How Do I Use An "impression Mat On Butter Cream Frostin

Decorating By toreylynn Updated 29 Mar 2010 , 8:26pm by KHalstead

toreylynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toreylynn Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 8:44pm
post #1 of 8

i have a wedding cake on may 15th and the bride wants all buttercream the top and bottom tiers are the diamond pattern with pearl dragees @ each meeting point.... not sure how to go about this with buttercream but i am open to ANY suggestions i saw that some people used an impression mat, some used diamond cutters, just don't want to end up with a wedding cake disaster icon_wink.gif

7 replies
Tahleigh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tahleigh Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 9:12pm
post #2 of 8

I have used the diamond mat on buttercream. I just let it crust very well & then lightly used the mat. I dusted a little powdered sugar or cornstarch on the mat to keep it from sticking. Hope it works out for youicon_smile.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 9:16pm
post #3 of 8

I don't even dust mine, it doesn't stick as long as your icing is crusted well!!

Here are some cakes I've done with that impression mat
LL
LL
LL

KHalstead Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 9:17pm
post #4 of 8

by the way, the last pic there with the blue ribbon had silver dragees at the intersection and I just used tweezers to hold them and push them into the icing...easy peasy

MORSELSBYMARK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MORSELSBYMARK Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 11:15pm
post #5 of 8

Sharon Zambito teaches this in her buttercream dvd. I suggest dusting the mat and using a well crusted bc.

toreylynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toreylynn Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 11:43pm
post #6 of 8

thank you so much everyone now i just have to order the impression mat....do you have any favorites and by the way khalstead your cakes are b e u tiful i hope mine turns out half as good lol

sweetiesbykim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetiesbykim Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 11:51pm
post #7 of 8

I have that DVD and it's wonderful!!! BUT, I only use SMBC, so any experience in that? I even own the impression mat, but can only use it on fondant unless I find out otherwise! TIA icon_smile.gif

KHalstead Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 8:26pm
post #8 of 8

you can try and refrigerate the smbc cake.......but I don't know......that stuff is so sticky!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%