A Dissatisfied Customer.

Decorating By michaelahayes25 Updated 5 Apr 2010 , 12:58pm by tcakes65

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 8:17pm
post #151 of 165

I most recently delivered a small smash cake which i made it an 8 inch instead of a 6 and one of those giant cupcakes.

and the cupcake was supposed to be raspberry lemonade filling instead of strawberry.
i normally do small smash cakes that are 6 inch to match the decor of the big cake(35.00) because i personalize the smash cake.

Would the cake have been edible if it was an 8inch as opposed to a 10inch??????

and instead of the other cake being a strawberry cake it was a white cake so the filling was fine.

the cupcake was white cake with rasberry lemondade as opposed to strawberry with rasberry lemonade.

I don't think she was a PITA at all...she ordered something she didn't get....Yes?

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 9:32pm
post #152 of 165

Did you read the entire thread all the way thru?

In her first email it was fine (not being a PITA), and the OP took steps to remedy that situation.

However, the client's subsequent emails and attitude are what is the issue.

all4cake Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 9:41pm
post #153 of 165

Yes, I read it all the way through.....information ain't jivin' for one thing...the cake was wrong with the right filling...then the filling was wrong...OP made an 8" instead of her normal 6" for which she gets $35 for because she personalizes it...but in response it's a 10" instead of an 8"....
regardless...OP knew and agreed she didn't make the cake the customer ordered....for that reason and that reason alone, the customer DESERVES and should EXPECT no less than what she paid for...making another cake in the flavor(s) she asked for isn't ludicrous or being a PITA.

she didn't ask for a bigger than normal cake...she asked for a specific flavor of which she didn't get....

The OP offered a 10% discount on a freakin' future order....how in the heck does that make THIS situation right???

Seems like the issue began with the initial post...if it'd been handled, there wouldn't have been an attitude or at least an enhanced bad attitude...

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 10:07pm
post #154 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaStew

A scarily overwhelming percentage of the most horrid people I've ever met in my life are also the most churchy.

And very eager to let you know it.

I apologize for all of them. They ruin it for those of us who try to live what we believe.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 10:11pm
post #155 of 165

If I messed up a flavor...but the cake design was exactly as ordered, and the cake was consumed and enjoyed by all the guests....I think a small refund would be in order (maybe 10%-20% of the order cost) and then maybe a token coupon for the next order (free delivery or 10% off) or a free 8" dessert cake in the requested flavor.

I don't think a full refund, or a free decorated cake, would be in order...IF the cake was otherwise as ordered.

I didn't read the whole thread...I read the first three pages like last week and couldn't believe the thread is still going. LOL.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 10:35pm
post #156 of 165

[quote="Kitagrl"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaStew

A scarily overwhelming percentage of the most horrid people I've ever met in my life are also the most churchy.

And very eager to let you know it.

Meh, don't worry about it. I don't take into account whether someone's a churchgoer, I judge them by their actions thumbs_up.gif

noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 11:09pm
post #157 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

Yes, I read it all the way through.....information ain't jivin' for one thing...the cake was wrong with the right filling...then the filling was wrong...OP made an 8" instead of her normal 6" for which she gets $35 for because she personalizes it...but in response it's a 10" instead of an 8"....
regardless...OP knew and agreed she didn't make the cake the customer ordered....for that reason and that reason alone, the customer DESERVES and should EXPECT no less than what she paid for...making another cake in the flavor(s) she asked for isn't ludicrous or being a PITA.

she didn't ask for a bigger than normal cake...she asked for a specific flavor of which she didn't get....

The OP offered a 10% discount on a freakin' future order....how in the heck does that make THIS situation right???

Seems like the issue began with the initial post...if it'd been handled, there wouldn't have been an attitude or at least an enhanced bad attitude...

i think the issue of her becoming a PITA is where she is saying the cake was "inedible" and that "guests were lining up to throw it out".
last time i checked, just because the flavor was different, doesnt make the cake inedible.. and wont have guests lining up to throw it out. unless of course ALL the guests were allergic to white cake?? im not sure.. maybe the customer invited all her friends from her "allergic to white cake support group" or something.Shes then yabbering on about how her daughter was "heart broken". Far out, kids dont give a crap, feed them cake and they are happy as larry. But then again, maybe these kids who are allergic to white cake have also gotten the "spoilt brat gene".....

