Any Self-Taught Cake Decorators

Decorating By Redsoxbaker Updated 14 Apr 2010 , 5:10am by Himee

tavyheather Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tavyheather Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 7:35pm
post #61 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by multilayered

The second cake I ever made I got goosebumps and looked at my husband and said "this is what I am supposed to be doing" Some people may find that funny or stupid because it is CAKE, but I don't care I love it, it is my passion and calling. I look forward to learning more and more and getting better and better. I truly love what I do and luckily I think I'm pretty good at iticon_smile.gif I'll add one of my more recent cake pic's.....

ahahha totally...I got a BA and wanted to be a teacher...just told hubby I "found my calling" and while he's amazingly supportive I know he was thinking.."not again"....lol I'm serious this time!!! lol, I know it feels like "just cake" but it's really art that's edible...you can't be unappreciative of ART, no matter what form it comes in

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 7:50pm
post #62 of 121

One thing I've noticed in this industry is that many of the most talented decorators are either self taught or have no formal training (i.e. pastry schooling), but rather have taken classes, joined ICES and hang out on the cake boards. Then practice, practice, practice!! icon_lol.gif

tavyheather Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tavyheather Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 7:52pm
post #63 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

One thing I've noticed in this industry is that many of the most talented decorators are either self taught or have no formal training (i.e. pastry schooling), but rather have taken classes, joined ICES and hang out on the cake boards. Then practice, practice, practice!! icon_lol.gif

yay!! then there's hope for me icon_smile.gif

Tiffany29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffany29 Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 8:09pm
post #64 of 121

I am also self taught. I am no expert by any means, or Duff! I have come along way since I found CC. I have learned sooooo much from this website and youtube. I still have lots to learn.
I have always loved to cook and bake. So whan I had kids I decided that I wanted to make all of their b-day cakes. (my mom always made mine.) Now I am cake obsessed! I love doing this and hope to turn this hobby into a buisness once I gain a little more experience!

smitakasargod Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smitakasargod Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 8:15pm
post #65 of 121

I'm self taught (not counting cake central!)...There is a wealth of information available online and in books. I believe passion can lead you to what you want to learn in most cases.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 8:15pm
post #66 of 121

Also self taught here. I have always had an art background...been a professional nature/wildlife photographer and am currently an event planner, both very artistic professions. Anything I have ever wanted to do with cake I have managed to find a book or website to teach me how to do it...that's how I found this place! I do feel that this place has allowed my artistry to soar. I have progressed more in technique in the past year than I have in 20. SO very grateful to the people who post here and will help you out with ANY technique.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 8:18pm
post #67 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

I have to agree with you on this.

djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 8:27pm
post #68 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by tavyheather

Quote:
Originally Posted by djs328

Off to make something fancy for a Fancy Nancy cake! icon_smile.gif

OOh I have an "order" from a friend for one next month!! can't wait! doing her sunglasses w/ gelatin lenses, a pearl necklace, gelatin butterflies..atop a frilly cake..so fun!

It is sooo much fun to do girlie cakes! The icing will be whipped cream, so I was limited with what mediums I could use for accessorizing, but have done chocolate tiaras, gumpaste flowers & butterflies, magic wands, a little high-heeled shoe, and of course, purple sunglasses! icon_wink.gif Will post pics on Friday morn. icon_smile.gif

multilayered Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
multilayered Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 8:47pm
post #69 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by tavyheather

Quote:
Originally Posted by multilayered

The second cake I ever made I got goosebumps and looked at my husband and said "this is what I am supposed to be doing" Some people may find that funny or stupid because it is CAKE, but I don't care I love it, it is my passion and calling. I look forward to learning more and more and getting better and better. I truly love what I do and luckily I think I'm pretty good at iticon_smile.gif I'll add one of my more recent cake pic's.....

ahahha totally...I got a BA and wanted to be a teacher...just told hubby I "found my calling" and while he's amazingly supportive I know he was thinking.."not again"....lol I'm serious this time!!! lol, I know it feels like "just cake" but it's really art that's edible...you can't be unappreciative of ART, no matter what form it comes in

