Mmf Isn't Stretchy??

Baking By gotweim Updated 29 Mar 2010 , 8:02pm by paulstonia

gotweim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gotweim Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 7:02pm
post #1 of 9

Hi~

I made mmf for the first time today and it isn't stretchy like pre-made fondant. I used the recipe at the link below....

http://www.cakejournal.com/archives/how-to-make-marshmallow-fondant#comments

Can this batch be saved?? Is there anything I can add to it to make it more stretchy? I've tried added water, but even the littlest bit makes it way too sticky. So then I had to add more PS. It's like an endless cycle. Does it need more marshmellow? Can that be added after the fact?

~Colleen

8 replies
Jenny0730 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenny0730 Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 7:04pm
post #2 of 9

Try adding marshmallows and if it starts to stick to you then add a bit of crisco to your hands.

The powdered sugar will make it stiffer.

paulstonia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paulstonia Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 7:30pm
post #3 of 9

Yes, too much powdered sugar will make it stiff. I never use the whole two pounds. Add some marshmallow. You'll get it, after awhile you won't even measure icon_smile.gif And if you don't add enough sugar you'll notice sagging when it's on the cake. I started to have that happen. I was adding less sugar, so it was softer and easier to work with and roll out, but then I started to notice sagging on my cakes.

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 7:32pm
post #4 of 9

mine call's for 1 reg bag of con sugar, 1 regular bag of mm marshmallows, and 2 teaspoons of water, and crisco up you hands. i alway's use crisco, when ever i work with it. and it comes out great

gotweim Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 7:40pm
post #5 of 9

Thanks! I added more marshmellow and it really helped...but maybe it helped too much! I'm now afraid of the sagging issue...it is VERY sticky! I'm afraid to add more PS but is that what I should do?

nwnest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nwnest Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 7:44pm
post #6 of 9

This recipe does not call for glycerine like many others do. I use the Macsmom BC flavored MMF recipe, which calls for a whole tablespoon of glycerine and is plenty stretchy.

Jenny0730 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenny0730 Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 7:58pm
post #7 of 9

Make sure it's not just sticking to your hands. add just a touch of crisco to your hands and see if that does it. if not, add a touch of powdered sugar. it also may not hurt to wrap up what you have and let it sit overnight. the way it handles right now and the way it will handle tomorrow will be different. (that's assuming you don't need it for today!)

gotweim Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 7:59pm
post #8 of 9

Thanks!

Thankfully I don't need it until Wednesday, so I'm going to let it sit until tomorrow and see how it goes!

paulstonia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paulstonia Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 8:02pm
post #9 of 9

is it still warm? It will stiffen up a little after it cools down.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%