Cake Fillings?

Decorating By Pickulz Updated 2 Apr 2010 , 7:12am by JanH

Pickulz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pickulz Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 2:26pm
post #1 of 7

What do you like to put between layers for cake filling?
I always end up putting the canned icing...but wanted to put some nice fruit or chocolate filling?
What would you suggest?
Im making a babyshower cake..from a box..but want to jazz it up with something? Any ideas?

6 replies
nicoles0419 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicoles0419 Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 3:01pm
post #2 of 7

you could use pie fillings, jelly, or there are some great recipes on here for like cookies n cream, or peanutbutter, tons of good ones on this site. We have a cake store that sells fillings, like apple, cherry, lemon.

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 4:34am
post #3 of 7

Can't lose with cookies and cream! It's easy, and will be a nice little extra inside!

steffla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steffla Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 4:39am
post #4 of 7

check out the "Help! Gourmet flavors..." thread in the forums....its truly amazing and you will never use canned icing again!

the link may be under my signature to a document of all the recipe suggestions from that thread. Fillings are at the bottom, hope this helps!

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 6:47am
post #5 of 7

Do you want to make something that will be shelf-stable, or is it OK if it requires refrigeration? That can help in your decision of what kind of filling to make. I can't recall the last time I used icing to fill a cake...much less canned icing. Box cakes can turn out fine but canned icing has a certain flavor that rubs me the wrong way. Especially if it's for adults. Even a straight powdered sugar+butter icing would taste more special.

If you don't mind refrigerating, you could make a yummy pudding filling - my last cake I did with vanilla pudding (from scratch) and raspberry puree. Jams or pie fillings, as mentioned above, can be nice. If you can get Rich's Bettercreme at a GFS or Cash n Carry type store near you (I don't know what regions have those stores) it creates great shelf-stable fillings when you add in flavored pudding mix (just the powder) or extracts. I did a scratch chocolate cake with peppermint Bettercreme, it was to die for! Peanut butter - oh yeah. Fresh strawberries are in season right now and are always welcome on a cake.

There are about a million ways to go with fillings! Just be sure to use a nice thick icing dam outside your filling to keep it from squishing out the sides.

iAmBrendaLee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iAmBrendaLee Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 6:56am
post #6 of 7

I've never made it before, but I plan on using this raspberry filling in my next cake:

Emeril's Raspberry Filling

4 cups raspberries
1 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch

http://www.emerils.com/recipe/35/raspberry-filling
(Mod edited to provide link.)

It looks pretty easy, and the ingredients weren't very expensive.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 7:12am
post #7 of 7

Here's a link to all the CC recipes section filling recipes:

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/category/fillings

GTG

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%