It's a great feeling....and I have NEVER had it before. I guess I am a late bloomer, but at least I found my calling a lot of people never find what they truly love to do or have the ability to do it, and for that I feel very blessed. I am a mom of three boys and I've always known I was meant to be a mommy(and I love it) but job or career wise NEVER! I have had to struggle for a large part of my life but now, I have a fantastic supportive husband, three beautiful children, and I am starting a business that I love......I am a very lucky woman icon_biggrin.gif

momma28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momma28 Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 11:21pm
post #70 of 121

I am self taught. I have been baking for many years. My father was a sculptor so maybe he gave me some creativity icon_smile.gif

I have learned almost everything from internet resources (like cc ) and trial and error (lots and lots) When I recently met with the executive chef at a high end venue near me he asked where I was trained (I told him self taught) When I relayed this exchange to my oldest daughter (who makes amazing sugar flowers, just a little plug for her LOL) she said you should have said " Ummmm the international school of google icon_biggrin.gif "

Fairytale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fairytale Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 11:27pm
post #71 of 121

Yep, self taught . . . and still learning. icon_biggrin.gif

momma28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momma28 Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 11:28pm
post #72 of 121

multilayered wrote:

I totally understand that. I very often find myself praying and thanking God as I am doing a cake that this is the gift he chose to give me (not that I think by any means I am nearly as good as a lot of people here on cc but I think God gives each of us a gifting and I know that this love of cake is mine). I LOVE it.

When people ask me how I can own a cake business and be a mom to 6 I say that it keeps me sane, as a mother sometimes it is years, even decades, before we see the fruit of our labor in raising our children. But in just a couple of days I can take a pile of simple ingredients and make it into something beautiful. It gives me the visual proof of prgress I need to keep going in other aspects of my life where progress is slow.

tirby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tirby Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 11:35pm
post #73 of 121

I am Well except for ALL or you and one other dear friend

ZoesMum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZoesMum Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 11:36pm
post #74 of 121

So true momma28!! It is that visual proof of progress and the need the create something out of "nothing" that drives me to spend the long hours in the evening on cakes after my kids have gone to bed! A lot of people look at me like I'm crazy to be doing this "just for fun" as something to do while I am on maternity leave (my son is 9 months old), but I absolutely NEED to be doing something new and creative to keep my mind busy. There is only so many hours of baby talk one can do in a day without having an outlet in the evening imho! With my daughter I took up scrapbooking, and with my son it is cake decorating...interesting how there is definitely overlap between the two!

lilyankee5688 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilyankee5688 Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 11:50pm
post #75 of 121

I'm self taught, and still learning.. I used to just do a cake here and there, but now i'm starting to get people that I went to HS with asking to make their kids b-day cakes. I am a stay at home mom with my wonderful 2 year old daughter and I am going to school for Early Education, but have decided I want to become more serious in the cake decorating industry. So after this semester is done, I'm taking cake classes at my school and then go from there icon_smile.gif

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 12:32am
post #76 of 121

I'm self taught, CC taught and youtube taught.

And I love to eat my "practice" ; that's the best part.

Redsoxbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Redsoxbaker Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 12:38am
post #77 of 121

Tonedna, Do you have other DVD's for sale? I've only seen the ones on YouTube! icon_biggrin.gif

KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 12:49am
post #78 of 121

I for one am not an expert but I'm self-taught and like someone else mentioned CC taught.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 1:20am
post #79 of 121

I took the wilton classes 5 years ago, and was hooked! I try every year to set aside so much money for classes to improve my skills. I learn TONS from CC - literally something new every week! I still love taking classes whenever it is possible though. I also own all the DVD's that Sharon and Jennifer sell!

Tonedna, I am going to get your newest DVD when it is out (if you are autographing them, gotta have one of those!!) - I had to do the poinsettias before you were done with that one......you are definately one of my cake heros!!

