What To Do?!?

Decorating By alewop Updated 27 Mar 2010 , 1:19am by prterrell

alewop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alewop Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 10:48am
post #1 of 14

I've stayed up all night trying to get my satin ice fondant to roll out with out cracking everywhere. I've tried everything icon_sad.gif I've got the groom's cake and the 3 teir wedding cake im suppose to cover in this stuff and it's due sat.!!! Any ideas for making the fondant work? The closest I got was a "sticky" ball of fondant that still cracked. Didnt know that was possible. All i want to do is cover the groom's cake so I can go sleep for 4 hrs lol.

13 replies
TJCanadian Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TJCanadian Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 11:15am
post #2 of 14

Ok, first we need to know what you have tried.

jamiekwebb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiekwebb Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 1:08pm
post #3 of 14

Did you knead it with shortening? Maybe you added to much PS or Cornstarch when rolling it out. I have had trouble with Satin Ice as well, I would much rather work with MMF. Perhaps add no PS and roll it out on a silpat... that way you can use shortening when rolling it out.

alewop Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 5:13pm
post #4 of 14

tried cornstarch on the counter, powdered sugar on the counter, crisco on the counter. Tried kneading it longer, tried adding crisco into the fondant when it looked dry...adding powered sugar when it got sticky....rolling it thicker...rolling it thinner. I dont even get to the point where i can attempt to put it on the cake...it just breaks when kneeding it. [/list]

Bella214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bella214 Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 5:24pm
post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by alewop

tried cornstarch on the counter, powdered sugar on the counter, crisco on the counter. Tried kneading it longer, tried adding crisco into the fondant when it looked dry...adding powered sugar when it got sticky....rolling it thicker...rolling it thinner. I dont even get to the point where i can attempt to put it on the cake...it just breaks when kneeding it. [/list]

I hate to suggest this, but can you buy another batch? Maybe the fondant has just been messed with too much?

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 5:26pm
post #6 of 14

I agree. Start over. Run to your craft store and buy Wilton's fondant. It may not be the tastiest, but it is quite easy to work with. It's possible your fondant is overworked and has too many 'non-fondant' ingredients in it now. Take a DEEP breath. It will all be okay. icon_smile.gif

alewop Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 6:12pm
post #7 of 14

well i still have half of the big tub i bought left. so i will try again (now that ive had a few hours of sleep lol ) do u think if i have to use satin ice on some teirs and wilton on another it will be ok? i guess i could airbrush the whole thing with a pearl sheen......

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 6:27pm
post #8 of 14

I don't know if there would be a slight color variation because I haven't compared them... but if you have more satin ice than you should try that first. Good luck. Post a pic when you're done - I'm sure it will turn out great. That always happens to me: total nightmare cakes usually turn out the best. icon_rolleyes.gif

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 8:56pm
post #9 of 14

Try blending in some Wilton with your Satin Ice.

Sandy

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 10:55pm
post #10 of 14

Sorry, but you overworked that first batch to death.

I use SI all of the time. I knead in just the tiniest bit of crisco and roll on vinyl smeared with an invisible bit of crisco. CS is drying and PS makes it sticky if there's the slightest bit of humidity.

Too much crisco doesn't "moisten" fondant. It changes the balance and makes it separate.

I agree that the best bet is to go get some Wilton and mix it with the BAD batch to start with so that you don't waste so much SI--1/3 Wilton to 2/3 SI should give you a nice tasting product that is easy to work with. When you get to the "newer" SI, do the same thing and you shouldn't have the same problems at the get go.

I use the 1/3 Wilton+2/3 other fondant mix all of the time to overcome stickieness, softness, dryness, etc. with other brands all of the time. Wilton--the universal donor of fondants!

HTH
Rae

busymom-5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
busymom-5 Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 11:19pm
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by alewop

I've stayed up all night trying to get my fondant to roll out with out cracking everywhere. I've tried everything icon_sad.gif I've got the groom's cake and the 3 teir wedding cake im suppose to cover in this stuff and it's due sat.!!! Any ideas for making the fondant work? The closest I got was a "sticky" ball of fondant that still cracked. Didnt know that was possible. All i want to do is cover the groom's cake so I can go sleep for 4 hrs lol.

We had the same problem last night. We tried everything and started looking on the internet and found this lovely forum. We made up a batch of MMF, awesome!! It worked wonders. Now we have to call the place we got the Satin Ice from and see if we can get a refund. We are not impressed with it at all.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 11:36pm
post #12 of 14

Oh man, I hate when that happens. I feel for ya. I hate SI fondant. I've never had good luck with it and I've tried it several times...cracking, sagging, elephant skin...all of the above. A friend of mine bought some for a wedding cake and she had trouble with it as well. I don't know if they have poor quality control or what, but she ditched that batch and bought a new bucket (yes, all that money down the drain) and it worked well enough that she got the cake done but it was a chore.

If you mix some modeling chocolate, made with white chocolate (white choc. chips are fine), and mix that with the Wilton, it actually tastes like the white chocolate and I find the workability VERY good. This may be too late to help this time, but maybe it'll come in handy with the next cake.

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 1:14am
post #13 of 14

[quote="I use the 1/3 Wilton+2/3 other fondant mix all of the time to overcome stickieness, softness, dryness, etc. with other brands all of the time. Wilton--the universal donor of fondants!

HTH
Rae[/quote]

Ditto That!!!!! thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 1:19am
post #14 of 14

I use SI exclusively and have never had a problem with it. I knead it on a surface buffed with shortening and with shortening on my hands and then roll it out with a tiny bit of shortening on the surface and my rolling pin.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%