Wedding Order For Friend

Business By Noelle-and-Marie Updated 30 Mar 2010 , 8:31pm by Noelle-and-Marie

Noelle-and-Marie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Noelle-and-Marie Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 5:12pm
post #1 of 15

I have been decorating cakes as a hobby for many years and recently began to bring some to large social gatherings. Now, a friend of mine has asked me to make her wedding cake. She wants a 5 tier, 200 serving cake (buttercream with fondant decorations). I quoted her what I considered a low-mid price for such a monstrosity: $3 per serving.

She balked at the price, saying that $600 wasn't in her budget. I have been pricing all the cake boards, pans, separator plates, pillars and cake stand I will need (and don't own yet) and those costs alone are close to $300! icon_eek.gif

FIRST: Am I allowed to charge her more than material costs if I do not have a business license?

SECOND: Is $3 per serving really ridiculous for the NE Ohio area?

I've been reading about starting a business and am not sure I can afford to pay the fees and insurance costs when I am not planning to really do much more than 2 wedding cakes this year. I know I have the talent, but I am also homeschooling 3 kids and don't have the time to really make a go at a business right now.

Thanks for your help!

14 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 5:25pm
post #2 of 15

First, you firmly remind her "It's not a $600 cake. It's enough cake to feed TWO HUNDRED of your 'closest and dearest friends' who are coming to celebrate your wedding. $3 a person for 200 people is $600 no matter how you add it up. A $4 cup of Starbucks isnt' expensive .... until you're paying for 200 of them."

Two options: Give her the shopping list and have her buy you EVERYTHING you need (no substitutions allowed) and you get to keep everything as your "pay".

Or tell her "sorry, I can't do it cheaper than that. Good luck finding someone who can."

Noelle-and-Marie Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 5:34pm
post #3 of 15

I priced this cake to feed 200, but increased the serving size by 50% from the Wilton guide - so really she is getting a cake that is supposed to feed 300!!

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 5:39pm
post #4 of 15

You do not have to have a license to bake out of your home in Ohio. If you DO NOT have a license, you CANNOT see any goods that need to be refrigerated. Other than that, all is fair game. So to answer your first question yes, you can charge more than material costs even though you are not licensed.

Second question: No, $3.00/slice is not unreasonable. I charge $2.50/slice for buttercream and $3.00/slice for fondant. Those are my starting prices, so depending on the design the price goes up. I have a cake in August that averages at $10.00/slice. I was floored that the couple actually booked with me after giving them the total.

sambugjoebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sambugjoebear Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 5:42pm
post #5 of 15

You don't have to be licensed in Ohio in order to sell certain foods (cakes, breads, etc) from your home. You would fall under the Cottage Food Industry (basically what it comes down to is: you cannot make foods that need to be refrigerated; you have to label your products w/ item weight, ingredient list, and "This product is Home Produced.")

So, to answer your first question, YES you can sell cake without a business license in Ohio icon_smile.gif

For your 2nd question, $3/serving is not outrageous for what she's asking for.

What I did for my brother for his wedding: they bought all the supplies (edible and non-edible that I didn't already have) and I kept them as my payment. The time I spent making their cake was their gift, so I guess I split the cost with them icon_smile.gif

Ultimately, it's up to you how you want to deal with her. If she's balking at the price, tell her to get some price quotes from actual bakeries. She just needs to be educated on what a REAL cake costs icon_smile.gif

tbittner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tbittner Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 5:53pm
post #6 of 15

Don't sell yourself short, stick to your price. I am in the NE Ohio area as well and your pricing seems perfect, depending on how much fondant is used, you are likely lower than most would be.
Once she calls around she will be thrilled at $3 per serving!
Good luck!
Tracy

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 5:56pm
post #7 of 15

I am in NE Ohio as well and charge $3 per serving so I would charge her $600 for cake to feed 200 people as well.

Tell her she can purchase everything herself (and give her a VERY specific list) or she shop around and find someone to do it cheaper.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 6:27pm
post #8 of 15

I'm in northeast Ohio and I charge $2.50/serv. for bc tiered cakes w/ fondant accents! Your pricing is spot on! I also charge a $25.00 set up fee along with an additional $10/separator plate...so I would be charging nearly $600 for the same cake in the end at $.50/serv. less lol

Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 6:41pm
post #9 of 15

From reading the above, I'm depressed I don't live in Ohio with their cake laws! She would be getting a way better deal paying the $3 a serving then having to buy the supplies. I would take no less.

nicoles0419 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicoles0419 Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 6:45pm
post #10 of 15

when I seen the topic title "wedding cake for a FRIEND" i was like oh geeze, I do not like making things for friends because they always want a discount and get picky about things, Good luck,

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 8:07pm
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoles0419

when I seen the topic title "wedding cake for a FRIEND" i was like oh geeze, I do not like making things for friends because they always want a discount and get picky about things, Good luck,

Ain't that the truth! The next request will probably be if you can make it for her as her wedding present. If she asks that, tell her you were planning on spending X amount on her present, so you can deduct that from the price of the cake, and that discount can be her present!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 8:11pm
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoles0419

Ain't that the truth! The next request will probably be if you can make it for her as her wedding present. If she asks that, tell her you were planning on spending X amount on her present, so you can deduct that from the price of the cake, and that discount can be her present!

I always pointed out "who ELSE is getting you a $600 wedding gift?"

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 8:12pm
post #13 of 15

Just did this for a friend who is getting married in July. When I wrote up her contract I wrote "200 servings @ $6 per serving = $1200.00 less 50% discount = $600.00"

When she saw that she went "wow, I'm getting a screamin deal!" And she's right. I did not discount the delivery charge or the cake top fee since I had to go and buy the topper with no discount to me.

So state out clearly what you would be doing if she wasn't getting the discount and then give her the discount. She'll feel like she saved the world instead of feel like she's getting overcharged...which she isn't!

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 8:23pm
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noelle-and-Marie

I priced this cake to feed 200, but increased the serving size by 50% from the Wilton guide - so really she is getting a cake that is supposed to feed 300!!

And WHY on God's green Earth would you do that? icon_eek.gif

Serve her the actual 200 servings because honestly you just took your cake from being $3.00 per serving to $2.00 per actual serving. Your cost just went up because you are making MORE CAKE! If you are actually making 300 servings then what are you GIVING her is 100 servings for free, Actually you just gave her $300 worth of cake FREE!
I ask again...WHY?????????!!!!!!!!!!

Noelle-and-Marie Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 8:31pm
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesdivine

If you are actually making 300 servings then what are you GIVING her is 100 servings for free, Actually you just gave her $300 worth of cake FREE!
I ask again...WHY?????????!!!!!!!!!!

I really don't know...but am considering lowering the servings to the ACTUAL 200 and charging her $2.50 - while showing her a TRUE CHARGE of $3 for 200 servings with a discount. I also wasn't going to charge a set-up/delivery fee since I'm invited to the wedding (my kids are the ring bearer and flower girls as well).

WOW - thanks for all the advice and support! This is my first time ever posting and getting involved on CC and I love it!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%