The customer was rude. wipe her off. next please.

michaelahayes25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michaelahayes25 Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 6:18pm
post #158 of 165

(all4cake) i do not think that you read all my posts. i was as much as possible updating everyone on the issue between emails that were directly quoted from her and my response back to her. The initial issue was that she did not receive a strawberry cake (it was white) and that there was too much filling in the other. The client is the one that has been changing the issue with each email. i have addressed her more than fairly i think, and the tone within her emails is also another issue. does she deserve a full refund for the two cakes i delivered? i do not think so, she got two cakes that were decorated perfectly fine and just because both of them were white cakes instead of one being strawberry will not end the world.

(Kitagrl ) and yes you are correct a small percentage is more than fair!

(cakesbycathy )(noahsmummy ) yes the issue was that the client was being extremely rude, and despite her being rude i still offered her a refund as long as the remaining cake that was left over i could pick up.

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 8:07pm
post #159 of 165

The only thing I have issue with is that the customer did not get what they asked for. End of story. I would correct this by doing exactly what you said you would do. If she provided cake so that you could see why she was displeased, you would provide her with a full refund. She didn't do that, because she threw it out. So no refund. Tell her the best you can do is a 10% discount off of her next purchase within the next 6 months. You've already lost money on this transaction, by the time you compound it with even more traveling expenses and a free cake it just becomes ridiculous...and I would express that to her. If she is satisfied...so be it, if not...so be it.

all4cake Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 9:54pm
post #160 of 165

I read all the posts...your's and everyone else's too. The information you stated and her response don't add up to the same thing...

You stated you did an 8" instead of a six inch that you normally do for smash cakes

She replies to an email with would it have made any difference if it had been an 8" as opposed to a 10"...like she'd gotten a 10".

Maybe none of your posts have anything to do with anything at this point as you've already taken care of the situation as you seen fit (and had I noticed the date, I would'nt have posted to begin with but, now that I have...).

I never said you should've refunded her for both cakes...I thought she deserved compensation for the one you made incorrectly...no proof should be necessary as you knew what you made and you knew what she ordered and you knew they weren't the same thing.

She stated she got the wrong thing...at that point, a replacement cake or refund for the incorrect item should've been offered not a discount on a future F-ed up order. She got excuses/reasons/whatever why she didn't get what she ordered which seemed to me lead to pissy emails.

I'd throw it out too if the reply to my email was I'll give you a 10% discount on a future order...how assuming that is ...she probably got pissed off at the gall and replied with it was inedible to jar you into realize she wanted restitution now...for this cake...not the opportunity to do the same thing...again. (and I'm not saying you would mess it up again...I was looking at both sides of the situation).

michaelahayes25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michaelahayes25 Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 2:14am
post #161 of 165

(all4cake) yes but she had an issue with both the cakes delivered not just one of them. now as far as the 8 inch vs 10 inch vs 6 inch, she received an 8 inch instead of the original order which was a 6inch. What she was stating was that it would not have made a difference if it was a 10 inch, because in her eyes there was something wrong with the 2nd cake as well

hollyberry91 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollyberry91 Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 3:38am
post #162 of 165

michaelahayes25 - i think you handled the situation well. I think the most important thing when dealing with rude client's like this lady is to not get on their level, which you didn't. You apologized for your error and offered her a discount in a professional manner. It's good not to get nasty back because you never know who all will see ya'lls emails just like she probably doesn't know her rude comments are being seen by lots of people on this site. Let's say she forwards your emails to all of her co-workers i don't think any of your responses tp the situation would prevent them from ordering from you and thats what really matters. But if you would have gotten sassy back with her they wouldnl't have respect for you like the probably don't for her. If she would have remained polite the whole time and her original emailed would have said something like "Hey, The cakes looked great but just wanted to let you know that you made the strawberry with raspberry filling cake vanilla cake by mistake" you probably would have been much more eager to "make it up to her" and make her a strawberry cake. If that lady was smart she would have know you are much more likely to get your way by being sweet than by being nasty icon_biggrin.gif

hollyberry91 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollyberry91 Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 3:41am
post #163 of 165

and another thing.. i do think it's really annoying when people accompany rude behavior with a bible verse. Nobody's perfect but it's really misleading people to what christianity is all about.. It's about love not spite..

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 4:14am
post #164 of 165

Hmmm, well I would definately be "booked" the next time she wants to place an order.

tcakes65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcakes65 Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 12:58pm
post #165 of 165

The story has changed repeatedly throughout the thread from the original post. icon_confused.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%