Supports For 6 High Diaper Bag Cake

Decorating By MissyTex Updated 30 Mar 2010 , 1:22pm by MissyTex

MissyTex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissyTex Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 12:37pm
post #1 of 5

I am planning a diaper bag cake for an office baby shower next week. I have baked a cake in my 11 x 15 pan, chocolate. The layer is a little less than 2 and I was planning on cutting it in 3rds and stacking them. With filling I figure the cake will be at least 6 tall. How should I support this? I really feel it needs it. The cake I made is very moist. I have skewers and I have dowels. Since Im not particularly fond of how skewers split when I cut them I am leaning towards 4 or 5 sharpened dowels hammered into the board.

The cake I made is so moist that a couple of chunks stuck in the pan when I released the cake. I wanted to fill it with vanilla SMBC. I tasted it with my scraps last night and it was Divine! But I am worried (1) that the cake is too moist and wont hold up well for this design and (2) it will slide around if I fill it with SMBC. I am considering baking a different cake.

This cake will be a lot of firsts for me as I also want to frost it with ganache (or maybe SMBC) and cover it with modeling chocolate and Ive never done either.

I appreciate any advice on any of these issues. Thanks!

4 replies
Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 1:00pm
post #2 of 5

I would torte each layer in half....so you have six thin layers....then do this:

Cake/thin layer filling (buttercream)/cake/buttercream/cake/buttercream.

NOW put bubble tea straws or other supports into the cake as if it were a bottom tier, and then line with wax paper, a bit of buttercream, and then a cake cardboard cut to size. Put a bit more buttercream for glue, then layer the last three cake layers with buttercream.

Carve as needed and then crumb coat...let refrigerate for an hour or so, then ice...then chill again, then fondant.

Good luck!

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 1:03pm
post #3 of 5

split the sheet cake...cut into thirds....cake, filling, cake, filling...supports, board...cake, filling, cake...trim entire piece then ice all over. Doing everything while the cake is chilled makes it easier so, you may have to periodically place it in freezer 'fore continuing on with next step.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 1:16pm
post #4 of 5

I reckon I was typing while you were posting kitagrl

MissyTex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissyTex Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 1:22pm
post #5 of 5

Ok, I get where youre coming from, treat it as a stacked cake, with 2 tiers. Thanks!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%