Satin Ice Ivory Fondant

Decorating By SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Updated 1 Apr 2010 , 10:04pm by greengyrl26

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 1:37pm
post #1 of 26

Has anyone else had trouble with Satin Ice Ivory? Mine keeps tearing. I've tried everything... I'm not a novice at fondant, so I'm not sure if it's a bad batch or what. It's like it's not a solid look, like it has pieces coming apart. I've tried kneading it more....less....longer...shorter...upside down... adding crisco....adding cornstarch...adding sugar... right side up.... and holding my mouth differently...just won't stop tearing!!!!!!!!!UGGGG icon_mad.gif

25 replies
busymom-5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
busymom-5 Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 10:24am
post #2 of 26

We are having the exact same problem. We can roll it out and when we go to put it on the cake, it starts tearing on the top edge. This is the first time we have used Satin Ice and were really excited, now with a wedding cake to get out by Saturday, we are under the gun. We are thinking about going to buy a bunch of wilton fondant and try that.

alewop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alewop Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 10:35am
post #3 of 26

same problem! I've literally been up all night trying to get the right consistantcy. The only difference is mine is white satin ice. It doesnt make sense that the fondant can be sticky mushy....and breaking at the same time! I have to have this cake by sat. too and thought $ 80.00 fondant should have worked....GRRRR!

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 1:09pm
post #4 of 26

Are you kneading shortening in it? You also might be rolling it too thick and the weight is causing cracking.

busymom-5 Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 3:46pm
post #5 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissRobin

Are you kneading shortening in it? You also might be rolling it too thick and the weight is causing cracking.

No, will this help? We have tried thinner and thicker, talked to some pros in the area. One suggested that the fondant was dry before it was shipped to us.

It seems to start cracking at the top corner seams.

We are now in the process of scratching the satin ice and using the MMF recipe from Rhonda. If that doesn't work, then off to buy wilton icon_sad.gif

What a pain! with this cake due out tomorrow.

busymom-5 Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 11:13pm
post #6 of 26

We are working with the MMF recipe by Rhonda. It is great, we made up about 18lbs (each recipe is about 3lbs) let it sit for a few hours and it is rolling great and going on nice! Super tasty also. Just got our 6" top done!

busymom-5 Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 1:03am
post #7 of 26

Here's the pics from the 18" base. We love MMF! Made today at noon and on the cake by 9pm. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif
LL
LL

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 1:07am
post #8 of 26

Wow, my first batch off mmf was a disaster. I'm going to have to try again if you're getting results like thaticon_smile.gif

busymom-5 Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 2:59am
post #9 of 26

Here's the link to Rhondas Ultimate MMF!
It took me a while to find it after reading so much about it.

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/3183/Rhondas-Ultimate-MMF

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 3:30am
post #10 of 26

I use alot of Satin Ice but yeah...if its old...it can crack like that on the edges. I only know because I always keep my leftover colors, and I tried using a color I'd had around for awhile, and it was definitely cracking. But then I got some fresh white out and recolored it and it worked great.

Where did you get yours? (You can PM me if you want)...maybe the place you got it, had it sitting around a long time?

I've been getting mine at a local bakery place and I'm not sure exactly who their supplier is...but it always seems fresh. The ivory is not as popular as the white and could possibly get "old" if nobody is ordering it for awhile?

I did save the Rhonda recipe though just in case I need it in a pinch!

busymom-5 Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 3:39am
post #11 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

I use alot of but yeah...if its old...it can crack like that on the edges. I only know because I always keep my leftover colors, and I tried using a color I'd had around for awhile, and it was definitely cracking. But then I got some fresh white out and recolored it and it worked great.

Where did you get yours? (You can PM me if you want)...maybe the place you got it, had it sitting around a long time?

I've been getting mine at a local bakery place and I'm not sure exactly who their supplier is...but it always seems fresh. The ivory is not as popular as the white and could possibly get "old" if nobody is ordering it for awhile?

I did save the Rhonda recipe though just in case I need it in a pinch!

We ordered it from a bakery in Orlando. (which will remain nameless, until I discuss it with them) No one locally (Augusta, GA) carries any fondant.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 3:41am
post #12 of 26

Hmm yeah I'd definitely discuss it with them. I'm thinking whatever they sold you was sitting too long. There should be a "manufactured" date on the side...was there?

busymom-5 Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 3:05pm
post #13 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

There should be a "manufactured" date on the side...was there?

Well the date was fine on the label, but it looked like it had a second label underneath, we tried to pull off the top label but could find a date on that one.

