Tiny Flowers For Bouquet On Cookie....

Baking By EvMarie Updated 6 Apr 2010 , 12:26am by EvMarie

EvMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EvMarie Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 12:51am
post #1 of 10

Hi All -

I want to make a bouquet of flowers on a sugar cookie. Smaller flowers, 3d. I instantly thought of MMF/RBC ribbon roses. I'm thinking I would just make sure the fondant is very thin & cut pretty darn skinny. The little cutters may be nice to make a mixed bouquet, but not 100% sure.

I also would be adding leaves that were proportionate. The cutters I have I don't think are small enough. Should I just use a round tip as a cutter and then shape/detail?

I need these to dry so I can package in cello bags. Should I have these done a week in advance to make sure they set up?

Any other ideas? Tricks?
Thanks everyone!

9 replies
Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 1:13am
post #2 of 10

Great minds think a like....I plan to do flower basket cookies for either Easter or Mother's Day. You could either use fondant or make RI flowers. If you are covering your cookies in fondant then I'd use the fondant flowers. With RI iced cookies, you could do either. I'd make them 2-3 days before you need them. Oh...the only thing about fondant flowers is that they might get soft and "wilt" in the airtight bag.

HTH

Fairytale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fairytale Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 1:21am
post #3 of 10

I made the fondant flower cookies that are featured in the magazine (and are shown in Jackie's blog on the home page). The fondant works just a good as gumpaste, and holds up really well in celo bags. When I made the cookies in the magazine, I saved them for a week and then took them to my watercolor class. They held up fine.

You could cut your leaves free hand, or just use a tip. Sounds like your on the right track and I'm sure your flowers will be terrific.

EvMarie Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 2:26am
post #4 of 10

Thanks! Sometimes I make things hard...I appreciate the reassurance!

Dreme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dreme Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 3:31am
post #5 of 10

I think I have done exactly what your talking about. I packaged mine in cello baggies too. They were apart of my designs for Valentines cookies. The pic can be fournd here:

www.dremecakeartistry.com

It is the last image under my valentines post on the home page.

EvMarie Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 1:13pm
post #6 of 10

Dreme - I love your site! Very festive.

Yes, that last pic is very similar to what I want to do. Thanks for sharing it. I'm a visual person and just seeing that the cluster of mini ribbon roses look so great on your cookie helps a ton!

I appreciate your responding. I'm gonna save your site on my "favorites". Thanks again!

CookieMeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieMeister Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 4:42pm
post #7 of 10

I made some bouquet cookies using the Shooting Star Wilton cookie cutter.

Hmmm. I really need to learn how to hold a camera straight. That is one seriously crooked bouquet!! LOL

I used fondant blossoms and butterflies that I put in a flower former for shape. Only word of caution is to be careful when putting them in the bag - I had to re-do a couple of flowers when my clumsy hands touched directly on a flower while I was tying it up and broke the flower. But I also shipped that bouquet, and she said none of them were broken when they arrived, so I must have done something right!

BTW, Dreme, I also love your website! <<bookmarking to favorites>>

EvMarie Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 11:06pm
post #8 of 10

CookieMeister - I love your bouquet....very cool. I have all kinds of ideas in my brain but you know...when you have never done any of these things before, it's very easy to get carried away with something that just won't work.

This is off topic but....I can't believe you shipped that and it didn't break or anything! Holy Cow! Your butterflies appear to be "raised" up off the cookie. Did you dry them that way? I was wondering about shipping some of my ideas. I was thinking if they ended up upside-down that the decoration would probably get flattened to some extent, if not totally mooshed.

Since your bouquet was standing upright to begin with, you were probably less likely to have damage. I'll have to think about that. Interesting concept. Although, I may be worrying for nothing. If packaged properly, AND the fondant decoration is dried thoroughly, it may just work. Ever ship any cookies laying flat? I don't do bouquets...but would love to ship my favors.

Thanks for the reply!!!

CookieMeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieMeister Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 11:48pm
post #9 of 10

Ninety percent of my business is shipped. Those butterflies were raised - I put them in flower formers - I think the way I pack the cookie bouquets, us they were fondant, not gumpaste, helped. I ship my bouquets based on instructions on this website - I think it's under articles.

I use white pizza boxes for shipping cookies flat. I put a layer of bubble wrap in the box, lay the first layer of cookies, lay another sheet of bubble wrap, then put another layer of cookies, etc. Depending on the size of the cookie,I can generally fit two dozen in there. Then I put the pizza box inside another box surrounded by packing materials, and ship. Important thing is to use enough packing material so nothing shifts; the box inside the box is an extra layer of protection in case something happens to the outside box.

Hope this helps!

EvMarie Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 12:26am
post #10 of 10

That helps a ton....

I think I was on the right track. I learned about the "no shifting" thing to ensure safe arrival thing on here as well. But, my original idea involved several boxes, similar to a pizza box inside of another box. So...I'd pack a layer of cookies in a box that's deep enough to just fit one layer. Do the bubble thing inside as you mentioned. Then, close up. Continue this idea with as many "skinny" boxes as I needed. Then, do the peanuts inside the outter box as well. I'll have to compare the price of pizza boxes to the boxes that were in my head. I think the pizza boxes are more sturdy though.

I'm glad to get confirmation on all these thoughts flying around in my head! I guess, I should just try it. Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%