Sinking Cakes!!!

Decorating By ohayr639 Updated 25 Mar 2010 , 6:53pm by The_Lil_Cakehouse

ohayr639 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ohayr639 Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 5:18pm
post #1 of 6

How do I keep my cakes from sinking in the middle?! They perfect while they are baking (with bake even strips and flower nails) and then somewhere between the middle of baking and the end they sink anywhere from 1/2 in to 1 in in the middle. I learned the hard way awhile ago not to open the oven until I can smell it so I stopped doing that but I don't know why thye sink. I am sick of wasting cake and feeling like I have to make another layer because I am not getting the height I need. Any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated.

I have to rebake the cakes for my daughter's birthday tonight and want to get it right. They still taste super yummy, just ask my dog, he is the reason I am rebaking tonight!

5 replies
sheena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheena Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 5:32pm
post #2 of 6

Lower your oven temperature and try baking... If you're baking at 180C, lower it to 170C....

Brenda41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brenda41 Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 5:35pm
post #3 of 6

It could be the flour. That happened to me. I changed flour brand, and the problem disappeared. Check the oven temperature. Good luck!

katies_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katies_cakes Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 6:19pm
post #4 of 6

I agree, check your oven temp. also dont open the oven door untill at least 3/4 of the estimated cooking time has elapsed.

hope this helps, good luck.

ohayr639 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ohayr639 Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 6:28pm
post #5 of 6

Thank you all so much! I was also thinking oven temp but wanted to make sure for sure!

The_Lil_Cakehouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Lil_Cakehouse Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 6:53pm
post #6 of 6

Yesterday I made a cake and the first one sank, I lessened the amount of batter I put in, and it didn't sink the second time. Same Temp, HOWEVER, I'm not sure if that was the reason, but it was the only thing I changed.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%