How Do You Do This In Your Bakery?

Business By Mrs_O Updated 29 Mar 2010 , 2:01am by Taleesa

Mrs_O Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mrs_O Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 9:59pm
post #1 of 10

Hello all. I am currently using another business kitchen so I dont have to deal with walk-in customers right now. I am in the process of opening my own shop. I will have cupcakes (as well as other things) and I know that some customers will want single cupcakes. I will have boxes for dozens and I will have bags for single cinnimon rolls/ cookies but what do you guys use for single cupcakes. I would like to have one size that will work if you buy less than a dozen. Just thought I would see if anyone has any ideas. The single cupcake boxes are such a high percentage of my total cost. Thanks

9 replies
deanna_cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deanna_cake Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 10:36pm
post #2 of 10

I've purchased single cupcakes before at local places, they do make small bakery boxes (think the pink ones) that are about 4" by 4" or something very close to that size, and they range in size, so I'm sure you can fit 1-3 cupcakes in that one. And then for 6-12 find one sightly larger, or try and find those spacer things.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 10:41pm
post #3 of 10

brp boxshop dot com does offer single cupcake boxes. a 9 ounce squatty drink cup with lid also works.

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 11:50pm
post #4 of 10

If you have a GFS by you, check there.

CakesGoneSweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesGoneSweet Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 12:05am
post #5 of 10

I use the plastic sundae cup with the domed lid.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 1:03am
post #6 of 10

Even small deli containers (the clear kind that you get potato salad and stuff like that in) can be used upside-down like a mini cake-dome... this is how they package their single cupcakes @ whole foods.

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 2:15am
post #7 of 10

You can also ask them if they want it packaged or it they're going to eat it. We went to a cupcake shop once and watched them for 5 minutes box up our two cupcakes and put a pretty tag over the seam where the lid fits into the box only to have us tear into in 10 seconds flat and take out the cupcakes to eat them and throw the box in the trash.

Paul

splymale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
splymale Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 4:09pm
post #8 of 10

I use the 8 oz deli cups, but I've also seen small chinese take out containers used for cupcakes. They're very cute.

erinalicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinalicia Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 12:13am
post #9 of 10

I agree with Sweet_Guys, I would ask the customer if they would like the cupcake boxed which should help you keep your cost down, especially for single cupcake sales. Most people who buy a single cupcake are going to eat it very shortly after purchasing it.

If you are using a crusting type of icing or fondant on top, you could just put it into a bag for single sales or for those that plan to eat their treats immediately.

Taleesa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Taleesa Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 2:01am
post #10 of 10

Thanks for the info.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%