Applying Ganache

Decorating By Sweet_Kakes Updated 28 Mar 2010 , 10:31am by Makeitmemorable

Sweet_Kakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Kakes Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 7:19pm
post #1 of 9

I am just curious how i should apply my ganache? Should I do the pouring type or let it set up over night and the slather it on after. My ganache will be going under fondant.

Thanx

8 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 8:09pm
post #2 of 9

It's almost impossible to apply ganache once it has set up. Once set up it has a consistence similar to fudge.

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 8:23pm
post #3 of 9

I agree with ^^^

The ganache should be spredding consistency - a little softer than creamy peanut butter.

Usually cooled 2-3 hours does the trick or in the fridge for a bit, but watch it if you put it in the fridge you don't want it to get hard.

Marci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marci Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 8:24pm
post #4 of 9

Just reheat it, put your cake on a wire rack over a cookie sheet (to catch the run off) and pour it all over the top. Make sure you cover the sides completely.

marci

Sweet_Kakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Kakes Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 3:09am
post #5 of 9

thank you all so much i will test it out before making the final product for sure...

CakeEvolution Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeEvolution Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 3:26am
post #6 of 9

Definitely do a taste test as well, some people find the chocolate a little too rich. I am still in the process of trying to "tone" it down for my mother...lol

Gabriellehb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gabriellehb Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 10:01am
post #7 of 9

If it is going under fondant you need to have the choc/cream ratio such as to give a firm surface when it has set, therwise the soft ganache will ooze out from under the fondant. I think the ratio is 3 parts choc to 1 part cream. Once the cake as been ganached leave it to set up overnight before covering.

suzied Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzied Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 12:02pm
post #8 of 9

Applied ganache under fondant lately, with the help of cc viewers. Dark choc 2 to 1 part cream OR 3:1 milk/white choc. I made it and kept in the fridge for 1hr and applied it with a spatula. after smoothing it out kept it over night and covered with fondant. (Before covering with fondant, i brushed the cake with sugar syrup) Hope this helps

Makeitmemorable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Makeitmemorable Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 10:31am
post #9 of 9

I use ganache under 90% of my cakes. The consistency needs to be like margarine - easy to spread but not soft enough to run. If it is too runny, as mentioned, it will come out from under the fondant. It needs to be thick enough to smooth around the cake and stay in place. My mixture is 300grams dark cooking chocolate to 200mls cream.

Good luck
Kim

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%