow screw the support legs into a wooden board at the bottom. Otherwise, like you, I'd worry about stability.

Misdawn Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 3:00pm
post #11 of 12

You can get metal grommets (like the little end pieces you screw into the wall when hanging a shower curtain- the pieces the shower rod goes into at each end) at Lowe's or Home Depot for about $1 each. Then screw those grommets into your board where you want the legs to be. Then just insert your dowels (after you have applied Gorilla glue or something similar to the very tip of the dowel.) Works like a charm! Just make sure that you use a dowell large enough to fit SNUGGLY into the opening of the grommets. Don't want any wobbling!

alvarezmom Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 6:34pm
post #12 of 12

Misdawn-thanks for the suggesction. I'll look into that. I have until July but I want to figure this out before hand.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%