I Need Some Major Advice!!!

Decorating By lecrn Updated 23 May 2010 , 7:04pm by ninatat

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 6:24pm
post #1 of 63

I've just had a request for a HS graduation cake. This cake will be a "money is no object" cake to serve 100. I'm talking shimmer, sparkle, and over the top. The customer has requested that AB swarovski crystal be used (if possible on the cake, topper, and cake board).
I suggest edible diamonds, but I've never purchased them. Has anyone ever purchased the edible diamonds? I know that GSA sells them, but I'm unsure if they will look cheesy:
http://www.globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=25000&name=Clear%20Diamond%20Sugar%20Jewelry%20Stones%20-%20Size%204%20-%20by%20GSA

Is there a better place to purchase them?
She also requested a crystal initial topper. Where is the best place to order these from?
Where is the best place to purchase a silver cake stand?
Sorry for all the questions, but I'm very excited & nervous about this cake. She told me that she spent $3,000 on her sweet 16 party & that money was not an issue!

62 replies
shelbycompany Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbycompany Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 6:41pm
post #2 of 63

I would go to theknot.com for the cake topper. I recently got married and used that site alot. That's the only info I can share with you. Good luck on this cake. thumbs_up.gif I wish I had an order like that icon_lol.gif

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 6:48pm
post #3 of 63

Weddingcuts.com is a good place for the topper. I have ordered from the and directed brides to the site all with good results. HTH!

Sounds like a great order! icon_smile.gif

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 6:56pm
post #4 of 63

Cake STand: eBay for sure... I got one and it's gorgeous and wasn't too expensive...

I got the sugar diamonds from GSA.... don't recommend them.. they are opaque and they don't "sparkle"... go the a fabric store and buy the ones they sell as trim by the yard...

The cake topper... you dcan make one with the diamonds by the yard if you get them or check online... no sure where though...

hth

edited to add: for a lot of bling.... DISCO DUST!!! makes the cake look very sparkly.... specially when the light hit it.... I got it in silver and in black... RON BEN used it in a cake class I took and the disco dust in black looks very very classy....

dalis4joe Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 6:58pm
post #5 of 63

this is your chance to do a CAKE TV SHOW worth cake girl... go all out and share pics when u do it... good luck!!!

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 6:59pm
post #6 of 63

did you check ebay or etsy for a topper?

lecrn Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 10:25pm
post #7 of 63

This is the topper that she's probably going to purchase. The 5 inch one that $189!:

http://www.beau-coup.com/swarovski-cake-toppers.htm

She's also interested in the crystal flowers like the ones pictured with the topper, but they're not on that site.

Can you just attach the real crystals with piping gel onto the fondant covered cake? I think that she will buy real crystals for the entire cake!

lecrn Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 10:27pm
post #8 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalis4joe

Cake STand: eBay for sure... I got one and it's gorgeous and wasn't too expensive...

I got the sugar diamonds from .... don't recommend them.. they are opaque and they don't "sparkle"... go the a fabric store and buy the ones they sell as trim by the yard...

The cake topper... you dcan make one with the diamonds by the yard if you get them or check online... no sure where though...

hth

edited to add: for a lot of bling.... DISCO DUST!!! makes the cake look very sparkly.... specially when the light hit it.... I got it in silver and in black... RON BEN used it in a cake class I took and the disco dust in black looks very very classy....

Thanks so much for tips! I didn't think that the sugar diamonds would look too great. I was going to buy a pack just see, but I probably won't now.

lecrn Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 10:37pm
post #9 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenette

Weddingcuts.com is a good place for the topper. I have ordered from the and directed brides to the site all with good results. HTH!

Sounds like a great order! icon_smile.gif

Wow, this is a great site. You can really personalize the monogram!

lecrn Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 10:55pm
post #10 of 63

Okay, Sorry, But I'm about to have a HEART ATTACK!!!

She just emailed me to show me the crystal flowers & monogram that she just purchased:
Here's the flowers:
http://www.verydifferentcakes.com/products/swarovski-crystal-flowers.html

She forwarded me her receipt so I could see the flowers. She spent $1100 on the monogram topper & the crystal flowers!

icon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gif

She said that she would give me a $500 deposit or more if I needed it for the cake!!!!! icon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gif

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 11:00pm
post #11 of 63

have lots of fun with that cake !!! it is going to be awesome. which flowers/colors did she choose? I love bling cakes !!

Jenny0730 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenny0730 Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 11:03pm
post #12 of 63

That would give me a heart attack too!

I can't wait to see the cake!

lecrn Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 11:14pm
post #13 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesso

have lots of fun with that cake !!! it is going to be awesome. which flowers/colors did she choose? I love bling cakes !!

She ordered some of the 1st three styles with a fushia center. I kind of wish she bought all the same style.
Gosh, I'm so stressed! I need some design help!
Her colors are either going to be pink & black or pink & green.
I want it to look classy not trashy!

fabray13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fabray13 Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 11:35pm
post #14 of 63

I didn't think that the sugar diamonds would look too great. I was going to buy a pack just see, but I probably won't now.

