Do You Refridgerate Your Fondant Cakes???

Decorating By multilayered Updated 26 Mar 2010 , 11:23am by dalis4joe

multilayered Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
multilayered Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 4:20pm
post #1 of 13

This may sound like an odd question, but I have spoken with many decorators who do not. If the cake is made with crusting butter cream and fondant they do not refrigerate it, so what do you do??? Also how many days in advance would you cover your cakes in the initial fondant layer before they are due??? I have been covering the day of and doing EVERYTHING that day, could I do it the night before, and if so should I store it in the fridge??? I know when fondant comes to room temp after being chilled it get a dewy feeling & appearance. Just curious what you do? Thanks

12 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 4:31pm
post #2 of 13

I never refrigerate my fondant covered cakes and I usually have mine completed the day before. Some do however and say they don't have any problems doing so. If you do refrigerate it will "sweat" due to condensation but it will dry and be fine. Just don't touch it while wet or you will leave finger prints.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 4:35pm
post #3 of 13

the first question is, why refridgerate? if you have a perishable filling, then yes, you must refridgerate. if you do not, then it is personal choice. (most bc does not need refridgerated). my feeling is, why bother, and who has that much room in their fridge anyway?!

how fondant copes in the fridge seems to depend on a lot - the fridge, the local weather, sheer luck. any condensation will evaporate, just dont touch the cake.

my cakes are good for at least 5 days after they are baked and covered in bc or fondant. or even just wrap and cover the naked sponge. so you can get started several days before a cake is due - this is a better strategy, as then you give the cake time to settle, and allow time for any mishaps.
xx

jessfillmore03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessfillmore03 Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 4:35pm
post #4 of 13

Never ever ever ever!

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 4:47pm
post #5 of 13

If you cover the cake with a thin layer of buttercream and then fondant, do you have a problem with the cake weeping fluid from the bottom after a day or so. If you do, how do you prevent it.

anotherslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anotherslice Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 4:50pm
post #6 of 13

I'm new at dealing with fondant...however, I successfully froze some fondant cupcakes this week because I couldn't eat all 16 cupcakes in 5 days. Whenever I want one, I just place it in the fridge for a few hours, then let it sit on the counter overnight in a ziplock container that's cracked open. The cupcake is a little moist from the condensation, but that's fine with me. I'd normally share them with co-workers/neighbors but the more baked goods I bring, the more they expect, which led me to my freezing experiment. I'll be sure to try it with fondant covered cake.

brea1026 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brea1026 Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 4:51pm
post #7 of 13

I think it depends on where you are. I live in AZ and I refrigerate EVERY cake that I make. I do this because it is SO much more stable when transporting. I never have cracks or breakage. Like someone else said, don't touch it until it has dried though. I don't know anything about how it affects cakes in humid weather though. =0)

malene541 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malene541 Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 4:55pm
post #8 of 13

I've covered a cake the day before in BC then let it sit overnight in the fridge for the fondant the next morning. I've covered a BC cake with fondant and let it sit out roomtemp overnight and in the fridge overnight. I didn't have any problems with any of these cakes! My fondant refrigerated cake wasn't moist or tacky at all. I did make sure the fridge door wasn't opened a ton of times so the fridge didn't need to run a lot (it's a new fridge too). The roomtemp fondant cake I made sure the furnace was turned way down so the house was pretty cool all night. And the BC cake in the fridge the next morning was nicely crusted but not too bad and didn't weep at all after I had taken it out to cover it with fondant.
After I had done all my "tests" I realized that now I do what I have time for! I think location, humidity and mybe luck are a for sure factors!!

Jesse0977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jesse0977 Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 5:52pm
post #9 of 13

I was wondering about refrigerating a fondant cake. The customer requested fresh strawberries in the middle of the cake. What do you do on that case? I guess it's better to refrigerate the cake than have soggy strawberries.

Also I just moved back to Peru a few months ago and the humidity is ridiculous. My buttercream doesn't set all the way. When i try to smooth it with the fondant smoother it sticks to it. Sometimes after covering the cake with fondant it looks like it sags on some sides because the buttercream underneath starts to get too soft.

Any suggestions??

ThreePrinces Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThreePrinces Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 6:53pm
post #10 of 13

I always do. But that's because I hate buttercream made out of shortening and always make mine out of unsalted butter. So I worry about spoilage. (Salted butter woudl be fine I think because the salt is a preservative, but I never know about the unsalted. So I play it safe.) I also get requests for curds quite a bit and I want those kept in the fridge.

I've never had any issues with discoloration or condensation. I wonder if this is because I'm in Colorado where the air is very dry..?

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 9:21am
post #11 of 13

ThreePrinces - unsalted butter in buttercream doesnt matter, it doesnt need refridgerated.

Jesse0977 - what recipe do you use, cause you might want to look at a shotening based one. or, i wonder how ganache would hold up? do some research into the best way to use real strawberries as a filling - do a search, theres some good posts.
xx

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 10:07am
post #12 of 13

I always refrigerate my cakes. Well, except for the dummy cakes of course.

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 11:23am
post #13 of 13

lol Ry!!!

I fridge my cakes covered with BC.... I always fondant & fonish the cake the day before like others said... never the day of... what is you have a mishap ? then u have to rush things... it's too much to do at the last minute... it's not fair for you....

At the Expo they yalked about this and... they said it's fine if you fridge them covered in fondant BUT the condensation depends on your fridge... and if you have a commercial fridge... Ron Ben Israel said you can always call your vendor/Co. Rep. and thell them the problem you are having and they can come in and do some adjustments to it and that CAN be fixed....

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%