Michaels To Stop Selling Wilton Cake Pans !!!!!

Decorating By Carlachef Updated 30 Mar 2010 , 9:42pm by Carlachef

Carlachef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carlachef Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 10:22pm
post #1 of 51

I just heard from my Asst. mgr at Micheals that Wilton Cake pans are being replaced by a brand that is exclusive to Micheals. It's the same company that is doing some of their disposable decorating bags and candy bags. So on top of news that Micheals will carry the Duff Stuff and Cake Cricut, they are incorporating new cake pans. What do you all think ??

50 replies
bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 10:28pm
post #2 of 51

Well that explains it!! I saw several cake pans over there the other day with a "Michael's" Brand label on them. I still haven't seen the Duff stuff there yet. Now if we could just get them to stop selling Wilton fondant... icon_rolleyes.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 10:33pm
post #3 of 51

I think it's fabulous. Nothing is worse than Wilton stuff.

nicoles0419 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicoles0419 Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 10:43pm
post #4 of 51

when they teach wilton classes they tell u to buy wilton stuff... so what would they do if they dont sell the stuff?

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 10:46pm
post #5 of 51

I love the idea of Wilton having some competetion in the craft store market. I think the reason they've been able to get by with such substandard products for so long is that they were the only thing that hobby bakers could buy at the craft store.

retaunton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
retaunton Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 10:49pm
post #6 of 51

For many the Wilton stuff is their only choice as where they live there are no other options than Hobby Lobby, Michaels and other large craft stores. Internet shopping is not always an option because of the high cost of shipping. Plus for hobby bakers I think it is great. It doesn't cost a lot (especially with coupons from the large craft stores) and it lets a hobbiest/beginner test the waters before investing a lot of money. Think of all the Moms who are able to do a character cake for their child. Think of the fond memories for the Mom being able to do the cake and for the child getting the cake of their dreams. Not everyone is a professional or aspire to be one.

Ivy383 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ivy383 Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 11:02pm
post #7 of 51

I love the Wilton Character pans. I also took my first cake decorating course with a Wilton instructor at my local Michaels. They made me buy everything Wilton. I hope they don't stop selling their character pans. Also Wilton has come a long way in the past few years. I like many of their new products. (I just don't like their fondant)

Carlachef Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 11:08pm
post #8 of 51

Actually,I love the Wilton Pans. I'm just very suprised at the move. I'm not sure about the character pans. I hope they dont stop selling those. In reading the Micheals memo, We will be introducing them into our classes in May. Well we'll see how it goes. I've tried other brand pans and supplies and can say that Wilton's stuff is just fine. The fondant, now that's another thing altogether. All you Wilton haters, you'll have to admit, even the greats use some Wilton products.

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 11:20pm
post #9 of 51

The brand I have seen on the shelves is Celebrate which is Wilton's, so I don't think that they are eliminating Wilton from the stores. Wilton is the number one manufacturer of cake supplies and that would be cutting off their nose to spite their face, especially when they teach the cake classes there. I think that things may not have the Wilton name so prominently on the labels.
evelyn

Carlachef Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 11:24pm
post #10 of 51

Nope, that's what I thought at first. That's why I thought it was strange. Nope, it was a money issue. I read it in an official Michaels memo. Nope, not made by Wilton. It's a private label.

thumbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thumbs Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 11:32pm
post #11 of 51

I have tons of Wilton pans as that is all I can get around here. I don't have a problem with any of the pans I have or most of the Wilton stuff I have. Agreed the fondant is terrible but I do like using it for molding figures as most people don't eat those anyways and it has a great texture for that.

I am thrilled that Michael's is starting to sell other brands as I feel limited in what I can buy from Michaels and have all the Wilton stuff I need.

