Stacking With Un-Doctored Boxed Mix Cakes

Decorating By AKS Updated 28 Mar 2010 , 11:17pm by AKS

AKS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKS Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 4:45pm
post #1 of 5

Can it be done? I need a 6", 4" and 2", so I'm pretty confident that if I used straws as dowels that it would be OK without the denseness of the doctored (sour cream/instant pudding) mixes. I should add that these cakes will be covered in MMF. Thoughts??

4 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 7:20pm
post #2 of 5

as far as stacking goes, as long as you are using the proper supports, the cake isn't holding up the next cake the supports are, so you can really stack anything. As far as if the cake will support the mmf that will depend on how thick a layer of fondant you put on it.

jhay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jhay Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 7:28pm
post #3 of 5

What kind of straws? Bubble tea straws will work great, but I'm not so sure about regular drinking straws.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 7:40pm
post #4 of 5

what peg said. i've used undoctored cake mixes for 30 years ... no problems ever.

AKS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKS Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 11:17pm
post #5 of 5

THanks, guys. I just use drinking straws and they've been fine so far. For bigger cake I'd use the bubble tea straws. Because these cakes are so small, I was thinking I should be OK, then indydeb chimed in and gave me the answer I wanted-so kind of you-deb! icon_wink.gif This cake is should be interesting-stacked, MMF, sugar tiles and cricut with modeling chocolate. Woohoo-I feel like I'm taking a walk on the wild side AND I LIKE IT! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%