Need Some Pointers On Fondant And Gumpaste Painting

Decorating By MBHazel Updated 30 Mar 2010 , 6:02pm by TexasSugar

MBHazel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBHazel Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 11:05pm
post #1 of 8

Hi all,

After failing to find what I need using the search feature ( operator error I think icon_sad.gif ) I am going straight to the source!!!!

I need to do a skateboard cake and plan to do the actual board as a gumpaste / fondant mix and when dry will just lay over a small single layer cake... with wheels, etc. I have never painted more than accents on fondant before, but think this will give me my best result. The colors will be BOLD. What is the best way to go about this? It will primarily be irregular stripes so no big concerns about a design. But wonder about the following:

How do I keep the "paint" from looking splotchy?
Should I paint it right after cutting the skateboard out, or after it has dried?
What is the best paint medium (Lemon extract, gel colors) so that I do not negatively effect the integrity of the fondant/gumpaste?

Thanks everyone for your HELP! I appreciate it.

Hazel

7 replies
Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 11:40am
post #2 of 8

I would paint it after it dries, and I would use airbrush colors to paint it. You can sue the color gels and something with a high alcohol content, but as you already know, that may make some "splotchy" spots if you don't get them mixed together well. Sounds like a very cool cake!

MBHazel Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 2:39pm
post #3 of 8

Hi Loucinda,

Thanks for the info.... when you use the airbursh colors (I don't have an airbrush) do you dust them on dry or mix them with something?

Thanks again!

CakeEvolution Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeEvolution Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 3:21pm
post #4 of 8

The airbrush colors come in a liquid form (similar to finger paint consistency) you can thin out the concentration of color with vodka as well.

MBHazel Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 3:26pm
post #5 of 8

Oh, Great!! Thanks so much for the info.

Hazel

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 5:35pm
post #6 of 8

I used airbrush colors on my skate board in my photos, and got the nice dark tons.

I like the airbrush colors because you can use them straight out of the bottle. No thinning, no mixing with anything.

I would wait until the gumpaste was dry before painting it.

MBHazel Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 5:54pm
post #7 of 8

Thanks TexasSugar, I just took a peek at your skateboard, it looks Great. Were the letters painted on as well?

Hazel

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 6:02pm
post #8 of 8

Yes they were painted as well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%