Need Help With Castle Cake

Decorating By topaz176 Updated 14 May 2010 , 1:14am by topaz176

topaz176 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
topaz176 Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 4:41pm
post #1 of 27

I need to make a castle cake. I want the towers to be edible.
Also how to I get the towers not falling down during transportation ?
I know most people use icecream cones for the top.
Any tips, tutorials or any thing else I need to know will be appreciated.

26 replies
mykidscakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mykidscakemaker Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 4:50pm
post #2 of 27

You can use Rice Krispie Treats for the towers, and put a dowel down the centre to keep them stable.

Good luck! I bet it's going to be fabulous!

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 4:55pm
post #3 of 27

Hi, I found these on Youtube,

HTH. icon_biggrin.gif

Ivy383 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ivy383 Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 5:25pm
post #4 of 27

Thanks for the info icon_biggrin.gif I will be making my first castle cake next weekend and I am am debating on whether I want to use the Wilton Castle Kit or make my own towers. icon_confused.gificon_smile.gif

jayne1873 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jayne1873 Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 5:49pm
post #5 of 27

I made a castle cake and made the side turrets were made from cake but the top turrets made from RKT with a dowels through the taller one

topaz176 Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 5:54pm
post #6 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayne1873

I made a castle cake and made the side turrets were made from cake but the top turrets made from RKT with a dowels through the taller one

From cake would be nice. Then I can top it with a cone.
How did you do that ?
How did it go with transportation ?
Any problems ?

topaz176 Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 6:13pm
post #7 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by bashini

Hi, I found these on Youtube,

HTH. icon_biggrin.gif

@ bashini
I was looking at the video and I never thought into doing it that way.
thumbs_up.gif

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 6:14pm
post #8 of 27

You are welcome! icon_smile.gif

UpAt2am Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UpAt2am Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 6:17pm
post #9 of 27

i recently made a castle cake and used the typical rounder ice cream cone, covered in mmf for the bottoms and then topped it with the pointy, cone shaped ice cream cones. i used royal icing to glue them together and then used royal icing to glue them onto the sides of the cake. for the ones on the "roof" of the bottom tier, you could dowel them onto the bottom cake and into the foamboard. and for the very top one, i doweled it into the top cake, through my cardboard circle, through the bottom cake and into my foamcore board. of course, make sure you do all of your doweling before putting the top cone on the bottom cone icon_smile.gif

it was so easy!!!
LL

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 8:02pm
post #10 of 27

I like that tutorial on making the towers out of gumpaste, that was good. We did a sand castle cake (http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1493849) and made the towers of RKT, like others have and the turrets were out of gumpaste. We attached the towers to the cake using buttercream. To give an idea of size, this cake fed over 200 people on the beach at a local state park.

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 4:39am
post #11 of 27

Just finished my first castle cake today with some helpul advice from cc'ers. I used the ice cream cones stuck end to end and covered in fondant for the towers. They were easy to do and worked great!
Then I tried several ways of doing the turrets. I ended up using Wilton candy melts and sprinkling colored sugar on them. I would probably use real white chocolate next time or fondant. I didn't think the RI worked well and I abandoned that attempt.
I transported it to the party across the city and it was a bit nerve-wracking. Next time I would secure the cones with RI. However, it also helped to carve in the castle cake a bit where the cones fit.
Have fun and good luck!
LL

jayne1873 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jayne1873 Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 7:14am
post #12 of 27

I baked a cake then used a pastry cutter to cut round circles in the cake stacked 3 together and glued each layer with butter cream. I then covered in fondant simply by rolling out fondant then putting the turret on its side and rolling it up in the fondant. I glued the turrets to the board at the corners of the main cake. No problems with moving or shifting hth

Makeitmemorable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Makeitmemorable Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 10:18am
post #13 of 27

Hi, I made this castle cake. I made the Turrets from fondant. I rolled them out and wrapped the fondant around the cardboard roll from a gladwrap roll. I mixed gumtrag with the fondant and they set in no time at all, I used a cutter to cut out the heart shapes and then removed the cardboard after about 20 minutes. I then repeated this step until I had made the various sizes. I used icecream cones for the top covered in fondant. I attached the towers using royal icing and had no problems transporting it. The drive was just over an hour.

I did allow the turrets to dry completely for about 10 days.

Good luck,

Kim icon_smile.gif
LL

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 10:51am
post #14 of 27

I just completed a sandcastle cake for a comptetion, and did the towers/turrets in fondant/GP as the previous poster said - wrapped around a cardboard roll until dry (afterwards I applied the crumbs for 'sand'). The top parts were made into conical shells - again fondant/GP wrapped around icecream cones.

To transport (almost 2 hours by car), I wrapped the cake and towers in a 6-inch wide cling wrap (Saran? in the USA) to hold everything together and it worked wonderfully!

HTH!

topaz176 Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 3:24pm
post #15 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesrock

Just finished my first castle cake today with some helpul advice from cc'ers. I used the ice cream cones stuck end to end and covered in fondant for the towers. They were easy to do and worked great!

Nice cake! I love the Idea of all cones !
Would it work empty or as a cone cake ??

