Consultation/tasting For Petit Fours???

Decorating By AmandaLeigh00 Updated 26 Mar 2010 , 1:18am by The_Lil_Cakehouse

AmandaLeigh00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmandaLeigh00 Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 6:35pm
post #1 of 10

I have a potential customer who is asking me to do petit fours for a baby shower next month. I quoted her a VERY generous price and beat all other quotes they had gotten out of the water. Now she is telling me she wants to schedule a tasting and taste a petit four first. My first reaction was "this is a baby shower, not a wedding." I can't imagine going through making even a small cake, the poured fondant, etc...just for ONE petit four (or even a couple just for a tasting). Have any of you done this before? I understand she wants to know she is getting quality. How should I approach this?

TIA!
Amanda

9 replies
lisamenz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisamenz Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 6:52pm
post #2 of 10

The more you give them for free, the more they will take for free. You gave her a very good deal on the petit fours for her baby shower, if she wants more and you have to do samples, then make her pay for that part of your time. Better find out now, that way she won't be a pain the behind later icon_smile.gif If she doesn't understand that, then she doesn't understand business. This is my way of dealing with that, good luck and hope it all works out thumbs_up.gif

AmandaLeigh00 Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 6:57pm
post #3 of 10

Thanks Lisa! I'm going to email her and give her the option of paying for for a few or not doing a tasting and explaining why just one is basically impossible. I know people outside of the cake business have no clue usually about things like that...but you're right. If she's a good customer, then she'll understand that's business! Thank you!

The_Lil_Cakehouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Lil_Cakehouse Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 6:58pm
post #4 of 10

Just tell her your quote did not include a tasting, and a tasting is such and such money. That way you don't go to all the trouble of doing a tasting and THEN she says nevermind. I find it weird she wants to do a tasting for a Baby Shower.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 6:58pm
post #5 of 10

If you quoted anything less than $6 each, I'm betting that you will regret the quote. If she wants some ahead of time, then she can BUY a dozen.

AmandaLeigh00 Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 7:03pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

If you quoted anything less than $6 each, I'm betting that you will regret the quote. If she wants some ahead of time, then she can BUY a dozen.

Haha..I saw your posting Leah in a previous thread about this. I did quote less than that, and yes probably will regret it. But, I don't think it's fair for me to quote as much as others who have been doing this much longer. I know that's a whole 'nother topic in itself. But, By going just a little less until I get more experience, I think that is only fair to my customers.

And Cakehouse, yes that is basically what I am doing! I too was suprised she wanted a tasting for a baby shower. But I thought I might have been just naive there.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 8:47pm
post #7 of 10

Length of time you've been making cakes has nothing to do with how much you charge. It's business, fair isn't something you should be considering because it has no place in business.

If you got the skills then the customer pays the bills! icon_lol.gif

AmandaLeigh00 Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 8:50pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by prterrell

Length of time you've been making cakes has nothing to do with how much you charge. It's business, fair isn't something you should be considering because it has no place in business.

If you got the skills then the customer pays the bills! icon_lol.gif

Thanks...I understand that. I guess it just makes sense in my mind, but I don't mean to undercut others in the business. I appreciate the input!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 9:42pm
post #9 of 10

"I'm sorry ... I dont' have a recipe that makes ONE petit four." icon_eek.gif

And ditto to prterrell's comments. thumbs_up.gif

The_Lil_Cakehouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Lil_Cakehouse Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 1:18am
post #10 of 10

haha, Well Why not Indydebi?! LOL!! Yes, I too agree with Prterrell! Because for one, when you decide you're able to charge more, then you'll have people complain about you raising prices, and are you gonna say, Well I got better.......frankly they don't care icon_smile.gif Start your business off right, hard to change direction in the middle icon_smile.gif

ETA: Here's a different comparison, I'm a Realtor at my day job, and they day I got my license I charged 6% just like the people who've been doing it 30 years icon_smile.gif I didn't discount cause I was 19 and a new Realtor.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%