Christening Cake And Sugar Diamonds

Decorating By cupcakefrost Updated 28 Mar 2010 , 3:40am by Ivy383

cupcakefrost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakefrost Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 4:25pm
post #1 of 4

hi! anyone ever make a standing dress cake? i have to make a christening cake and i would like to make it standing, n would love some tips.
also, i wanted to place edible diamonds on it. anyone ever use these, and are they really shiny when placed on cake? what's the best place to order them from?
thanks!

3 replies
Ivy383 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakefrost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakefrost Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 3:07am
post #3 of 4
Quote:

thanks! that's actually the website i had found before. were the diamonds nice and shiny once on the cake. i have read that once they are placed on a cake, their brilliance doesnt shine through, and is instead opaque-looking. did you find a trick for this? thanks again.

Ivy383 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ivy383 Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 3:40am
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakefrost

thanks! that's actually the website i had found before. were the diamonds nice and shiny once on the cake. i have read that once they are placed on a cake, their brilliance doesnt shine through, and is instead opaque-looking. did you find a trick for this? thanks again.

That does not happen all the time. It all depends on how you handle the candy diamond before you place it on the cake and what you use to attach it to the cake. Cooking spray or Crisco will do trick and bring back the shine. Before you place on the cake you place them on a paper towel and spray them with the cooking spray. Then you use the paper towel to shine them/wipe off the extra spray.

If they are already on the cake and they loose their shine I use a small brush and brush Crisco on them. (not too much Crisco) I hope all this helps. It all works for me. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%