Here's the final cake we finished. With MMF!! thumbs_up.gif
LL
LL

Shannon1129 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shannon1129 Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 5:49pm
post #14 of 26

Looks like you guys made it happen .... beautifully. Sorry for all your troubles.

FrostedFantasies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostedFantasies Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 2:08am
post #15 of 26

We ordered it from a bakery in Orlando. (which will remain nameless, until I discuss it with them) No one locally (Augusta, GA) carries any fondant.[/quote]

REEEEEAAALLLY??? Hmmm, I ordered mine from (I'm guessing) the same establishmentthree weeks ago. Bought 15 pounds for a wedding cake last weekend and had the SAME PROBLEM. Had to re-roll and try three times to get the base cake fondant to stick...thanks goodness I has RI flowers already made to cover the tears.....but yes, it was very dry, esp. compared to the other SI fondant I buy from them (which is almost gooey!)

FrostedFantasies Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 2:40am
post #16 of 26

It turned out beautifully! Your scrollwork looks great too! thumbs_up.gif

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 5:12am
post #17 of 26

I have had that problem with SI Ivory in the past, plenty fresh and all. The tearing that happens with old SI is a different kind.... I just knead mine a little longer but some batches are pretty much unusable icon_sad.gif. I have never had it happen with the white, so maybe just stick to coloring white ivory?

Skirt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Skirt Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 7:00am
post #18 of 26

Not sure what you're paying there for SI, but do the prices compare to GSA? They're consistently 50% less than my local cake store. And that's factoring in shipping...

Nice cake BTW!

FrostedFantasies Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 11:17am
post #19 of 26

@skirt- I priced out both places a couple of times, including shipping. (that's the killer!) This place is cheaper, and since I live in Florida priority mail usually ends up being "next day." icon_smile.gif
I wish SI sold directly!

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 2:53am
post #20 of 26

They do icon_smile.gif
satinfinefoods dot com

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 4:09pm
post #21 of 26

Buzymom - gorgeous cake!

busymom-5 Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 9:47pm
post #22 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostedFantasies

We ordered it from a bakery in Orlando. (which will remain nameless, until I discuss it with them) No one locally (Augusta, GA) carries any fondant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostedFantasies

REEEEEAAALLLY??? Hmmm, I ordered mine from (I'm guessing) the same establishmentthree weeks ago. Bought 15 pounds for a wedding cake last weekend and had the SAME PROBLEM. Had to re-roll and try three times to get the base cake fondant to stick...thanks goodness I has RI flowers already made to cover the tears.....but yes, it was very dry, esp. compared to the other SI fondant I buy from them (which is almost gooey!)

We ordered from DandGOccasions, Doug personally took my call, They do not do offer refunds, and he moves a ton of satin ice, so he pointed me to Satin Ice Co. for any further action I need to take. Doug was really helpful and asked me to call tomorrow to discuss it with his decorator, so she could figure what is wrong. Probably going no where with a refund, we'll just have to eat the money, and the satin ice, lol.

pinkcmc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkcmc Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 8:58pm
post #23 of 26

I may be a little late to the conversation, but I an so glad I topic. I finished a cake last night and had so many issues with the SI Ivory vanilla. My major issue was the cracking after it was applied to the cake...I had colored it brown for a football and went on fine, but then I noticed all this cracking on the back side. After I read that it may have been old...I think in this case that was my issue.

But another issue came up with the pre colored SI fondant in purple. The color just was not - how do I say - "vibrant". I applied it to the cake and the color just didn't look right - almost like powdered sugar was still on it and wasnt absorbed by the fondant. Its frustrating, because I feel it make my work sloppy...is this attributed to old/dried out fondant also? Is there a technique to have the color "pop"?

Tracy7953 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tracy7953 Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 9:33pm
post #24 of 26

Well, I just have to add my two cents about Satin Ice....I have had a lot of trouble with it too! When I started using it about two years ago, it worked fine. They must have changed recipes or something in the last year or so because now it tears, droops and is AWFUL to work with! I am so sad because I loved the look of it. I have switched to Rhonda's MMF and love love love it! You roll it out, smoooth it on and it STAYS where you put it and holds its shape.

pinkcmc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkcmc Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 9:39pm
post #25 of 26

Thanks for your two cents! I am still fairly new at working with fondant and thought it was me and my inexperience - which probably still plays a large role, but to see that others seem to have some of the same difficulties, it makes me feel a little bit better. I am definitely going to try the MMF recipeicon_smile.gif

greengyrl26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greengyrl26 Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 10:04pm
post #26 of 26

Hmmm....I've never had an issue with SI at all! I have heard about people having bad batches of it though, and SI usually just ships a new one if you call...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%