Cake Stands-Do You Supply Them? What Do You Charge?

Business By hollyberry91 Updated 5 Apr 2010 , 12:19am by ladyonzlake

hollyberry91 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollyberry91 Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 3:43am
post #1 of 9

So ive been doing cakes for a little while and have recently been asked to do some weddings and i was wondering do most decorators usually provide the cake stands? If so how much do u charge and do you charge a deposit also? One of the weddings is cupcakes and ive seen some that look like stacked boxes with fabric on them. Any advice on how to make those and how much should i charge for something like that? Thanks!! icon_biggrin.gif

8 replies
Dreme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dreme Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 4:46am
post #2 of 9

Wow! I just came in from working on a stand that im making. I do provide stands for my clients at $35 per rental. There is no deposit and the fee is nonrefundable. If your going to rent out stands have a stand rental policy.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 5:00am
post #3 of 9
Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 5:03am
post #4 of 9

DH made me the tiered cake stand like Antonia showed -
Then i asked him to make a pedestal stand that can be used on top of it all
(as seen in my picture files - a wedding cake with 420 cupcakes)

If i use that i charge $100.00

If i use my clear perspex tiered stand i charge $150.00 - that covers replacement cost plus freight.

If i use one of my good china cake stands then i charge what ever it costs to replace it.

Same as my tall glass Matini Vases (for cookies/lollies)
I charge the replacement cost.

Those costs are for Deposits -
Then i charge $40.00 hire.
For wear and tear - cleaning afterwards - ect.

I guess prices vary depending where you live and the cost of replacing things.

Bluehue.

Solecito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Solecito Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 10:46pm
post #5 of 9

I only ask for a deposit wich covers the cost of replacement. (plus tax, shipping, etc)

Dreme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dreme Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 11:07pm
post #6 of 9

Do you guys return the deposit to the customer upon return of the rental?

For me I charge a $35 rental fee per rental. A credit card must be on file to rent a stand. Stands must be returned by the next business day after the event. The first two days its late your card is charged another rental fee. On day three you are charged the replacement cost.

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 12:36am
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreme

Do you guys return the deposit to the customer upon return of the rental?
Yes

For me I charge a $35 rental fee per rental. A credit card must be on file to rent a stand. Stands must be returned by the next business day after the event. The first two days its late your card is charged another rental fee. On day three you are charged the replacement cost.
Prior to delivery i make arrangements as to when stands are to be returned or collected - if this isn't adhered to by the customer then i do charge another days rental.

Bluehue

cmalin3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmalin3 Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 1:49am
post #8 of 9

Another take on it...this is the verbiage from my contract regarding rental items. So far it has worked well for me since I do not yet do this full-time (would have to change the grace period, etc.).

"All items rented from me must be returned, clean and serviceable, within 5 days of the date of rental. Clients are responsible for shipping rentals back to me if delivery in person is not feasible within the stated time frame. Clients will be billed the full replacement cost of any items not returned in the time and condition stated above."

Just my 2 cents'! icon_biggrin.gif

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 12:19am
post #9 of 9

I take a refundable $100.00 deposit which is returned when the stand is. I rent it for $25.00 and it's due back the Wed. after the reception. $25.00 per day late fee if returned after that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%