I would not recommend them! I ordered a package and they are very yellow. Big dissapointment!

dalis4joe Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 11:35pm
post #15 of 63

U JUST WON THA JACKPOT!!!! awesome!! this is your chance to go to GSA.... get a whole lotta impression silicone mats (you know... the expensive ones...) use them on the cake since she is footing the bill... and you get to have all those nice mats to use on that cake and other cakes in the future.....

sorry... but I would loooovveee to have someone order a cake where they tell me not to worry about $$$ cause I would make the most beautiful cake with all those fun immpresions mats...cutters... silicone mats... etc... hehehehe

lecrn Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 12:01am
post #16 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalis4joe

U JUST WON THA JACKPOT!!!! awesome!! this is your chance to go to .... get a whole lotta impression silicone mats (you know... the expensive ones...) use them on the cake since she is footing the bill... and you get to have all those nice mats to use on that cake and other cakes in the future.....

sorry... but I would loooovveee to have someone order a cake where they tell me not to worry about $$$ cause I would make the most beautiful cake with all those fun immpresions mats...cutters... silicone mats... etc... hehehehe

I thought the same thing!! I've got to find some inspiration cake pics to sell her on some ideas. It's going to be difficult to make it not look like a wedding cake.

tavyheather Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tavyheather Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 1:52am
post #17 of 63

did u talk about doing your own isomalt crystals? I would think edible jewels would be preferred, and they dry very clear..you apply with food grade shellac..not piping gel...although if they were colored jewels you could prob get away with it...

The_Lil_Cakehouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Lil_Cakehouse Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 2:12am
post #18 of 63

This will be an awesome cake for sure. It may look like a wedding cake since its formal, but is there really anyway to get around that. LOL. The more extreme you go with the elements though may help. I can't wait to see it!!

lecrn Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 12:56pm
post #19 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by tavyheather

did u talk about doing your own crystals? I would think edible jewels would be preferred, and they dry very clear..you apply with food grade shellac..not piping gel...although if they were colored jewels you could prob get away with it...

No, I didn't suggest that. I know that she has her heart set on real crystals since she's already bought a bunch. I think it would be fine since they will be attached to a fondant covered cake. I just feel sorry for the server!

Would I attach the real crystal with the food grade shellac? Where do you buy that?

ttehan4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ttehan4 Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 1:17pm
post #20 of 63

Way to go! There is a square cake in my photos that had a Swarvoski crystal band around each tier. I used a little royal icing to attach it because it was so heavy. It was a very blingy cake and the ribbon sparkled like crazy. She also had the Swarvoski crystal your talking about.

Heres a photo for inspiration. You could add in the colors she decides to go with and do crystals on the cake board.
LL

ttehan4 Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 1:19pm
post #21 of 63

Crystals in place of the pearl on the trim in the photo I posted would be a huge wow factor.

lecrn Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 1:26pm
post #22 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttehan4

Crystals in place of the pearl on the trim in the photo I posted would be a huge wow factor.

WOW!! That's gorgeous!!! What's on the top surface of the tiers? What are the tier sizes?
Thanks so much. I'll send your pic to her to see what she thinks.

lecrn Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 1:30pm
post #23 of 63

Do you have a direct link to your photo?

ttehan4 Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 10:05pm
post #24 of 63

That is a photo I found online that I thought was pretty awesome. There is a website address on the photo where it is located.

My cake with the swarvoski border is the white square 4 tier with the feathers and hot pink roses in my photos. I can't attach it.

I would say that it is sanding sugar on top of the tiers or maybe even edible glitter. The sanding sugar would give it that crystal sparkle look.

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 11:17pm
post #25 of 63

price no option wow, i've seen a lot of initial of in the forum, she want's also something else on the top?, yea i'd say bridal, if she also like another topper, you can go to a local bridal shop and get swarski crystal tierra;s sp. you can also get sw crystals on e-bay just watch the mm size. i've used them in other things, much cheaper and bigger amounts, wow, what color does she want how cool. how many tier's , i think the edible jems look cloudy in the pictures you might even go to ( i collect these and can never remember how to spell it.) i have a large jewelry store that carry's a lot, like wall of sw crystal figurine's , they are beautiful maybe something she does or like's and maybe incorporate some kind of small light under it, they give of amazing color and some are colored. and then a keepsake. keep us updated on what you're doing with the cake lucky you

ninatat Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 7:41pm
post #26 of 63

so what are you ides's i can't wait to hear, are you making a sketch

lecrn Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 7:47pm
post #27 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninatat

so what are you ides's i can't wait to hear, are you making a sketch

The cake's not due until May 22nd, so we're just working on ideas right now. We're also waiting on 2 custom invitation options that should arrive in the next week or so. I think it will be easier to come up with a design once I see the invitation colors.
I showed her the above cake pick, which we loved except for the bottom tier.
The cake will be 4 tiers (maybe 14, 11, 8, & 5 in rounds) and one may be a dummy tier depending on how much cake that she wants.
If anyone has any design ideas or cake pics with a lot of glitz, I'm open for suggestions.

SugaredUp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugaredUp Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 8:04pm
post #28 of 63

I've used the edible diamonds from fancyflours . c o m. (hopefully that won't get blocked)

They are really nice.

I have done bling cakes in the past, they are fun. Just be careful not to overdo it, that's my only advice!

scociny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scociny Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 11:01pm
post #29 of 63

I think no matter what, it will look like a wedding cake, IMO. I did find this picture of a (wedding) cake that is quite elegant. Good Luck and I can't wait to see it when you are done!
LL

ninatat Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 2:51am
post #30 of 63

i like the idea of the sw crystal around the bottom oh each tear i would be worried the cutter might miss one if they were right on the cake, what i would do if you're thinking about it, would take a thin white or whatever color and glue them on. to the ribbon and it wouldn't show, l like the clear base on the bottom picture, would really make them glisten with the light under it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%