I am so thankful that there are so many talented people on here that share so generously with all of us! icon_smile.gif

idocakes4fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idocakes4fun Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 1:38am
post #80 of 121

I am self-teaching and... well.... I'm just a sponge right now and gathering all the info and tips that I can to make my cakes better. And, I don't see that ever ending. I will always strive to learn more and practice w/ new techniques. As some of the others have said, I know this is what I'm supposed to be doing. In corporate world, I longed for a job that would allow me to be creative, always have new and exciting projects that have a true finish to show for it, and to make people feel good, which in turn makes me feel good. Whether we're self-taught or started out in a Wilton class, it's the passion that will make us grow and continue to learn from any source we can whether it be online, DVD or in a classroom. I so much value these discussions!

sheilabelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheilabelle Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 1:40am
post #81 of 121

Also self taught. I love having an idea or getting a request for a cake and figuring out how to do it. Getting on CC and doing some research. My husband told me that this is what I was meant to do. I have been doing cake for a little of a year and have loved all of it. I have been doing about 2 cakes a week, and I hope that it continues.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 3:11am
post #82 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsoxbaker

Tonedna, Do you have other DVD's for sale? I've only seen the ones on YouTube! icon_biggrin.gif

Is coming out this month..For sure by the end of the month, but trying to hurry
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 3:13am
post #83 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

I took the wilton classes 5 years ago, and was hooked! I try every year to set aside so much money for classes to improve my skills. I learn TONS from CC - literally something new every week! I still love taking classes whenever it is possible though. I also own all the DVD's that Sharon and Jennifer sell!

Tonedna, I am going to get your newest DVD when it is out (if you are autographing them, gotta have one of those!!) - I had to do the poinsettias before you were done with that one......you are definately one of my cake heros!!

I am so thankful that there are so many talented people on here that share so generously with all of us! icon_smile.gif

icon_lol.gif So I have to autograph all of them!... icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
Thanks for thr complements!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 3:25am
post #84 of 121

I am sel taught...and use all tools available to go further, ie cc, youtube and dvd's

redheadfairy2003 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redheadfairy2003 Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 3:39am
post #85 of 121

I am self taught for the most part..... I have had some classes this past year.. Thanks to CC and youtube for the most part... Lots of practice ! I wanna learn everything I can. Thank for everyone that made the videos on youtube..

rebew10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rebew10 Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 3:45am
post #86 of 121

Self taught here too and far from being an expert. The only classes near me are only held during the evening....worst time for me due to baseball, soccer, basketball, you name it!! Would have to travel an hour to get to a place that does them during the day. Would love to take some and learn how to make gumpaste flowers, along with some other basics I haven't quite got down yet!

dianab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dianab Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 1:19pm
post #87 of 121

I am so far self taught... Still a beginner and still so unsure of everything I do!!! CC has been amazing! But, I may decide to take a class... sometimes I think certain techniques can help make things so much easier!

dianab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dianab Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 1:31pm
post #88 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

I always tell my Wilton students my experience with the buttercream rose. Because while I can do some pretty good ones now, 9 years ago when I took the class I couldnt get it. I hope that it shows them that yeah, I can do them now, but it took doing many of roses for me to get it. They too can do it with some hard work.

This is why I think I may take a class... I am so scared of the buttercream rose!!!!!!! I would be forced to learn it, and hey, maybe I will have a natural talent for it!!! icon_lol.gif Never know until you try!!!

Tiffany0481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffany0481 Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 1:56pm
post #89 of 121

I am also self taught and still learning all the time!! I tried one day after watching the cake shows on TLC/Food Network. I made a Turkey for Thanksgiving and was hooked!! I slowly started making cakes for every little holiday and birthdays for family and I have sold one cake so far and now I am working on three more for paying customers for this week. I actually have people requesting them just from seeing what I have done so far. I have always loved crafty things and art so cakes are right up my alley. This website has been a lifesaver. I love it and I am truly addicted. Thank you everyone on here for your wonderful tips!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 2:25pm
post #90 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianab

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

I always tell my Wilton students my experience with the buttercream rose. Because while I can do some pretty good ones now, 9 years ago when I took the class I couldnt get it. I hope that it shows them that yeah, I can do them now, but it took doing many of roses for me to get it. They too can do it with some hard work.

This is why I think I may take a class... I am so scared of the buttercream rose!!!!!!! I would be forced to learn it, and hey, maybe I will have a natural talent for it!!! icon_lol.gif Never know until you try!!!

Exactly. I have had some that come in and get the rose right away. And I have had others that had to work harder, like me to get it. I have also had some that come back to me a few months down the road and tell me it finally clicked for them.

One thing about the class is that you have someone there to tell you if your icing is too dry or to soft. They also can show you hands on how to do it, help with areas you have problems with and so on.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%