Flower Nail In The Cake

Decorating By nicoles0419 Updated 29 Mar 2010 , 12:24pm by leah_s

nicoles0419 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicoles0419 Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 1:18am
post #1 of 7

I keep seeing people bake their cakes with a flower nail.. what do they mean? what does the flower nail do? I tried searching but everytime I search for somthing, everything comes up but what I'm looking for (my sister makes fun of me becuase I'm the only person that can't work google lol)

6 replies
jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 1:22am
post #2 of 7

Bake it inverted in the center of your large cakes to conduct heat to the center and make baking more uniform. I use them for anything 10" and larger. Be sure to spray it first with cooking spray.

AKS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKS Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 1:32am
post #3 of 7

Jamm is right. It conducts heat and it should be used with 10" + cakes. Here's what I do, step-by-step:
Prep your cake pan with the parchment circle and cake release. I then brush the nail completely with the cake release and lay it in the middle, inverted, so that the nail part is sticking straight up. Pour your cake batter over the nail and bake as usual. Very easy. Let the cake cool for about 10-15 min. in the pan, invert to remove cake from pan and remove the nail. HTH

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 1:33am
post #4 of 7

I use 1 or 2 nails in all my pans larger than 8 inches. It helps cook the center of the cake so that it is all done at the same time, instead of waiting until the center is done but risking the edges getting dried out and overcooked.

nicoles0419 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicoles0419 Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 2:53am
post #5 of 7

oh cool thanks I have a big cake this weekend so I will give it a try icon_smile.gif

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 11:44am
post #6 of 7

Just a couple more things I've learned from others here on CC:

When you flip the cake out onto a cooling rack, make sure that the nail will land in one of the holes in the rack. If it hits the rack itself, your cake will split.

Instead of using this site's search engine, go to google and type in "Cake Central + _________" Put whatever it is you're looking for in the blank. It works every time!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 12:24pm
post #7 of 7

I tried this flower nail thing once and I still think it's just a bunch of silliness. Turn your oven temp down.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%