Banana Cake...???

Baking By Tclanton Updated 29 Mar 2010 , 8:41pm by moranda

Tclanton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tclanton Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 1:07pm
post #1 of 21

I have a client that likes banana cake - does anyone have a recipe for this? I know that I can put banana pudding in the mixture, but wanted to see if you guys/gals had any good ideas. Thanks for reading!

20 replies
cricket0616 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cricket0616 Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 1:28pm
post #2 of 21

Not sure of the look you are going for, however my grandmother made a banana cake that was fantastic and it was doctored from a box mix. She used a plain yellow cake and added a box of vanilla pudding. She followed the directions on the box, however she used milk instead of water. After she baked the cake and allowed to cool, she would place a layer of thinly sliced bananas on the cake in between the layers. As for the icing, she used a 7 minute icing. It does not make for a pretty cake, but the flavor was wonderful.

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 1:30pm
post #3 of 21

Go here https://www.lorannoils.com/ for a great banana creme flavoring. I use it to puch up my banana bread.

Tclanton Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 1:37pm
post #4 of 21

I am looking to do a 2 layer 10" round. And I was hoping to do the smooth BC for icing.

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 1:41pm
post #5 of 21

I just made this one a few weeks ago and my hubby (who doesn't like cake or fruit) loved it. He said this is the cake I have to bake for him from now on.

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7362/carrot-cake-or-banana-cake

I threw in a handful or two of mini chocolate chips. Then I iced it in IMBC. Due to the buttery icing, it reminded me of banana bread from the oven with butter, but soooo much better. So yummy!

Tclanton Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 3:13pm
post #6 of 21

Thank all of you for the ideas!

moranda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moranda Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 3:17pm
post #7 of 21

My family loves banana cake and I found an easy way to doctor a cake mix.
I use a french vanilla cake mix and make according to directions but I throw in 2 very riped smashed bananas.

Tclanton Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 3:48pm
post #8 of 21

That sounds good and simple also. So here is another question? Say I use two very ripe bananas - 2 layer 10 round - what flavor filling? I believe using banana pudding will be overkill - think maybe something to compliment the banana.

Thoughts?

Chasey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chasey Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 3:56pm
post #9 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tclanton

That sounds good and simple also. So here is another question? Say I use two very ripe bananas - 2 layer 10 round - what flavor filling? I believe using banana pudding will be overkill - think maybe something to compliment the banana.

Thoughts?

If I were the one eating the cake, I would prefer vanilla buttercream. Or maybe chocolate buttercream.

If you like a fruitier cake, I like strawberry with banana on occasion. icon_smile.gif

Tclanton Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 4:07pm
post #10 of 21

So instead of using like pudding or preserves, use icing between?

Debluvs2bake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debluvs2bake Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 4:15pm
post #11 of 21

Try a hummingbird cake (recipe easily found online). Has bananas, pineapple and pecans, and is devine. Cream cheese buttercream would be good too.

LindseyLoocy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindseyLoocy Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 4:36pm
post #12 of 21

Cream cheese icing goes well with banana cake as well, or at least for the filling. The mickey cake in my pictures is banana cake with cream cheese frosting. It's more of a spice cake that's really heavy though and the recipe's a bit of a pain. If you want to see it, send me a pmicon_smile.gif

Chasey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chasey Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 4:53pm
post #13 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tclanton

So instead of using like pudding or preserves, use icing between?

Absolutely, if you want to! In fact, my entire life I have only eaten and made cakes with buttercream icing in between the layers. It wasn't until I started reading cake forums that I realized most of the time a "filling" referred to preserves, pudding, twinkie, bavarian cream, etc.

I like just plain ole good icing!! icon_biggrin.gif

But you do have some great suggestions on this thread for other ideas.

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 5:09pm
post #14 of 21

Magnolia bakery cookbook has a wonderful banana cake recipe with white chocolate cream cheese icing. Check amazon, i think it's one of their viewable book pages. I loved it so much I got the book.

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 5:09pm
post #15 of 21

Google Paula Deen's banana cake. I found it in a cook book (I don't have it with me right now). It's very good and moist. I used a little less bananas than what it calls for and it still turned out really good.

Jaimelt76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jaimelt76 Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 5:24pm
post #16 of 21

The buttermilk banana cake on here is so good with peanut butter buttercream. I make this combo alot as it is my kids favorite. Here is the link to the recipe.

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/2381/buttermilk-banana-cake

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 5:33pm
post #17 of 21

Another tip...purchase extra bananas and let them ripen until the skin is very spotted (brown) and almost soft. Place in freezer then when ready to use just "slide" the fruit out into bowl. The banana will be very ripe and sweet. There will be a lot of "banana water" that you will need to discard. This is just extra liquid from the fruit and is the reason that the flavor is so concentrated.

Tclanton Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 5:39pm
post #18 of 21

Where do you find the recipe for peanut butter buttercream?

Jaimelt76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jaimelt76 Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 6:34pm
post #19 of 21

Peanut butter buttercream.

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/6804/peanut-butter-buttercream

It is so good. I just used it on a choco cake for my son. This is also the one I use for the banana cake.

Tclanton Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 8:34pm
post #20 of 21

Thank you very much!

moranda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moranda Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 8:41pm
post #21 of 21

Fill with chocolate ganache and iced in bc.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%