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 3:28pm
post #16 of 27

The hard way I guess, I was very new...I did mine out of buttercream, the whole thing except I used cones turned upside down also....

came out pretty sad looking but it was my very first, and for my grand daug. If it doesnt post in here, then its in my pics....

I had found these tubes in a resale shop for .20cents each...to make the castle...later I found out you can use empty food cans that are washed good!
LL

pat-a-cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pat-a-cakes Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 3:46pm
post #17 of 27

I have made a couple castle cakes using the Wilton kit and have had nothing but bad luck. No matter what I have tried I can't make the turrets stay standing. I have never been happy with the end result when I use the kit either. I would reccomend following the ideas of the other posters and not using the kit.

topaz176 Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 4:52pm
post #18 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2txmedics

The hard way I guess, I was very new.....

..later I found out you can use empty food cans that are washed good!

Food cans ???? Cool Idea !
Like the soup can I see people here use to make a bottle ?
Hmmmmmm
I love CC
Many ideas.

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 10:36pm
post #19 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by topaz176

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesrock

Nice cake! I love the Idea of all cones !
Would it work empty or as a cone cake ??

Thanks! Yep, the cones were empty, but you could fill them with cake and/or BC if you wanted, I guess. Is that what you mean? I just made cupcakes to match (with the pink flowers on top) to supplement the cake, as I didn't think the cake would feed 30. Everyone loved that, esp cause little kids LUV to choose cake or cupcakes or have both! icon_biggrin.gif

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 3:01pm
post #20 of 27

I have a customer that bought the wilton kit for me to use to make the castle cake, now I wonder if I should use it at all.

What were the problems you had with the kit?

topaz176 Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 3:30am
post #21 of 27

Did you use the kit Loucinda?
How did it go ?

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 3:42am
post #22 of 27

Yes, I did. I think the design of it leaves a little to be desired. I think the tower things should be hollow, and they are not. They displace too much cake when you stick them into the cake. I ended up hot glueing the ones around the base of the cake to the cake board (and told the customer they were glued) I then substituted one of the hollow tubes and one of the hidden pillars for the towers that I stuck into the top tier. (since they were hollow it worked out better) I also hot glued the tops to those pieces before using them. I will post a pic tomorrow, I was not happy with the cake - but the customer absolutely loved it.....and that is all that mattered. I think if I were to make another one, I would not use the kit, I would make do with edible parts instead.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 1:40pm
post #23 of 27

If you want to use the Wilton kit there are some tricks. A couple of years ago Cami posted how to make the towers stable. It requires you drill out or cut out the bottoms of each tower because they are hollow inside. Then using chocolate you glue a dowel to the inside of the tower for the ones that will be inserted into cake. I think her post here was lost in the crash but I also remember she posted it on the Wilton forums. It really is the only way the Wilton kit works well. Also if I remember correctly she left the bottoms on the towers that get placed directly on the board and attached them with choc. Hope that helps.

topaz176 Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 11:22am
post #24 of 27

All that (construction) work icon_rolleyes.gif I prefer to stick with the edible.
I think I will do the tower in cakes and the top icecream cone.
My only worry is that the tower stick and not fall during transportation.
THis is the picture I am looking at.
LL

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 3:20am
post #25 of 27

When I transported my 6-tier sandcastle cake on a 2 hour car trip for the Show, I left the towers off and placed them with a blob of GP when I arrived. Saves the drama of worrying if they'll fall!

ChoueiriCakeCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChoueiriCakeCo Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 11:03am
post #26 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makeitmemorable

Hi, I made this castle cake. I made the Turrets from fondant. I rolled them out and wrapped the fondant around the cardboard roll from a gladwrap roll. I mixed gumtrag with the fondant and they set in no time at all, I used a cutter to cut out the heart shapes and then removed the cardboard after about 20 minutes. I then repeated this step until I had made the various sizes. I used icecream cones for the top covered in fondant. I attached the towers using royal icing and had no problems transporting it. The drive was just over an hour.

I did allow the turrets to dry completely for about 10 days.

Good luck,

Kim icon_smile.gif

Wow, I love this idea! I actually have a few cardboard rolls that I was planning on using with fondant, and now I have another use for them. Thanks for the tip thumbs_up.gif

topaz176 Posted 14 May 2010 , 1:14am
post #27 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpAt2am

i recently made a castle cake and used the typical rounder ice cream cone, covered in mmf for the bottoms and then topped it with the pointy, cone shaped ice cream cones. i used royal icing to glue them together and then used royal icing to glue them onto the sides of the cake. for the ones on the "roof" of the bottom tier, you could dowel them onto the bottom cake and into the foamboard. and for the very top one, i doweled it into the top cake, through my cardboard circle, through the bottom cake and into my foamcore board. of course, make sure you do all of your doweling before putting the top cone on the bottom cone icon_smile.gif

it was so easy!!!

Well I just wanted everybody to know how it went.
I use different cc members ideas since I wanted everything cake and did not want to use rice crispy or the kit.
The towers is cake baked in empty food cans and roof is icecream cone.
I doweled the towers straight through the cakeboards (drum).
I wanted it to reach safe at the party. Which it did.
BIG THANK YOU TO ALL.
(I posted the pic )

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%