What's Your Favorite Filling/icing To Pair With Lemon Cake..

Decorating By jadedlogic Updated 2 Apr 2010 , 5:40am by JaimeAnn

jadedlogic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jadedlogic Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 2:43pm
post #1 of 26

This week I made a lemon cake with raspberry filling and covered in White chocolate ganache.....and my bf said he likes it but doesn't like the white choc. ganache....he doesn't like choc. ganache either.

So what's your favorite icing/filling to go with lemon cake?

25 replies
Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 2:44pm
post #2 of 26

I love a lemon buttercream thumbs_up.gif

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 2:52pm
post #3 of 26

Raspberry.

SS385Monte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SS385Monte Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 2:55pm
post #4 of 26

I love the Whimsical Bakehouse Buttercream on lemon cake.

melmar02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melmar02 Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 3:10pm
post #5 of 26

Raspberry filling. Vanilla almond buttercream. Mmmmm.

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 3:14pm
post #6 of 26

We love caramel icing/filling - especially when it's a lemon poppy seed cake!! YUM!

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 3:46pm
post #7 of 26

Love blueberry filling with white chocolate BC! Blueberry is also great with lemon BC

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 3:50pm
post #8 of 26

I love lemoncurd buttercream. Just mix some lemoncurd to your normal bc. yummy!!!!!!!!! icon_smile.gifthumbs_up.gif

kjskid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjskid Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 4:03pm
post #9 of 26

lemon curd, for sure!

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 4:25pm
post #10 of 26

Strawberry filling (made with real strawberry's, sugar, water and corn starch)!!!

jodiebelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jodiebelle Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 4:25pm
post #11 of 26

Blueberry filling with lemon bc

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 4:37pm
post #12 of 26

We love caramel icing/filling - especially when it's a lemon poppy seed cake!! YUM!

CeeTee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CeeTee Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 5:25pm
post #13 of 26

The fillings I use most are either a flavored cream cheese filling, Strawberry preserves, or Lime Curd. Icing is almost always buttercream*, and I like to use LorAnn Princess Emulsion for flavor. It has a bit of citrus flavor to it which accents the Lemon cake very nicely.

* - I will only use cream cheese icing on a cake if a gun is pointed at my head, and even then that's not always enough incentive for me to deal with it

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 5:44pm
post #14 of 26

blueberry filling with a cream cheese buttercream

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 5:50pm
post #15 of 26

Raspberry or strawberry!

SugaredUp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugaredUp Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 8:17pm
post #16 of 26

I use a lemon filling recipe I got here on CC and mix it w/ Bettercreme, which makes a lemon mousse. My other favorite choices are lemon butter cream, made with fresh squeezed lemon juice - or raspberry filling.

jadedlogic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jadedlogic Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 8:26pm
post #17 of 26

Those all sound really good. For the lemon buttercream do you just add lemon extract or juice in place of vanilla?

I always have a problem with my raspberry filling soaking into the cake so it's not really a "layer" of filling.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 8:29pm
post #18 of 26

My lemon cake with lemon curd buttercream is my best seller. There is just something about it that just makes you melt. The filling is basically 1/4 - 1/2 cup lemon curd to 1 cup of buttercream depending on your taste.

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 8:37pm
post #19 of 26

My absolute, to die for, lemon cake filling is blackberry. I just use my regular imbc frosting and add some of the Smucker's fruit syrup (by the pancake syrup @ most grocery stores) it's so yummy I could eat it by the spoonful, it compliments the lemon very nicely and is actually a bit unique and unexpected. I've actually had great luck with all the fruit syrup flavors, the strawberry is heaven with wasc cake! They don't seperate or soak into the cake and they taste sweet but not artificial. icon_smile.gif

CakesGoneSweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesGoneSweet Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 8:49pm
post #20 of 26

Raspberry filling and white chocolate buttercream frosting. I have also used other fruit fillings but the raspberry is my most requested.

ChefAngie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChefAngie Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 9:13pm
post #21 of 26

Lemon Curd
Lemon Creme
Blueberry
Strawberry
Happy Baking and Decorating,
Chef Angie

SugaredUp Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 9:40pm
post #22 of 26

Lemon Butter Cream (c/o Family Circle)
3/4 c unsalted, softened butter
16 oz confectioner's sugar
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (1 lemon)
2 tablespoons water

Beat butter and 1 c. of the confectioner's sugar, lemon juice and water in large bowl until smooth. Gradually beat in remaining confectioner's sugar until good spreading consistency (I beat about 6 min - too long and it gets dried out).

Lemon Filling Recipe (from Carol - Cakecentral) [MY MODIFIED VERSION]
3/4 c. white sugar
2 tablespoons all purpose flour
2 tablespoons grated lemon zest
1/4 c. plus 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/4 c. orange juice
1 egg

Whisk sugar and flour together in saucepan. Add juices, zest and egg (whisk these in ). Cook until thickened. Remove from heat and cool completely. Fold in 1 cup Bettercreme (non dairy filling and frosting).

SugaredUp Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 9:43pm
post #23 of 26

I just made a 4 tier wedding cake that was lemon cake batter, filled with the lemon mousse and frosted with a lemon butter cream. To avoid lemon overkill, I mixed 1/2 of the lemon butter cream recipe above with 1/2 of my standard vanilla butter cream (which is a decorator's buttercream). It worked well, smoothed fine. The cake isn't overly lemony, and with the balance of the vanilla buttercream and the Bettercreme added to the lemon filling, it was a delicately lemon cake. Perfecto!

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 9:46pm
post #24 of 26

1/4 c. lemon curd mixed into 1 - 2 cups SMBC.

vanki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vanki Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 5:04am
post #25 of 26

Huckleberry, MmmMmmmMmmmm! And Lemon Poppyseed!

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 5:40am
post #26 of 26

Fresh raspberry or blackberry filling made from berries i grow in my garden. I make my filling kinda thick with some cornstarch and let it cool before filling cake with it this way it doesnt soak into the cake.

If the cake is just for family I like to frost it with whipped heavy whipping cream and top with some fresh berries the same as the filling.

I have a neice that always wants lemon cake with chocolate buttercream She loves it , I have never tried it .

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%