Keep Gum Paste Flowers On Wire

Decorating By maudie21 Updated 28 Mar 2010 , 9:29am by Evoir

maudie21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maudie21 Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 3:45am
post #1 of 6

I am self teaching myself how to do gum paste flowers. I am trying to do ones that have wire for the stems, so I can get a more of a floral arrangement kind of look. The problem I am having is that before I can finish the flower, the gum paste tends to slide down and the wire pokes out the top of my flower. I am rolling the gum paste very thin so its not too heavy. I am at a loss, any suggestions would be greatly appriciated.

5 replies
jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 3:51am
post #2 of 6

Are you letting the ball/cone/teardrop (whatever beginning shape you used) dry for a while before building petals on it? I learned the hard way that it is best to let it dry.

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 4:04am
post #3 of 6

1. Build your cones first onto wires (or pistils, or centres) then let dry overnight.

2. When you are making centres, bend the tip of the wire on itself, forming a little hook/loop. Insert into middle of your flower centre/cone after you have brushed with the barest minimum of GP glue.

3. Ensure your GP is not too wet or soft, and also that you are not using excessive glue for sticking on your petals!! You may be able to get by with simply dampening the adhesion point with a slightly moist paintbrush.

HTH!

Lyndseyb52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lyndseyb52 Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 11:19am
post #4 of 6

Hi

Evoir is right, make the wire into a small hook, I bought myself some small pointy pliers just for my flower wires.

I know people say there are alot of tutorials on the internet for gumpaste flowers but thay can be too quick to follow sometimes, I found some great books in my library which helped me make new flowers.

Lyndsey xx

maudie21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maudie21 Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 1:20pm
post #5 of 6

Thank you for the advice. I will definately try your suggestions. I will post the pics of the cake in the next few days!!!

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 9:29am
post #6 of 6

Good luck with it Maudie! The more you do the easier it gets icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%