What Type Of Boxes For Pick Up Cakes

Decorating By shannycakers Updated 29 Mar 2010 , 2:11pm by ttehan4

shannycakers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannycakers Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 9:46pm
post #1 of 10

Hello all icon_smile.gif

Please tell me what type of box works best or how you all send your cake orders out.. I have some people that pick them up from the house but i havent found cheap boxes to send them with? Any ideas? I have found the rectangle boxes at craft stores but they are not high enough..

Thanks! Shannon icon_rolleyes.gif

9 replies
alene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alene Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 10:01pm
post #2 of 10

I have the same problem. Don't know why they don't sale boxes for a tall cake. If they do, I haven't been able to find one.

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 1:24am
post #3 of 10

I buy brown packing boxes in various sizes. Not pretty, but they do the job.

robyndmy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robyndmy Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 1:28am
post #4 of 10

Yes, very frustrating! Even Michaels doesn't sell any cake boxes higher than 4 inchs. Seems silly to me.

I know lots of the cakers here have recommended boxes from online sites, but the ones I saw were still pretty pricey.

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 2:30am
post #5 of 10

Many of the people who buy cakes from me are loyal longtime regulars, some for 20 years. I use real cake boxes with wooden cakeboards which are always returned to me within a week. I'd guess the initial expense is a lot more than the cardboard cake boxes and boards, but in the long run they have saved me a lot of money, with about 2400 cakes in 21 years. It's an honor system. They return my stuff or the get no more cake. Ever. If you have regular clients, perhaps this method would work for you.

For years and years I have used boxes and boards which look like the ones below. I have about 12 of each. The smaller one holds a 2-layer 9x13 quarter sheet or a small character cake. The larger one holds a 2-layer 12x18 half sheet or a larger character cake. My husband cuts the boards for me from 1/2" plywood which I cover with white Contact, and then foil. A couple of years ago, for Christmas my husband gave me 6 of the rectangular Wilton Cake Carriers, the ones with the removable cupcake tray inside. I use those now sometimes as well. Everything is always returned to me.
LL

shannycakers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannycakers Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 11:26am
post #6 of 10

Thank you for your input! I will def be buying some of those plactic boxes you have been using, thats a great idea!! THANKS SO MUCH

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 12:21pm
post #7 of 10

brpboxshop is a fav or here. I buy mine from CKProducts or BakeryCrafts.

shearpamela Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shearpamela Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 1:32pm
post #8 of 10

I went to UPS and bought a 16 inch box so my 14 inch cake drum would fit down into it. It was a couple of bucks but sturdy. I put that rubbery shelf liner in the bottom , cut to fit then set my cake on it. I taped saran wrap over the opening, and put the box onto more shelf liner in the vehicle to prevent as much movement as possible.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 1:48pm
post #9 of 10

I have a standard size flat 19x14 with window for slab cakes,cupcake cakes etc..If I am doing a tiered cake I get potato chip boxes from the school every month on chip day and re-tape them for strength and use those.Doesn't cost me anything!

ttehan4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ttehan4 Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 2:11pm
post #10 of 10

I buy the 6 inch high boxes at my cake shop and if it close to fitting I will prop the lid open and tape plastic wrap around the front opening of the box. Works well. Usually anything bigger I strongly suggest in be delivered.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%