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 11:38pm
post #12 of 51

Its good that there will be a choice of products at Michael's but I never had any problems with Wilton pans.

paulstonia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paulstonia Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 11:49pm
post #13 of 51

I have wilton round pans that I have no problem with but my square set if horrible. The sides are NOT straight. It is ridiculous! I got an older wilton square pan at a garage sale, the sides are straight on it. So when did wilton decide to you don't need straight sides to stack a cake? I hope the new product is better.

jojo0676 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jojo0676 Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 11:54pm
post #14 of 51

I don't really mind the rounds. I got the paisley though and the sides are not straight on those either. Very annoying because I had to add tons of extra icing to even it all out.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 12:10am
post #15 of 51

I'm going with the evil you know. Nothing says the Michaels brand will be better than Wilton. I have some Wilton pans and the only ones I don't like are my 9 inch rounds because the sides aren't straight. My eight and six inch are. I might go buy the paisley set with a coupon if they're going to discontinue the Wilton pans or maybe I'll get them at hobby lobby. Did anyone notice that HL has started selling Loranns flavorings?
Now if we could only get them to sell Hi ratio shorteningicon_smile.gif

anasazi17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anasazi17 Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 12:44am
post #16 of 51

I wonder if they are actually doing away with it...or if Wilton just has a different line name. We are too quick to critique Wilton as bad--I can say for sure that if Wilton wasn't as readily available as it is I probably wouldn't be decorating cakes for a living now. That's how a lot of us got our start I'm sure icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 1:04am
post #17 of 51

I always thought the wilton stuff was fine, too ..... until I got my hands on some GOOD stuff. Then my attitude was "oh my god, how in the world did I do it with that OTHER crap for so long?"

anasazi17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anasazi17 Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 1:10am
post #18 of 51

HAHA, yes Debi I can agree with you there!!

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 1:13am
post #19 of 51

I agree with you Debi, totally!!!!

Before I really started with my own decorating, I didn't know of life outside of Wilton. icon_redface.gif

Now that I have gotten some ML pans, and Americolor colorings, I think "who knew???"

It is good for competition for Wilton, hey, its good for everyone.

AKS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKS Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 1:45am
post #20 of 51

Yeah, I'm 50/50 with Wilton. They had a line of 3" deep pans a few years ago that were pretty good. The squares stink. It's like they try to come so close, but just seem to miss the mark with a lot of things. Anyone remember their "shimmer dust"? Looked like luster dust but it just SOOOOO wasn't luster dust. I'm all for competition in these stores. Bring on the different brands, different inventory and the Hi-R shortening!

chefjulie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjulie Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 2:01am
post #21 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

I think it's fabulous. Nothing is worse than Wilton stuff.

Ditto!

It may not be much better, but I dont see how it could POSSIBLY be any worse!!

thin4life Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thin4life Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 2:47am
post #22 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

I love the idea of Wilton having some competetion in the craft store market. I think the reason they've been able to get by with such substandard products for so long is that they were the only thing that hobby bakers could buy at the craft store.

This post is for Texas_Rose and all the other people who like to trash Wilton. I am a WMI and yes there may be some things that Wilton makes that aren't the best but is it necessary to trash them. I have seen it on this website several times and it really makes me angry. Wilton is so good to their instructors, they really treat us well. I think more people ought to go by the old saying 'IF YOU CAN'T SAY SOMETHING NICE THEN DON'T SAY IT AT ALL'

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 3:04am
post #23 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by thin4life

Quote:

This post is for Texas_Rose and all the other people who like to trash Wilton. I am a WMI and yes there may be some things that Wilton makes that aren't the best but is it necessary to trash them. I have seen it on this website several times and it really makes me angry. Wilton is so good to their instructors, they really treat us well. I think more people ought to go by the old saying 'IF YOU CAN'T SAY SOMETHING NICE THEN DON'T SAY IT AT ALL'

Well, you get paid to say Wilton is good stuff. I don't. And some of their stuff works fine and some of it is crap. I have a ribbon cutter, fondant punch set, quick rose bouquet set, leaf texture set (whatever that folder one was called), fondant mat, gumpaste flower kit, just to name a few, that I paid good money for and they just don't work. We won't even get started on the topic of their fondant, gumtex, or the way that the icing colors always leak and make a huge mess. It makes me angry when I buy things expecting them to work and then they don't. I used to think I just wasn't figuring them out, until I got online and discovered that I wasn't the only one who had problems with them. By then it was too late to return them to the store, or else I would have. Every time I go to the craft store, if I see someone looking at one of those things that I've wasted my money on that just didn't work, I tell them not to waste their money on it. Usually they will ask me about other things, and I'll tell them if they're good things...for example I like Wilton's piping bags and tips, and the small cake leveler is good too. But don't criticize me for speaking up when something doesn't work.

OMGitsaLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OMGitsaLisa Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 3:07am
post #24 of 51
Quote:

So...we shouldn't share our opinion about anything unless it's totally positive? I don't really like most Wilton products either because they're not made as well as I wish they were. It's not a personal attack on you, WMI or not. It's not a personal attack on Wilton, either. It's their products. That's all.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 3:10am
post #25 of 51
Quote:

I think more people ought to go by the old saying 'IF YOU CAN'T SAY SOMETHING NICE THEN DON'T SAY IT AT ALL'

This saying is so "victorian era" and in a lot of circumstances doesn't make any sense.

In my various positions in corporate america, we WANT our customers to tell us the bad stuff. How else can we fix it or make it better? If we made a crappy power cord or provided a crappy service, should they just walk on by with a casual "oh it's fine!" ?

If my 17-yr old daughter is wearing something that makes her look like a whore, should I just say, "Oh that's a nice color on you sweetie!" and let her walk out the door like that?

Any company that doesn't want to hear the "not nice" comments about their product, doesn't give a dang about their customers to start with.

That saying is something that SOUNDS nice .... but the application in the real world just isn't reality.

Mrs-A Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mrs-A Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 3:19am
post #26 of 51
Quote:

Quote:

im a scuba diver and it seem no matter what the item being puchased, (baking, diving, golf etc) the topic of good v bad, high end v starter kit, quality v its ok and does the job always happens. as we say in the scuba industry, most long time divers end up with 2 sets of gear - the shop recomended (and sold for profit) beginners level that does not suit your diving needs after you have been a diver for about a year and the high end set you buy once you know alot more and understand more about quality and performance. This is the equipment you will end up recommending to others when asked what to buy.

as a newbie i look to those that have more experience, knowledge and skill to help guide me make better purchases and ive made quite a few purchases just on CC'ers recomendations so far. i dont see this thread is about trashing Wilton, just that these posters have been there and done that and they seem to have found better performing options and i can appreciate that. ask me about military tech rebreathers and im your girl but i look for CC'ers help on all things baking and i appreciate their honesty

cheers

marisworthit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marisworthit Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 3:27am
post #27 of 51

Wilton fills two niches. Hobby bakers and people who refuse to move on up to professional equipment. Period.

Sagebrush Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sagebrush Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 4:05am
post #28 of 51

The product I thought was so funny... the new GOLD pans I've been seeing recently. I was shopping with one of my friends, and they were so impressed by the gold color, but I picked it up, and it was so thin and flimsy feeling (it felt like a disposable pan, but of course, not at disposable prices)... not to mention nowhere close to straight sides (same size inside same size nested completely) and very rounded corners.

chrissypie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrissypie Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 4:10am
post #29 of 51

I def. agree that the Wilton pans are for hobby bakers. It is just too expensive to buy the other pans. At least for me. I happen to like my wilton pans. I DID spring for the Magic Line squares because I wanted to be able to learn squares with a better quality pan with straight sides, but the rounds are great. I see no need to upgrade at all right now. I am def. just a hobby baker, but take pride in my work and would like to improve so that maybe one day it won't be a hobby any more! That said, Wilton products have served me well. Some things better than others of course, but they are reasonably priced and if you use a coupon at Michaels or AC Moore, I really can't complain! I would love to buy Americolor colors, but the price including shipping is not in my budget at all. I doubt that craft stores weill start carrying this stuff. Seems like a cake decorating stores thing. I just don't think these stores have the shelf space, nor the desire to offer all kinds of high end cake decorating stuff. ( Although it would be nice!). I think it is aimed at the "Mommy who wants to make pretty cakes for her kids." ( by the way, that is me! LOL!) And that is just fine. I hope they don't get rid of everything Wilton. I kind of like them. Just my two cents! LOL.

Ballymena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ballymena Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 4:30am
post #30 of 51

The Michael's store I teach in(Canada) has the Duff fondant, it's very expensive, $29.95/2lbs. Last week one of the sales people told me they weren't allowed to handle it anymore so it wouldn't be reordered.
I like the Wilton fondant for figure modelling but make my own for cakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%