Is This All You Do For A Living?

Decorating By jojo76 Updated 30 Mar 2010 , 4:40pm by DeeDelightful

jojo76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jojo76 Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 12:51pm
post #1 of 22

arrrggghhh! I just had a man arrive half hour late to pick up his son's birthday cake, he rings the bell, I answer, there he is on his phone!!
I said "have you come for your cake?" and he actually gestures that hes on the phone and carries on his conversation!!!
So I said to come in and he puts the phone down, once hes in, after talking really loudly all the way to the kitchen, I show him the cake, he's like "yeah ok, how much do I owe you", and takes out a massive WAD of money really ostentatiously, demanding some change as he hasnt brought the correct money, then as I come back with his change he says....
"So this is ALL you do all day? JUST make cakes?"
me: "Yep, that and look after two small boys", tried not to punch him one, Ive been up till ten every night this week getting cakes done, and their order only came in at the last minute two days ago...
Him "Interesting."
then he flounced out, cake balanced precariously in one hand, carrying on his phone call and left, without so much of a good bye!

I know Im going to meet people like this all the time, but I was like this icon_eek.gif when he said is this all you do lol! I have busted a gut this week!!! I havent even done any wedding cakes yet, I mainly do birthday cakes and anniversaries and so on. this is where the fun starts isnt it, Im off to grow a thicker skin lol!

21 replies
chassidyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chassidyg Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 1:05pm
post #2 of 22

Your cakes are gorgeous, Id want to smack him also, for not being wowed! Being a stay at home mom is tough work! Add in cakes & cookies, and it's more then a full time job! It seems some people have gotten more & more rude!

Dizzymaiden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dizzymaiden Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 1:11pm
post #3 of 22

What a creep! I wish you had told him that your an artist and this is your art! Has this guy been living under a rock, Food Network, Ace of Cakes, etc...!

Don't let this "ignoramous" spoil your self image. He must have sold out long ago to the corporate cookie cutter world (no pun intended).

That just burns me up icon_mad.gif !! Thankfully there are men and women in the world that understand just how hard it is to produce something creative and yummy...never mind raise children... whew I need a glass of cold water.

Bunsen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bunsen Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 1:21pm
post #4 of 22

As a stay at home mother myself I am in awe of anyone who can raise kids and find the time to run a cake business from home at the same time - I have enough trouble finding time for the odd hobby cake!

What an ignorant pig - straight on the "no cake for you" list in future!

JoyRide Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoyRide Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 1:28pm
post #5 of 22

Oh man... it would have been really hard for me not to say "Is this all you do ALL day? Be a total douchebag?" lol

Aurora_333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aurora_333 Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 1:42pm
post #6 of 22

Some people just don't have any manners. He was just Rude. I would have refused to acknowledge his presence til he got off the Stupid phone. That's just me.

cakemom42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemom42 Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 1:47pm
post #7 of 22

I would rather be known as a great mother than a great cake designer/pastry chef....
While I stay at home, on top of running a business and the usuals we all do everyday for our loving familes.. I also work as a substitute at the local schools (when my business is slow). I currently volunteer for the High School Band, the Color Guard, Wrestling Team, PTA, Athletic Booster Club, CAP (Civil Air Patrol); as well as participate in local & state level cake clubs. All of this in addition to any thing I do for our soldiers & military communities we live in.

NEVER Let ANYONE make you feel less than because you are a stay at home mom. & give your hubby (& kids) a kiss tonight for his understanding of who you are & all that you do :0)

jojo76 Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 4:00pm
post #8 of 22

Thanks everyone I feel much better for reading your posts! LOL Joyride, I will say this should I ever meet him again!! It is amazing how rude somepeople are and that they seem to be totally unconcerned about it...

pinky73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinky73 Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 6:14pm
post #9 of 22

Joyride's comment: For The Win!!

rosiecast Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiecast Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 6:38pm
post #10 of 22

Yeah i second joyride's comments. What an @$$

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 6:39pm
post #11 of 22

He is such a butthole, he was more interested in asking you the demeaning question than hearing the answer you gave him. No matter what you said to him, he would think you just sit around and pop open boxes of cake mix and cans of frosting all day. He's probably ticked because his significant other sent him to pick up the lil ole' cake...there's no help for his kind.

Lyndseyb52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lyndseyb52 Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 7:01pm
post #12 of 22

What a nasty little man !! I know some people don't appreciate the work that goes into our cakes but he just sounded horrible. I bet he'd be taking calls through out his son's birthday party too!

All the other good reactions you get from your customers will hopefully make up for him. I made a wedding cake for a couple and they got all emotional because they loved it so much, then came back an hour later with a thankyou card and bottle of champagne.

icon_smile.gif

Lyndsey xx

linstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linstead Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 7:17pm
post #13 of 22

Well at least he gave you cash and you didn't have to worry about chasing any bounced checks icon_rolleyes.gif

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 9:26pm
post #14 of 22

Douchebag is a much nicer word for him than I thought of icon_lol.gif . Wouldn't you hate to be his "old lady".

jayne1873 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jayne1873 Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 9:26pm
post #15 of 22

All you do charming eh. I work part time in admin and only recently have started to sell cake too.
I had a man pick a cake up and ask how old my daughter was, I said 4 and he said oh well she will start school soon and you can get a proper job!!!!

Mrs-A Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mrs-A Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 9:45pm
post #16 of 22

he may thinks that cakes is "all" that you do but guess what.... he cant do cakes so hes a step behind you already not to mention his lack of manners icon_wink.gif

and i love your cakes btw

linstead Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 9:59pm
post #17 of 22

tapedshut.gif

linstead Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 10:00pm
post #18 of 22

The above emotico would have been my response to both those guys!!!

jojo76 Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 12:59pm
post #19 of 22

well thanks everyone, and the "get a real job" comment is also very annoying. I used to childmind, so I got these types of comments a bit then too.....its just how people are I guess. Whatever he'll be laughing on the other side of his face when he comes back to order a wedding cake for one of his kids in a few years, and he finds me with a £1000 minimum order like Charm City Cakes lol!!

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 1:44pm
post #20 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayne1873

All you do charming eh. I work part time in admin and only recently have started to sell cake too.
I had a man pick a cake up and ask how old my daughter was, I said 4 and he said oh well she will start school soon and you can get a proper job!!!!

OMG! Did you punch him in the nose? What did you say? That would totally PO me! I haven't had anyone be negative about my full time cake job now, but people used to laugh in my face when I was a car salesman...guess I don't fit the profile (but it still ticked me off!)

ttehan4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ttehan4 Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 1:56pm
post #21 of 22

I would have asked "what is it that you do all day?" with a reply of "oh, thats it!"

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 4:40pm
post #22 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo76

well thanks everyone, and the "get a real job" comment is also very annoying. I used to childmind, so I got these types of comments a bit then too.....its just how people are I guess. Whatever he'll be laughing on the other side of his face when he comes back to order a wedding cake for one of his kids in a few years, and he finds me with a £1000 minimum order like Charm City Cakes lol!!

I agree! Next time they have an order, charge him as if "that's all you do all day, but you want to make it worth your trouble"...when his wife asks why such a significant price difference, just say "ask your husband"...i'll bet she understands without you even having to explain. She knows he's a butthole, already.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%