Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 3:10am
post #31 of 63

This cake of Tonedna's is fabulous.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1460798.html

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 3:19am
post #32 of 63

I think if you want to avoid too much wedding vibe, what about the wire swirles coming out of the top with crystals hanging off of them. I always think the kind of explosive toppers are less wedding and more fun. Just a thought. I am sure it will be stunning. Makes you wonder what this girls wedding will be likeicon_smile.gif

CakeEvolution Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeEvolution Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 3:35am
post #33 of 63

http://myworld.ebay.com/diamondpartyconfetti

Awesome ebayers...Very helpful as well, if you contact them!!

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 1:13pm
post #34 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth0209

This cake of Tonedna's is fabulous.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1460798.html

Love that cake, but I love most of her cakes!! I'll show the customer the pic. We may use one of the tier designs as inspiration. I love the criss-cross with the crystal in the center.
Thanks!

lecrn Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 1:17pm
post #35 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeEvolution

http://myworld.ebay.com/diamondpartyconfetti

Awesome ebayers...Very helpful as well, if you contact them!!

Have you bought any of the edible diamonds? Is so, how was the clarity? I may buy some just to see what they look like. How about the crystal bands to go on the base of the tier?
She wants only the best, and that may mean using all real crystals on the cake. I've tried to discourage it, but she's already bought the real flower crystals as I stated above. She knows that all the crystals will have to be taken off. She said she's not worried about it. She has a server that will be doing it.

CakeEvolution Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeEvolution Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 1:26pm
post #36 of 63

I have purchased from them before... my diamonds were clear! They come packaged in a box and each diamond has its own little compartment to sit in (along with additional bubble tape).... once you open the box they move around a little, so make sure you wear gloves when handling the diamonds.

Shannon1129 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shannon1129 Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 1:29pm
post #37 of 63

I purchased Global Sugar Art diamonds and they were not sparkly at all. The looked more like glass instead of diamonds.

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 2:56pm
post #38 of 63

I know she has said repeatedly no price limit, but have you given her a quote yet? Or is that what you are working on?
As we've seen on here before, sticker shock does happen - even when there is "no limit".

lecrn Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 4:50pm
post #39 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccr03

I know she has said repeatedly no price limit, but have you given her a quote yet? Or is that what you are working on?
As we've seen on here before, sticker shock does happen - even when there is "no limit".

After we decide on a design, we will determine what extra materials that we need (cutters, impressions mat, luster dust, support system, crystals, etc). We will agree on a price per fondant serving depending on the difficulty of design & if any special filling is requested (ganache). There will be a cash deposit made (undetermined now) when we know what materials are needed. There will be no surprises. Everything will be agreed upon before anything is purchased. If there is any sticker shock, it will be realized before the agreement is made, and we can downscale. I really doubt that will happen. The previous sweet 16 party was inspired by a popular reality show.

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 4:57pm
post #40 of 63

Coolio - just wanted to make sure thumbs_up.gif

lecrn Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 5:04pm
post #41 of 63
Quote:

I have purchased from them before... my diamonds were clear! They come packaged in a box and each diamond has its own little compartment to sit in (along with additional bubble tape).... once you open the box they move around a little, so make sure you wear gloves when handling the diamonds.

Just ordered the smallest pack to see what they look like. I'll let you know what I think when I get them.

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 6:26pm
post #42 of 63

Hi on one of the other sites, they listed the cakestackers.com. interesting, also if money doesn't matter might be worth looking at

ninatat Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 11:51pm
post #43 of 63

those are nice, the 1 karet ones. good idea to order small, then you can see if they sparkle like sw's, in the smaller ones 2000 isn't alot; you think it would be, i don't know why i'm so excited about this cake, Edan's is beautiful, but are you sure you want the wedding look, hey be sure you keep in touch with her for collage and wedding cakes lol. yea i'd at least get a deposit that covers all the building materials, and decorations.

ninatat Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 10:50pm
post #44 of 63

any news any news have you thought about the sw figurines, funny i was dating a guy , i mentioned i thought i the hedge hog was cute, surprise got it, then guess what i got the the smaller one to. lol but he did good when he got me the shell with the pearl in it, not complaining about the hedge hogs though,

Tiffany0481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffany0481 Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 2:25pm
post #45 of 63

This sounds like an incredible cake! Good luck! I can't wait to see the pictures. Definitely agree with everyone else have tons of fun making this cake and go all out!!

ninatat Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 3:20am
post #46 of 63

hi sounds like it's coming togeather, when i was looking for a wrap for my son's wedding i was at jo-ann's i was going to trim it until i saw the prices lol, but they had it on a roll, 3 rows, what ever you wanted, they were beautiful, i was really tempted but way over my budget. you might want to take a look, it was by the inch.

ninatat Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 10:39pm
post #47 of 63

anything new, lol

lecrn Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 1:12pm
post #48 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninatat

anything new, lol

We've decided on using a dummy cake for the bottom tier. The tiers will be 14, 11, 8, & 5 inch rounds. That removes some of the stress b/c I can do the dummy in advance!
We'll make the final decisions @ the end of the month when she comes over for a tasting. She'll bring the invitation, so we can decide on the colors and design.
I'll keep you updated.

lecrn Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 1:15pm
post #49 of 63
Quote:

Got the diamonds several days ago. They look great. Very clear. I don't know if they'll be the correct size or if the customer will want to use them.
Thanks for the info. I would definitely use them for a cake (if not this one, one in the future).

ninatat Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 3:30am
post #50 of 63

anything new to let us know

lis73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lis73 Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 3:50am
post #51 of 63

In regards to attaching the crystals to the cake, what about the clear elastic they sell at fabric stores? I use them on my daughters dance costumes with great success. It would be time consuming, but if you could figure out a way to attach the crystals, the server could simply remove the band prior to cutting. Hope that helps!

lecrn Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 12:51am
post #52 of 63

UPDATE!!

I think that we've got a design that's about to come together!
The colors will be light pink & green.
4 round tiers: 14, 11, 8, & 6
Silver cake plateau.
Tiers will be alternating light pink and green with darker pink & darker green ribbon @ the base.
Top tier: pink crystal topper with wired crystal surrounding the topper.

2nd tier: "quilted" fondant with pink round crystals @ ea. point.
http://www.globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=21914&name=Simple%20Diamond%20Cutter%20by%20GSA

3rd tier: scroll with round, pink crystal mingled in:
http://www.globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=22782&name=Leafy%20Scroll%20Side%20Stencil%20by%20Designer%20Stencils

4th tier: crystal flowers in dot formation:
http://www.verydifferentcakes.com/products/swarovski-crystal-flowers.html

She wants the whole cake to be luster dust covered! I told her that I would have to use crystal colors b/c it's FDA approved & that it wouldn't look right unless it were airbrushed. Well, I may be getting an airbrush! I've never used one, so we'll probably get it shipped ASAP so that I can practice.

ninatat Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 4:45am
post #53 of 63

will she pay for the air brush machine, it seem's like an expense you didn't expect in decorating the cake, personally i think with her request of airbrush and you don't have one, and wasn't mentioned in the order she should, money was no object, just an opinion

lecrn Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 12:39pm
post #54 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninatat

will she pay for the air brush machine, it seem's like an expense you didn't expect in decorating the cake, personally i think with her request of airbrush and you don't have one, and wasn't mentioned in the order she should, money was no object, just an opinion

Yes. She will purchase it. It will be purchased for me to use on the cake. I can buy it after the cake is made, or it will be sold on ebay.

lecrn Posted 22 May 2010 , 4:53pm
post #55 of 63

Okay, here's the cake! Thanks for all the great advice! Lots of firsts with this cake.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1682065.html

egensinnig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
egensinnig Posted 22 May 2010 , 5:04pm
post #56 of 63

Lot's of firsts and you rocked it! It looks smashing and you should be very prud!

jayne1873 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jayne1873 Posted 22 May 2010 , 5:41pm
post #57 of 63

Wow it looks great, wish we could really see the sparkle though bet that was fab. Well done you, sounds like it was fun

lecrn Posted 22 May 2010 , 5:59pm
post #58 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayne1873

Wow it looks great, wish we could really see the sparkle though bet that was fab. Well done you, sounds like it was fun

Thank you both! It was really sparkly in person! The lighting was not to great when I snapped the pics. She bought the crystals from Very Different Cakes. They've got some beautiful crystals (flowers, butterflies, monograms)!

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 22 May 2010 , 6:16pm
post #59 of 63

Thanks for showing us the picture! The cake is lovely! How many hours do you think it took you to make this?

lecrn Posted 22 May 2010 , 6:39pm
post #60 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayMc

Thanks for showing us the picture! The cake is lovely! How many hours do you think it took you to make this?

Thanks! Really not as many hrs as I thought! I did a little practicing with the airbrush and stencil. I bought Americolor liquid pearl sheen and powder crystal color pearl. The powder looked so much better and didn't clog the airbrush as much as the Americolor.
The only thing that I made in advance was the small fondant blossoms with the crystal middles. Those where very easy and fast. I rolled out fondant with a pasta machine, sprayed with pearl, and cut with plunger cutters. I glued the centers in with gum glue.
The bottom tier was a dummy, so I covered it a few days in advance.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%